Books on classical composers, you like some you wish for X-mas

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, December 18, 2019, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

I got to mention my admiration for Françoise Ferrand for Guide de la musique medieval and the other one I have Guide de la musique de la renaissance, I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on Guide de la musique Baroque from her and her collaborators, to me she the best.

Please to p*ss me off can someone here says well dude I have the 3 tomes medieval-renaissance-baroque, did she done others Book on Classical era.

I wonder if there are books on classical composer of c20, for avant-garde composers and modernists, perhaps, probably, but I'm not aware of.

Before having these books II had Lucien Rebatet Histoire de la musique, wich was a good read but he neglected the Burgundy school of Franco-Flemish, only mention Gesualdo on one page, this should be a sin...

By the way if there is a trend on books you love on Classical music move my post, I don't wont to lack respect to anyone tread okay. Have a sweet wonderful day, good people.

Ras

Quote from: deprofundis on December 18, 2019, 04:17:02 PM
I wonder if there are books on classical composer of c20, for avant-garde composers and modernists, perhaps, probably, but I'm not aware of. 

Not an expert on this repertoire, but just to get you rolling...:

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ras

...more: Stravinsky, Messiaen (Quartet for the End of Time), Steve Reich's own essays about his music, John Cage's own essays:

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Papy Oli

Quote from: deprofundis on December 18, 2019, 04:17:02 PM
I got to mention my admiration for Françoise Ferrand for Guide de la musique medieval and the other one I have Guide de la musique de la renaissance, I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on Guide de la musique Baroque from her and her collaborators, to me she the best.

I have this book which includes about 80-90 pages contributed by Ferrand on the 14th Century chapter. I have read about 400 pages of 1200, it is very detailed and informative. There are about 250 pages on the 20C music and Jazz.

[asin]2213020329[/asin]

We also have this thread on classical music books :

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1329.0.html
Olivier

ritter