Beethoven string quartett op. 59,2 e-minor - for symphonic orchestra

Started by gprengel, January 19, 2020, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

The first movement from the e-minor string quartett so far did not really belong to my favourite pieces by Beethoven - together with a friend now I tried an orchestration and must say - I am fully enthusiastic about this symphonic form of the first movement now.  What do you think?

www.gerdprengel.de/op59-2_1_orch.mp3

Gerd

Mandryka

Quote from: gprengel on January 19, 2020, 01:02:54 PM
The first movement from the e-minor string quartett so far did not really belong to my favourite pieces by Beethoven - together with a friend now I tried an orchestration and must say - I am fully enthusiastic about this symphonic form of the first movement now.  What do you think?

www.gerdprengel.de/op59-2_1_orch.mp3

Gerd

You'd have to like Beethoven to like this. It's like the worst, and orchestrating it makes it worser. Pompous  bombastic music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

some guy

Well, I do prefer the original. The orchestration makes it all too smooth and "pretty."

I would never have chosen the string quartet as favorite or as "the worst," either one.

Not a big fan of Beethoven overall, but almost everything he wrote was pretty solid. Fair's fair.

Herman

I don't see any need for orchestration, I think it's an amazing, wonderful quartet, to which I have been listening for forty years or so.
However that being said I don't think it's bad. The only think I'd change is the brass. Beethoven liked to use brass, trumpets and stuff, in a very soft register, it's almost unique to him (which probably means composers who did the same have sunk into relative obscurity). Blaring almost never happens in Beethoven.