Musical depictions of the sea, maritime incidents--anything related to the ocean

Started by KevinP, December 28, 2019, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Quote from: KevinP on January 13, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
I'm okay with flexible definitions here, and lakes and rivers are fine. Maybe I should have put 'aquatic' in the subject line. I'll probably use Saint-Saens' 'Aquarium'  movement from Le Carnaval des Animaux which technically isn't ocean either.

Ha! I knew it!

Biffo

I briefly scanned the thread and couldn't find it so apologies if Vaughan Williams' opera Riders to the Sea has been mentioned already - it is full of maritime incidents, all of them tragic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on January 14, 2020, 02:42:39 AM
I briefly scanned the thread and couldn't find it so apologies if Vaughan Williams' opera Riders to the Sea has been mentioned already - it is full of maritime incidents, all of them tragic
How could I forget that?  ::)
Especially having heard it live in a semi-staged performance a while back - a great evening.

Ok, if rivers are allowed here are two more:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

listener

Look what's coming up in Prague!
04 March 2020 - 19:30
TRIBUTE TO WATER
Prague Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Pietari Inkinen
Clarinet: Wenzel Fuchs
A. Dvořák - The Water Goblin, symphonic poem Op. 107
W.A. Mozart - Clarinet Concerto in A Major K 622
J. Sibelius - The Oceanides, symphonic poem Op. 73
C. Debussy - The sea, three symphonic sketches for orchestra

Running Time: 105 minutes
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

pjme

And in Antwerp:

Zaterdag 15.02.2020 - 20:00

Tan Dun composer / conductor
Charlène Deschamps altfluit
Samia Bousbaïne harp
Beibei Wang percussie

Smetana De Moldau
Tan Dun Water Concerto
Takemitsu Toward the Sea II
BrittenFour sea interludes, opus 33a

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Bloch: Poems of the Sea - a wonderfully atmospheric work in twelve minutes:

I have these recordings as well:
[/img]

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 10, 2020, 02:43:47 PM

One of my favourite recordings of all time. I'm old enough to have first discovered it on a double LP set. One of my most successful 'impulse buys' as I didn't know the music at all. I recall purchasing at a much missed record shop in central London (Farringdon Records in Cheapside) along with Hans Hubert Schoenzeler's fine recording of Rubbra's 5th Symphony and Bliss's Checkmate Suite - another fine LP, although I did know the Rubbra's from Barbirolli's recording at the time:

Symphonic Addict

Recently I was astounded by Nystroem's The Tempest. This should be here. Overwhelming music. I found a Youtube link of it:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Bq-FKP-8ZV0
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky