Brahms Concerto 2 Ashkenazy/Leopold Ludwig 1958

Started by rachmaninoff, January 13, 2020, 12:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachmaninoff

hello,

I'm from Belgium, so, my english is basic  ::)

I saw on youtube a recording of brahms' second piano concerto with Askhenazy and Leopold Ludwig as conductor (from 1958, EMI Angel).

Why never on cd ? Explanation ?

Thx !

Que

I'm not sure what you would with the answer to your question why it wasn't reissued? ...It has probably something to do with (a) later recording(s) by Ashkenazy of the same piece.

Better buy the LP instead!

Q

Biffo

Ashkenazy would only have been 20 or 21 when he made this LP. He recorded the work again, at least twice (with Mehta and Haitink).

There is an LP for sale of ebay (UK) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VLADIMIR-ASHKENAZY-Brahms-Piano-Concerto-no-2-in-B-Flat-ORIG-1st-US-ANGEL/352936356396?hash=item522ca56a2c:g:sx4AAOSwYeRaKUuu

rachmaninoff

Thanks !

The two recordings, with Metha, and the sixties and with Haitink in the eigthies are very "known"; from a historical point of view, its a pity that there is no reedition...

André

Quote from: rachmaninoff on January 17, 2020, 05:19:47 AM
Thanks !

The two recordings, with Metha, and the sixties and with Haitink in the eigthies are very "known"; from a historical point of view, its a pity that there is no reedition...

I agree with you. Ashkenazy was an instinctive, volatile artist when he was young. In his mature years he became a more predictable, less original one.

Ratliff

Maybe no one at EMI/Warner remembers it. He was presumably an unknown at the time and after he became a huge artist for Decca, it didn't occur to anyone, "isn't that the same guy that made that record for us years ago that didn't sell?"

Irons

Quote from: Ratliff on January 17, 2020, 09:37:30 AM
Maybe no one at EMI/Warner remembers it. He was presumably an unknown at the time and after he became a huge artist for Decca, it didn't occur to anyone, "isn't that the same guy that made that record for us years ago that didn't sell?"

Or for contractual reasons not allowed to.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.