Musical depictions of the sea, maritime incidents--anything related to the ocean

Started by KevinP, December 28, 2019, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

This is research for a class I'm to develop. Anything related to the ocean, sea life, sailing, marine animals, etc.--instrumental, lieder, opera...

To get the ball rolling:
Wagner's The Flying Dutchman (both the overture and the opera as a whole)
Britten's Peter Grimes
Britten's Billy Budd
Debussy's La Mer

What else can we come up with?

And thanks in advance!

Daverz

Bridge: The Sea
Elgar: Sea Pictures
Glazunov: La Mer
Mendelssohn: Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage; The Hebrides
Nielsen: An Imaginary Journey to the Faeroe Islands
Atterberg: Symphony No. 3 "West Coast Pictures"
Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
John Luther Adams: Become Ocean
Ibert: Symphonie marine
Bax: Tintagel; The Garden of Fand

KevinP

Good ones. I don't know them all. Listening to the Ibert now.

Hovhanness: And God Created Great Whales

Daverz

There's also Sibelius's Oceanides.  I can't recall much about it at the moment.

Anton Rubinstein's Symphony No. 2 is subtitled "Ocean", but I can't recall how watery it actually sounds.  I recall it as being pleasant listening.

Bernard Herrmann wrote a Moby Dick cantata.  Mennin wrote a piece called Concertato "Moby Dick".  George Crumb wrote a piece Voice of the Whale for 3 masked players (hmmm).

There's Korngold's score for The Sea Hawk.  He also wrote a score for The Sea Wolf, which was a sort of film noir that takes place on a freighter at sea.

Ravel: Une Barque sur l'océan (Miroirs - No.3)

mc ukrneal

There are lots of them, particularly from the romantic period. Only on come's to mind - Bantock: Hebridean Symphony.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

steve ridgway

Maestro267

I'm going to suggest two works that might not come to mind, but to me they both evoke an element of the sea. The long opening section of Peter Maxwell Davies' "Worldes Blis", and Alfred Schnittke's Passacaglia for large orchestra. Both are constantly moving in little ways, so to speak, the way the water is continuously bobbing up and down, and waves are constantly going in and out. Yet, simultaneously, the entire edifice is very slowly building up and growing, the way the tide rises and falls over the course of several hours.

Jo498

Vivaldi: La tempesta di mare (at least two concerti are named thus)
Gluck: Iphigenia in Tauride begins with a sea storm, so does Verdi's Otello
Beethoven: Calm sea and prosperous voyage (Meeresstille und glückliche Fahrt)
Mendelssohn: Ouverture "Fair Melusina"
Wagner: Parts/especially the end of the first Tristan Act depict the passage on Tristan's ship (Isolde thinks about wrecking the ship but she's lost the magical ability to do so) with a corresponding leitmotiv, a sailor's song and later a sailor's chorus, Siegfried's Rhine Journey in Götterdämmerung
Bruckner: "Helgoland"
Ireland: Sea fever (song)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Jo498 pipped me to the post with the Beethoven while I was pondering other works. I am sure there must be plenty of examples but the easy ones have gone. A few more Britsuh examples -

Stanford - Songs of the Sea and Songs of the Fleet
Sullivan - HMS Pinafore
Wood - Fantasia on British Sea Songs

Delius - Sea Drift

Roasted Swan

Quote from: KevinP on December 28, 2019, 06:07:44 PM
Good ones. I don't know them all. Listening to the Ibert now.

Hovhanness: And God Created Great Whales

Don't forget the other Ibert - Escales (Ports of Call).  Also

D'Indy Tableaux de Voyage & Diptyque Mediterranean
Glazunov The Sea
Bridge The Sea
Novak The Storm (set at sea!)
RVW The Solent

Biffo

Jean Cras - Journal de Bord Suite Symphonique - Cras was a full-time naval officer and only had limited time for composition, this fine work evokes the sea at different times of day.

vandermolen

Cyril Scott 'Neptune'
Nystroem: 'Sinfonia del Mare'
Paul  Gilson 'The Sea'
Grace Williams 'Sea Sketches'
Klami 'Sea Pictures'
Bax 'On the Sea Shore'
Howard Hanson 'A Sea Symphony' (No.7)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on December 29, 2019, 02:13:06 AM
Jean Cras - Journal de Bord Suite Symphonique - Cras was a full-time naval officer and only had limited time for composition, this fine work evokes the sea at different times of day.
I agree - an excellent work. Great choice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Speaking of maritime incidents there's the electronically processed tape composition Epitaph für Aikichi Kuboyama by Herbert Eimert about the radio operator on a fishing boat poisoned by radioactive fallout.

T. D.

Has George Crumb's Vox Balaenae been mentioned yet?
Morton Feldman's Atlantis (not sure this applies).

Cato

Zemlinsky's The Mermaid:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zgrLXVphts4

Both Monteverdi and Skalkottas have works entitled The Return of Ulysses, the former's is an opera, the latter's a tone poem.

And Phillip Sainton's score for John Huston's excellent movie version of Moby Dick must not be missed!

Here is a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZbVPYp27Dwk&t=25s

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on December 29, 2019, 03:06:33 AM
Zemlinsky's The Mermaid:

https://www.youtube.com/v/zgrLXVphts4

Both Monteverdiand Skalkottas have works entitled The Return of Ulysses
, the former's is an opera, the latter's a tone poem.

And Phillip Sainton's score for John Huston's excellent movie version of Moby Dick must not be missed!

Here is a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZbVPYp27Dwk&t=25s
Two great choices Leo!

Roy Bland