New Year's Resolutions 2020

Started by Florestan, December 25, 2019, 02:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on December 26, 2019, 08:52:54 AM
I should have been much more specific in my post about spending time online, this should mostly have been about things that don't advance my knowledge in any way, there are some really inane forums (not this one) in particular. Everything you wrote on advancing your knowledge of the arts is what I would not consider a waste of time :) There is little finer than reading about your favorite composers or pieces of music when you are passionate about their works.

I generally have a good amount of time, job that lets me work at my own pace, never any on call, etc. But I feel like this is just something a bit personal that will allow me to grow more, spend that time learning about other things in much more detail (took up studying astrophysics a couple of years ago, want to read philosophy) or spend more dedicated time with my family.

Very good to read and here's to your continued progress in finding time for things that make you happy.

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 26, 2019, 09:17:40 AM
Let us gladly exchange forgiveness.

But I may be reluctant to forgive those who become boring as a result.  :P
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

steve ridgway

My resolutions are firming up a bit more now.

1. Leave negativity and conflict behind.

2. Concentrate on exploring favourite 10 composers. Maybe declutter music player down to these and favourite 10 rock artists.

3. Continue reading imaginative fantasy novels in German.

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on December 26, 2019, 07:52:13 PM
But I may be reluctant to forgive those who become boring as a result.  :P

Well, all right!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: 2dogs on December 27, 2019, 11:26:27 AM
My resolutions are firming up a bit more now.

1. Leave negativity and conflict behind.

2. Concentrate on exploring favourite 10 composers. Maybe declutter music player down to these and favourite 10 rock artists.

3. Continue reading imaginative fantasy novels in German.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Introverted

1. Worry/Stress less
2. Lose a few Kilo's
3. Try not to buy much new Music :-[ :D

greg

1. Finish my album in the first half of this year
2. Start studying Japanese again and practicing drawing after album is finished.
3. Finish the Umineko no Naku Koro ni visual novel "Questions" arc. Also finish the games on my backlog (for this year).
4. Go to the gym as planned most of the time instead of skipping so much.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on December 30, 2019, 08:04:36 AM
1. Finish my album in the first half of this year
2. Start studying Japanese again and practicing drawing after album is finished.
3. Finish the Umineko no Naku Koro ni visual novel "Questions" arc. Also finish the games on my backlog (for this year).
4. Go to the gym as planned most of the time instead of skipping so much.

I think skipping's pretty healthy :P.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

steve ridgway

This has been a useful exercise and it was very helpful to start thinking about it in good time. My final resolutions are -

1. Leave negativity and conflict behind in the old decade, be more aware of what influences my state of mind and take care not to absorb it from others.

2. Concentrate on exploring favourite 10 composers. Keep music player free of all but these and favourite 10 non-classical artists and listen to them all more attentively. (Rightly or wrongly the two boxes of Pierre Henry's musique concrete got lumped in with the non-classical, I'm not having three categories).

3. Continue reading imaginative fantasy novels in German to improve my imagination as well as language skill.

4. Avoid all sugary junk food - cakes, puddings, ice cream and bread.

Jo498

Quote from: 2dogs on December 31, 2019, 09:33:58 PM
3. Continue reading imaginative fantasy novels in German to improve my imagination as well as language skill.

4. Avoid all sugary junk food - cakes, puddings, ice cream and bread.
Are there any imaginative fantasy novels in German? Walter Moers is the only recent one I could think of (and his writing is linguistically challenging because it's sometimes more wordplay and anagrams than anything else.
I'd recommend German bread, this is neither sugary nor junk food.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

Quote from: Jo498 on January 01, 2020, 01:33:30 AM
Are there any imaginative fantasy novels in German? Walter Moers is the only recent one I could think of (and his writing is linguistically challenging because it's sometimes more wordplay and anagrams than anything else.
I'd recommend German bread, this is neither sugary nor junk food.

I'm reading a German translation of Roger Zelazny's Amber series ;).

Jo498

o.k., that's also an option. ;) Because except for the highly unusual and idiosyncratic Moers I fear German Fantasy is mostly derivative crap. The last or maybe only great Fantasy book in German was "The Neverending Story" and this was about 40 years ago...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal