Musical depictions of the sea, maritime incidents--anything related to the ocean

Started by KevinP, December 28, 2019, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

How could I forget this wonderfully atmospheric depiction of the sea?
Kleiberg's 'Bell Reef' Symphony:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

AlberichUndHagen

Did anyone mention prelude to act 3 of Tristan und Isolde? I think it is even more effective than Holländer.

Mirror Image

nachtalberich

Gavin Bryars has both the North Shore and The Sinking of the Titanic, the later while a little dark has some excellent depictions of a sinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TMjdYpgZIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FkxDuIc0P8

André

The Antartic is a continent, but the Arctic is an ocean, so these two works bearing that designation should qualify:

The Nystroem has been recorded a few times, but I think the BIS issue is the only one of this very fine work by Karin Rehnqvist.

KevinP

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2020, 02:38:52 AM
What's this like?
I'd say say mild revolutionary romanticism with strong folk like quotations (fisherman village) well played by CPO orchestra.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 11, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
I'd say say mild revolutionary romanticism with strong folk like quotations (fisherman village) well played by CPO orchestra.
Sounds interesting. Thank you!  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 11, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
I sampled it on You Tube and very much enjoyed what I heard.

pjme

Frank Martin: Les quatre éléments : earth, water, air and fire

https://www.youtube.com/v/krmzB15qEKQ

It is not clear if Dvorak's water goblin lives in the sea/ocean...

vandermolen

Gramophone Magazine in their 'What to listen to next?' section feature 'La Mer' in the latest edition.

Daverz

Quote from: pjme on January 13, 2020, 01:19:27 AM
It is not clear if Dvorak's water goblin lives in the sea/ocean...

According to Wikipedia, it's a lake.  Which also brings up that Rusalka is also watery.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 13, 2020, 01:19:27 AM
Frank Martin: Les quatre éléments : earth, water, air and fire

https://www.youtube.com/v/krmzB15qEKQ

That's a fantastic work. Discovered it years ago, thanks to a Chandos recording.

ritter

At this rate, Debussy's Le Tombeau des naïades ("And with the iron head of his hoe he broke the ice of the spring, where the naiads used to laugh") from the Trois chansons de Bilitis will end up qualifying as "related to the Ocean".  :D

KevinP

I'm okay with flexible definitions here, and lakes and rivers are fine. Maybe I should have put 'aquatic' in the subject line. I'll probably use Saint-Saens' 'Aquarium'  movement from Le Carnaval des Animaux which technically isn't ocean either.

KevinP

While there are certainly some romantic-era works mentioned, it's mildly surprising how many of these works are from the 20th or 21st century.

That probably says more about the recording industry than the field of composition though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: KevinP on January 13, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
I'm okay with flexible definitions here, and lakes and rivers are fine. Maybe I should have put 'aquatic' in the subject line. I'll probably use Saint-Saens' 'Aquarium'  movement from Le Carnaval des Animaux which technically isn't ocean either.

Since you've expanded your original idea to include lakes, rivers, etc., then the third movement of Schoenberg Fünf Orchesterstücke titled Farben, Mäßige Viertel (with the subtitle of Summer Morning by a Lake) would certainly apply here.

About this particular movement (taken from the Arnold Schoenberg Center's website):

The third piece – called Farben (Sommermorgen am See) ("Colors – Summer Morning at the Lake") since Schönberg's son-in-law Felix Greissle published an arrangement of it in 1925 – places the tone-color progression in the center of poetic expression as an "imagining of an atmospherically fulfilled moment" (Reinhold Brinkmann); the continuous motion of a certain chord forms the midpoint of formal development. Every one of the three inner parts of Farben emerges from its own differently orchestrated chordal ribbon, its point of orientation based on the initial chord, itself repositioned through its gradual progression.