Your Favourite Purchases of 2019

Started by Que, December 12, 2019, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 16, 2019, 01:00:06 AM
For me, 2019 can just be summed by one word : Lyrita. My maiden foray into this label for their British composers has been immensely rewarding and enjoyable.

Favourites:
[asin]B000027QVL[/asin][asin]B000N8UVRQ[/asin][asin]B000056Z63[/asin][asin]B000S75CB2[/asin][asin]B073FD61S5[/asin]

Favourites on the way with works I already know and love :
[asin]B000OCZ1O4[/asin][asin]B0014FLGRQ[/asin][asin]B000N8UVR6[/asin]

Non-Lyrita very special mentions :
[asin]B0007SK9L0[/asin][asin]B07FDQRLW9[/asin][asin]B00000149U[/asin]
All very fine (for a beginner  ;) ;D), though I never explored the unfathomable George Lloyd (everytime over the last twenty years I wanted to order for these CDs, prices jumped up spontaneously, probably because you & Smuggling Jeffrey were buying them all).

Somehow, I seem to consider Lloyd a brazen Romantic too, Romanticism the one and only trait I cannot endure in any great type of music (Tchaikovsky, Rakhmaninoff, Dvořák, Saint-Saëns, Bizet, Suk, sometimes even Atterberg, Grieg and Julius Röntgen excluding of course, yet still a horrible thing, in music especially). What's George Lloyd aka Miss Marple like as a composer BTW?  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

A few other purchases I'm rather enthralled by:

Que

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 23, 2019, 03:34:43 AM
This year was the first in my life in which I've taken a serious interest in classical music, so I bought tons of stuff, much of it core-library type acquisitions. I'll post just a few of my favorites here:

^Changed the way I view Brahms, now a favorite composer

Fully endorse that choice.  :)

QuoteThat's it off the top of my head... I think I spent close to $1000 on CDs this year  :o

Wow!  :)

Elk

I'm sorry. I just bought a collection of 11,000, mostly classical CDs, give or take  thousand, and I can't recommend anything yet. I'm too overwhelmed and just sorting them into categories and what to keep. The owner didn't collect anything before Hadyn, and there is a wealth of 20th century music by composers of whom I've never heard, nor whose music I've ever heard. I should be busy for a while or two-- lucky me. Now that Christmas festivities are over and I've had a break from the CDs for a week, I can go back to sorting and listening.  :)

Christo

Quote from: Elk on December 27, 2019, 02:59:56 AM
I'm sorry. I just bought a collection of 11,000, mostly classical CDs, give or take  thousand, and I can't recommend anything yet. I'm too overwhelmed and just sorting them into categories and what to keep. The owner didn't collect anything before Hadyn, and there is a wealth of 20th century music by composers of whom I've never heard, nor whose music I've ever heard. I should be busy for a while or two-- lucky me. Now that Christmas festivities are over and I've had a break from the CDs for a week, I can go back to sorting and listening.  :)
Just brought about 600 CDs out of my total of around 6000 to the charity, mostly 20th Century too. Give me a sign next time you have some more spare room to offer (I don't).  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Les Siècles conducted by Francois-Xavier Roth have featured three times in my purchases this year - Berlioz Harold en Itaile (and other works) & Symphonie Fantastique, also Mahler's Symphonic Poem Titan - all excellent.

Que

I guess "wow" doesn't quite cut it....  :D
Since a lot of these collections are coming available now and at 50 I hope to have still some milage left, I might consider something like that. Provided that there is sufficient overlap in taste between me and the former owner.
Also, I'll have to move first, before I would be able to store it all...  :)

Q

Harry

Ohhh 11.000, that peanuts for me, considering the amount that came in during the last 5 years. I am still sorting, and luckily a lot pre Haydn.
Lots of strength and time for you!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

The people round here seem to love their late 20th Century music, I never find any in the charity shops :(.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2019, 07:20:49 PM
A few other purchases I'm rather enthralled by:

Good to see those Britten CDs, John. The Turn of the Screw looks like a must listen according to several enthusiastic opinions.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Christo

Quote from: 2dogs on December 27, 2019, 04:38:35 AM
The people round here seem to love their late 20th Century music, I never find any in the charity shops :(.

Have a try in ours:  ;)
Quote from: Christo on December 27, 2019, 03:06:07 AM
Just brought about 600 CDs out of my total of around 6000 to the charity, mostly 20th Century too. Give me a sign next time you have some more spare room to offer (I don't).  :D

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on December 26, 2019, 04:37:49 PM
All very fine (for a beginner  ;) ;D), though I never explored the unfathomable George Lloyd (everytime over the last twenty years I wanted to order for these CDs, prices jumped up spontaneously, probably because you & Smuggling Jeffrey were buying them all).

Somehow, I seem to consider Lloyd a brazen Romantic too, Romanticism the one and only trait I cannot endure in any great type of music (Tchaikovsky, Rakhmaninoff, Dvořák, Saint-Saëns, Bizet, Suk, sometimes even Atterberg, Grieg and Julius Röntgen excluding of course, yet still a horrible thing, in music especially). What's George Lloyd aka Miss Marple like as a composer BTW?  :)

I would think Lloyd's music would be very much to your taste - considering he's become one of my favorite composers - but I could be wrong! He's very much the equivalent of Atterberg in Sweden, Braga Santos in Portugal, or Hanson in the US - a big-hearted, Romantic symphonist who composed well into the second half of the 20th century while still writing in a distinctly individual style. The Lyrita set of the 4th, 5th, and 8th symphonies is a great place to start with Lloyd - in great performances by the Philharmonia under Edward Downes. They're all big, meaty works with colorful orchestration, drama, and memorable tunes. If you like them, don't miss out on the 6th and 7th symphonies (also coupled on Lyrita). They're Lloyd's two most diametrically symphonies - the 6th light and breezy, and the 7th darkly sinister, perhaps Lloyd's masterpiece.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on December 27, 2019, 11:54:08 AM
I would think Lloyd's music would be very much to your taste - considering he's become one of my favorite composers - but I could be wrong! He's very much the equivalent of Atterberg in Sweden, Braga Santos in Portugal, or Hanson in the US - a big-hearted, Romantic symphonist who composed well into the second half of the 20th century while still writing in a distinctly individual style. The Lyrita set of the 4th, 5th, and 8th symphonies is a great place to start with Lloyd - in great performances by the Philharmonia under Edward Downes. They're all big, meaty works with colorful orchestration, drama, and memorable tunes. If you like them, don't miss out on the 6th and 7th symphonies (also coupled on Lyrita). They're Lloyd's two most diametrically symphonies - the 6th light and breezy, and the 7th darkly sinister, perhaps Lloyd's masterpiece.
Thanks so very, much appreciated. You're underlining exactly, I first thought wittingly, now guess perhaps unwittingly, my hesitation. A brazen Romantic! Not unlike Atterberg, Hanson or even Bax and Sibelius, composers I hardly ever listen to ......  ??? Romanticism, you know, the one and only thing I cannot stand in all great music. Happy to say that Braga Santos escapes my horrible verdict, yet he isn't a Romantic of course, but Neo-Classicist in the broad sense that convinces me, and me only, about all ''non-Romantic[ist] but rather Neo-Classicist'' composers, a long list that happens to include many we both love, Vaughan Williams and Alwyn including.

Sorry for my indiscriminate rambling, enjoy Lloyd, I´ll try Mrs Marble´s Sixth and Seventh on Spotify first & wish you all a Happy New Year for the week to come.  0:) 

Daverz

Quote from: Christo on December 28, 2019, 03:31:54 AM
Thanks so very, much appreciated. You're underlining exactly, I first thought wittingly, now guess perhaps unwittingly, my hesitation. A brazen Romantic! Not unlike Atterberg, Hanson or even Bax and Sibelius, composers I hardly ever listen to ......  ??? Romanticism, you know, the one and only thing I cannot stand in all great music. Happy to say that Braga Santos escapes my horrible verdict, yet he isn't a Romantic of course, but Neo-Classicist in the broad sense that convinces me, and me only, about all ''non-Romantic[ist] but rather Neo-Classicist'' composers, a long list that happens to include many we both love, Vaughan Williams and Alwyn including.

Sorry for my indiscriminate rambling, enjoy Lloyd, I´ll try Mrs Marble´s Sixth and Seventh on Spotify first & wish you all a Happy New Year for the week to come.  0:)

My favorite Miss Marple is Margaret Rutherford

No nonsense in her symphonies, I can assure you.

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on December 28, 2019, 03:31:54 AM

You're welcome, Johan! I understand your musical tastes more clearly now. Although Lloyd's music could be broadly categorized as "neo-romantic" it is still very much of the 20th century in its harmonies and orchestration - he never engages in mere pastiche. I'd say his music is generally more modern-sounding than Atterberg or Hanson, for instance. Yes, I think the 6th and 7th symphonies would be a good place for you to start. The 6th is a super-succinct, delightful work and the 7th is Lloyd's darkest and most psychological utterance. You might find the slow movements of both works too "Romantic" but I think you'd find much to enjoy in the outer movements, at least. Please report back when you find a chance to listen, and Happy New Year to you as well! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 27, 2019, 08:03:43 AM
Good to see those Britten CDs, John. The Turn of the Screw looks like a must listen according to several enthusiastic opinions.

It is, indeed, Cesar. You can buy this recording cheap second-hand. That is, if you want to buy the original on Collins Classics which is OOP. This original recording gives you the libretto and has good booklet notes. I'm not sure how the reissue on Naxos is, but if you can get it even cheaper, then go for it. You won't be sorry with this purchase.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on December 27, 2019, 03:15:44 AM
Les Siècles conducted by Francois-Xavier Roth have featured three times in my purchases this year - Berlioz Harold en Itaile (and other works) & Symphonie Fantastique, also Mahler's Symphonic Poem Titan - all excellent.

They are all of interest to me, thanks for pointing them out.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on December 28, 2019, 06:47:55 AM
You're welcome, Johan! I understand your musical tastes more clearly now. Although Lloyd's music could be broadly categorized as "neo-romantic" it is still very much of the 20th century in its harmonies and orchestration - he never engages in mere pastiche. I'd say his music is generally more modern-sounding than Atterberg or Hanson, for instance. Yes, I think the 6th and 7th symphonies would be a good place for you to start. The 6th is a super-succinct, delightful work and the 7th is Lloyd's darkest and most psychological utterance. You might find the slow movements of both works too "Romantic" but I think you'd find much to enjoy in the outer movements, at least. Please report back when you find a chance to listen, and Happy New Year to you as well! :)

I really can't understand some people's aversion to Romantic symphonic music. Colorful and lush orchestration, gorgeous, sweeping and heartmelting tunes (the best of which will stay in one's head for a long time, forever even), plenty of drama, feelings and thoughts, overall an exhilarating experience, both sensual and intellectual --- what more could one ask for?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on December 28, 2019, 07:54:02 AM
I really can't understand some people's aversion to Romantic symphonic music. Colorful and lush orchestration, gorgeous, sweeping and heartmelting tunes (the best of which will stay in one's head for a long time, forever even), plenty of drama, feelings and thoughts, overall an exhilarating experience, both sensual and intellectual --- what more could one ask for?

Speaking as someone who loves Romantic symphonic music, I could see that some may not like it because it's too "bombastic" or causes them sensory overload. Some prefer music which inhabits a simpler and more restrained mode of expression.

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on December 28, 2019, 08:51:49 AM
Speaking as someone who loves Romantic symphonic music, I could see that some may not like it because it's too "bombastic" or causes them sensory overload. Some prefer music which inhabits a simpler and more restrained mode of expression.

Me loves that, too.

There's a time for everything under the sun: a time for Mahler and a time for Mompou, a time for Tchaikovsky and a time for Haydn. Happy are those who love them all for they'll never be bored all through their life.  :D