Any freebies albums on the web if I'm into medieval and renaissance

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, January 11, 2020, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Just a place to download for free, royalty paid since long time, label that does not exist anymore...

We wont to know, a perfectly secure download  of classical freebies.

steve ridgway

You can find some with the "search this collection" box on https://archive.org/details/audio although it's a bit disorganised and very annoyingly some of the results are 30 second samples only. My father downloaded Gb of old Schubert 78s he was very pleased with.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DaveF

Quote from: 2dogs on January 11, 2020, 07:53:51 PM
You can find some with the "search this collection" box on https://archive.org/details/audio although it's a bit disorganised and very annoyingly some of the results are 30 second samples only. My father downloaded Gb of old Schubert 78s he was very pleased with.

Hang on - I've just found what is apparently the complete Bach Hänssler edition on archive.org - is this site entirely legal?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on January 12, 2020, 12:47:48 PM
Hang on - I've just found what is apparently the complete Bach Hänssler edition on archive.org - is this site entirely legal?

It shouldn't have anything illegal unless someone's uploaded something that hasn't been spotted - as with YouTube. There seems to be some rule about it being OK to hold recordings that are out of production and not commercially available. Which makes it rather complicated though if they suddenly get re-released :-\. Copyright law frightens me - I never upload anything.

Crudblud

Quote from: DaveF on January 12, 2020, 12:47:48 PM
The Internet Archive is a digital preservation initiative that takes a Wikipedia style approach, so anyone can contribute to it. This means that occasionally some stuff slips through the cracks, but it is only intended to feature content that is either public domain, out of print, or given freely by the copyright holder.