Bach-Busoni Chaconne

Started by vers la flamme, December 19, 2019, 02:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

The Chaconne is one of the major works in the violin repertoire, but it also figures prominently in transcription for other instruments, notably the piano. Yet as far as I know, I do not have any recording of the famous Busoni piano transcription in my library. What are some of our favorite recordings of this work? I know there are famous recordings by Rubinstein, Michelangeli, etc.

Furthermore, what are some good recordings of the Bach-Brahms Chaconne, for the left hand alone? Another monstrously virtuosic work... I've seen a great video performance by Igor Levit, but that's it.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 19, 2019, 02:47:32 AM
The Chaconne is one of the major works in the violin repertoire, but it also figures prominently in transcription for other instruments, notably the piano. Yet as far as I know, I do not have any recording of the famous Busoni piano transcription in my library. What are some of our favorite recordings of this work? I know there are famous recordings by Rubinstein, Michelangeli, etc.

Furthermore, what are some good recordings of the Bach-Brahms Chaconne, for the left hand alone? Another monstrously virtuosic work... I've seen a great video performance by Igor Levit, but that's it.

Ahhh - a work with which I have a minor obsession!  So many fine versions (there is also a transcription of the Busoni transcription for string quartet which has not been recorded as far as I know).  Versions of the piano original(!?) that I enjoy include; Thomas Labe (Dorian), Peter Rosel (Capriccio - one of my favourites), Maria Tipo, Artur Rubinstein, Alessio Bax (on Signum).  There's also a version by Shura Cherkassky at his 80th birthday recital.  He has no right to play this well at that age - perhaps the edge has gone from his supreme technical address but this is such a wise performance and one I find very moving. 

As a complete tangent I enjoy Robert Schumann's addition of a piano part top the violin original - played with huge commitment by Jean Jacques Kantorow and Gordon Back.   Quite probably if I was allowed only one piece of Bach I would choose the Chaconne.....

Jo498

There is a disc with Edna Stern playing Busoni, Brahms and another transcription by Rudolf Lutz, in addition you get the original played by Amandine Beyer. Tbh I am not the greatest fan of keyboard transcriptions of that piece (I prefer the c minor organ passacaglia for that).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Another vote for Cherkassky, I have this on CD and the 80th birthday is very good too

The birthday concert is here

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Perhaps an unlikely candidate, but for me it's Arthur Rubinstein, hands down....  :)

[asin]B00005427P[/asin]

I also like Edna Stern, great recording.

Q

Holden

I've been aware of this piece for some time but never really got into listening to it until someone posted a recording Kissin on FB. It really blew me away (partly because the score was displayed).

Since then I've started to seek out recordings. As I've got the AR big pink box I'll probably have his recording so I'll start there. I've probably got others that I'm unaware of as well.
Cheers

Holden

Holden

One of the most recommended recordings is ABM's from 1948 in London.

From what I can gather having listened to verified versions, even though the YT poster lists it as 1949, this is the 1948 recording. It's great to have it with score attached. What is evident is ABM's meticulous adherence to the score and especially tempo and dynamic markings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyR8YYLnklQ

Am I right in believing that this is the performance?
Cheers

Holden

grocklin

I'm a fan of Grimaud. Also, this piece made me investigate the de Larrocha and Grosvenor which are both very good and on Spotify. The de Larrocha is really something else.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/the-gramophone-collection-busoni-s-transcription-of-bach-s-chaconne

staxomega

Quote from: Holden on May 13, 2020, 09:23:24 PM
I've been aware of this piece for some time but never really got into listening to it until someone posted a recording Kissin on FB. It really blew me away (partly because the score was displayed).

Since then I've started to seek out recordings. As I've got the AR big pink box I'll probably have his recording so I'll start there. I've probably got others that I'm unaware of as well.

Is there a piano lovers Facebook group? I find there is a serious dearth of active discussion about piano performances on the web.

Regarding Michelangeli my go to is the one from August 1965, as the recording quality is very good. I don't find his interpretations that different from the various live recordings I've heard.

Mandryka

The earlier Michelangeli recordings of this are maybe interesting from the point of view of technique, he plays fast and accurately, energetically, but IMO they are much less interesting from the point of view of poetry. However he played it in Bregenz in 1988, very differently, and that seems to me to be worth hearing. There was a recording on Aura, and it used to be on YouTube.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2021, 06:51:11 AM
The earlier Michelangeli recordings of this are maybe interesting from the point of view of technique, he plays fast and accurately, energetically, but IMO they are much less interesting from the point of view of poetry. However he played it in Bregenz in 1988, very differently, and that seems to me to be worth hearing. There was a recording on Aura, and it used to be on YouTube.

The timing on this recording is 14:07, so not very different from the 1948 one that Holden posted. I will give that one a listen.

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on March 25, 2021, 06:59:38 AM
The timing on this recording is 14:07, so not very different from the 1948 one that Holden posted. I will give that one a listen.

No, much longer. Here

https://www.youtube.com/v/o4QzpTA-ZhM&ab_channel=AndreaBambace

I should say that I am the only person in the world who likes it, apart from Michelangeli's mother.

Better sound in this

Mandryka