Kobe Bryant, 41, dead in helicopter crash - sad news

Started by Marc, January 26, 2020, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Damn, I just read this on a Dutch website. I'm not that much into basketball, even though I loved to play it at secondary school, but he was very popular all around the world. Bryant leaves behind his wife and 4 daughters, one of them still a baby. This is going to shock sports fans all around the world. He was an icon and, iirc, also won an Oscar for a short vid called "Dear Basketball".

May he rest in peace.

aligreto

Very sad news indeed. He was one of the Basketball Greats.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Marc on January 26, 2020, 11:22:07 AM
Damn, I just read this on a Dutch website. I'm not that much into basketball, even though I loved to play it at secondary school, but he was very popular all around the world. Bryant leaves behind his wife and 4 daughters, one of them still a baby. This is going to shock sports fans all around the world. He was an icon and, iirc, also won an Oscar for a short vid called "Dear Basketball".

May he rest in peace.

According to one of the newspapers, one of his daughters was with him in the helicopter...  They must have been returning from Philadelphia, because I saw him on the news last night, congratulating LeBron James for having passed Kobe in career points to become the new #3 on the all-time list. The Lakers were playing in Philly, which was also Kobe's home town, so I reckon that's why he went. I wasn't a fan, but it's sad to see a great go down at the tender age of 41. :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Never heard of him but it's all over the news here. Very sad, especially as his 13 year old daughter was apparently in the helicopter as well, along with others.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

He was a wonderful person gone way too soon and a huge fan of orchestral music.  I was at the rehearsal of his Oscar winning animated short called "Dear Basketball" last year where he was there.  It is a short film love letter to basketball as he retired.  He was so excited and gave the great composer, John Williams, whom he personally commissioned a huge hug.  He told the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra how thrilling an experience it was for him to stand in front of such great musicians.  He was in awe of them and I could feel that this man who inspired gazillions of fans who adored him was also a fan of these people.  He let everyone who wanted to take a selfie with him but it was clear he was giddy with joy at the entire experience.  I recall he joyfully said it was his first time in front of an orchestra.  RIP.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 26, 2020, 04:33:09 PM
He was a wonderful person gone way too soon and a huge fan of orchestral music.  I was at the rehearsal of his Oscar winning animated short called "Dear Basketball" last year where he was there.  It is a short film love letter to basketball as he retired.  He was so excited and gave the great composer, John Williams, whom he personally commissioned a huge hug.  He told the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra how thrilling an experience it was for him to stand in front of such great musicians.  He was in awe of them and I could feel that this man who inspired gazillions of fans who adored him was also a fan of these people.  He let everyone who wanted to take a selfie with him but it was clear he was giddy with joy at the entire experience.  I recall he joyfully said it was his first time in front of an orchestra.  RIP.
What a nice memory to have.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

relm1

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 26, 2020, 01:45:44 PM
According to one of the newspapers, one of his daughters was with him in the helicopter...  They must have been returning from Philadelphia, because I saw him on the news last night, congratulating LeBron James for having passed Kobe in career points to become the new #3 on the all-time list. The Lakers were playing in Philly, which was also Kobe's home town, so I reckon that's why he went. I wasn't a fan, but it's sad to see a great go down at the tender age of 41. :(

8)

No, he was coaching his daughter's basketball team which had a game on Sunday when the helicopter crashed.  All onboard were affiliated with the young woman's basketball team plus the pilot.  Nine were lost.  The weather was lousy...dense fog and many hills and coastal mountains are in the area.  Lot's of my musician friends have been posting pictures with him.  I didn't realize how big a fan he was of the LA music and orchestral scene.  He really loved the stuff.  RIP.

Mirror Image

It's always a sad thing to see someone so young pass away. I wasn't a fan of Kobe Bryant per se (I was always more of a Shaquille O'Neal fan :)), but I recognize his athletic ability and for him to be drafted into the NBA right out of high school was an impressive feat. A terrible loss and the fact that his teenage daughter was in the helicopter with him makes it even more tragic. RIP to all involved in this crash.

greg

When my friend first texted me about it sounded like the most random piece of news... but way too young, he's only been retired a few years?(completely lost track with that). Could have done so much more with his life.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: relm1 on January 27, 2020, 06:20:57 AM
No, he was coaching his daughter's basketball team which had a game on Sunday when the helicopter crashed.  All onboard were affiliated with the young woman's basketball team plus the pilot.  Nine were lost.  The weather was lousy...dense fog and many hills and coastal mountains are in the area.  Lot's of my musician friends have been posting pictures with him.  I didn't realize how big a fan he was of the LA music and orchestral scene.  He really loved the stuff.  RIP.

Yes, they updated that report shortly after I posted. The news of his daughter being there was still news at the time. Very sad thing, no question. Sometimes people get buttonholed and generalized, like 'he was a basketball player', but they are always so much more than that. Your story above is the proof of it. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"