Author Topic: Musical depictions of the sea, maritime incidents--anything related to the ocean  (Read 2740 times)

Offline pjme

I'm okay with flexible definitions here, and lakes and rivers are fine. Maybe I should have put 'aquatic' in the subject line. I'll probably use Saint-Saens' 'Aquarium'  movement from Le Carnaval des Animaux which technically isn't ocean either.

Ha! I knew it!

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
I briefly scanned the thread and couldn't find it so apologies if Vaughan Williams' opera Riders to the Sea has been mentioned already - it is full of maritime incidents, all of them tragic

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
I briefly scanned the thread and couldn't find it so apologies if Vaughan Williams' opera Riders to the Sea has been mentioned already - it is full of maritime incidents, all of them tragic
How could I forget that?  ::)
Especially having heard it live in a semi-staged performance a while back - a great evening.

Ok, if rivers are allowed here are two more:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:18:14 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!

Offline listener

• Veteran member
Look what's coming up in Prague!
04 March 2020 - 19:30
TRIBUTE TO WATER
Prague Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Pietari Inkinen
Clarinet: Wenzel Fuchs
A. Dvořák - The Water Goblin, symphonic poem Op. 107
W.A. Mozart - Clarinet Concerto in A Major K 622
J. Sibelius - The Oceanides, symphonic poem Op. 73
C. Debussy - The sea, three symphonic sketches for orchestra

Running Time: 105 minutes
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline pjme

And in Antwerp:

Zaterdag 15.02.2020 - 20:00

Tan Dun composer / conductor
Charlène Deschamps altfluit
Samia Bousbaïne harp
Beibei Wang percussie

Smetana De Moldau
Tan Dun Water Concerto
Takemitsu Toward the Sea II
BrittenFour sea interludes, opus 33a

Offline relm1

• Veteran member

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Kevin Puts: River Rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59AT6LzIls

I love the symphony on that CD. Must listen to River Rush. Thanks
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Bloch: Poems of the Sea - a wonderfully atmospheric work in twelve minutes:

I have these recordings as well:
[/img]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:21:31 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member

One of my favourite recordings of all time. I'm old enough to have first discovered it on a double LP set. One of my most successful 'impulse buys' as I didn't know the music at all. I recall purchasing at a much missed record shop in central London (Farringdon Records in Cheapside) along with Hans Hubert Schoenzeler's fine recording of Rubbra's 5th Symphony and Bliss's Checkmate Suite - another fine LP, although I did know the Rubbra's from Barbirolli's recording at the time:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:43:38 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Recently I was astounded by Nystroem's The Tempest. This should be here. Overwhelming music. I found a Youtube link of it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bq-FKP-8ZV0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Bq-FKP-8ZV0</a>