Who are or have been the members you have had more sympathy and empathy on here?

Started by Symphonic Addict, February 01, 2020, 02:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on February 04, 2020, 03:00:52 AM
The downside of posting is one expects people to share your enthusiasm in that moment, and that doesn't always happen. That's just life online.

That's true (he said, without enthusiasm.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ratliff

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2020, 11:31:49 PM
Firstly I'm  sorry that you feel like this and secondly I'm sorry that I did not comment on your reference to John Ireland's excellent 'Legend for Piano and Orchestra' which I prefer to his PC. My favourite recordings, incidentally, are on Chandos and Hyperion.

I would, however, like to gently challenge your 'clique of members' comment. I think that it is much more a case of people who share my musical tastes. I would never deliberately not respond to a message just because didn't come from one of my 'inner circle'. I've communicated with many here (including on the Haydn thread!) often I don't think that I've got much to offer because I'm either unfamiliar with the music or it doesn't mean much to me. Furthermore, although I really enjoy communicating with the group I also have other demands on my time which might mean that I miss a post that I might otherwise respond to. There is nothing deliberate about this. If you track back through the WAYLT thread I suspect that you will find that if someone is listening to a piece of music that I like I will comment on it regardless of who the message is from. My taste in classical music is not necessarily shared by others ('deservedly neglected composers' as my brother amusingly put it) and I naturally have more in common (musically) with those who share my musical tastes than those who do not. I'm sorry if you decide to leave the group but that will be your decision.

Sorry, I didn't really intend to single you out as the reason for my discontent, just that the Ireland post was the most recent example of my experience here. Of course you have no responsibility to respond to anything I post here, whether you like Ireland or not. And of course I would like to get some response if I take the trouble to post something. It happens that this thread has crystallized for me the reason I feel there is no reason for me continue to participate here.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 06:29:51 AM
Sorry, I didn't really intend to single you out as the reason for my discontent, just that the Ireland post was the most recent example of my experience here. Of course you have no responsibility to respond to anything I post here, whether you like Ireland or not. And of course I would like to get some response if I take the trouble to post something. It happens that this thread has crystallized for me the reason I feel there is no reason for me continue to participate here.
Regarding the Ireland post I didn't see it until earlier today, after I'd responded to your post here. There is a lot of traffic on the WAYLT thread and it's easy (for me at least) to miss something. I'd assumed that it was a post from some time back. For what it's worth I have responded to it now as I suspect I would have done had I seen it earlier as it references a very special disc. I often get zero response to my posts or threads but I tend to focus on the responses that I do get from people who take the trouble to respond. I'd be sorry if you leave but wish you all the best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 06:29:51 AM

I'd hate to see you leave (again), but what I don't understand is why you feel it necessary for someone to comment on something you post? You're acting as if someone owes you something for making a good post. If someone feels compelled to reply to one of your posts, then it'll happen. As I mentioned, there's a lot of posts that go unnoticed and, sometimes, to one's surprise a post you made two months ago gets commented on. There is A LOT of content on GMG to plow through and I wouldn't expect anyone to comment on every little thing I post. So don't be disappointed that you spent time on something only for it to go unnoticed --- this is just the way it is and really the way it is on any forum that has a high number of membership.

pjme

The downside of posting is one expects people to share your enthusiasm in that moment, and that doesn't always happen. That's just life online.

+1

Iota

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 06:29:51 AMI feel there is no reason for me continue to participate here.

I very much hope you will continue to post here, I find your posts always worthwhile, though am not here too often/don't necessarily have anything to say. If it's any consolation it's very rare that anyone comments on my music posts either, and I would think I am not alone by a long shot. Cliques are very natural emanations of the human condition and will happen wherever they assemble I think (though I am not part of one here, nor wish to be), and it's always easier to communicate with a person you are familiar with than a relative stranger, so it's probably just business as usual on these music threads. I must admit I still get a great deal from them for which I'm grateful.

Ratliff

Quote from: Iota on February 04, 2020, 12:02:57 PM
I very much hope you will continue to post here, I find your posts always worthwhile, though am not here too often/don't necessarily have anything to say. If it's any consolation it's very rare that anyone comments on my music posts either, and I would think I am not alone by a long shot. Cliques are very natural emanations of the human condition and will happen wherever they assemble I think (though I am not part of one here, nor wish to be), and it's always easier to communicate with a person you are familiar with than a relative stranger, so it's probably just business as usual on these music threads. I must admit I still get a great deal from them for which I'm grateful.

Thanks for the appreciation, and you are of course right. Part of the issue is I don't have a tenth the time to listen to music and post here as much as some others seem to.

Quite so.

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2020, 07:01:06 AM
Regarding the Ireland post I didn't see it until earlier today, after I'd responded to your post here. There is a lot of traffic on the WAYLT thread and it's easy (for me at least) to miss something. I'd assumed that it was a post from some time back. For what it's worth I have responded to it now as I suspect I would have done had I seen it earlier as it references a very special disc. I often get zero response to my posts or threads but I tend to focus on the responses that I do get from people who take the trouble to respond. I'd be sorry if you leave but wish you all the best.

Once again, sorry that I seemed to single you out for what was a general discontent at not getting much feedback on the site. Thank your for your thoughtful response to my thoughts on Ireland's Legend. I find your comments on 20th century English music to be without exception interesting.

I expect I will continue to participate here at my customary low level and accustom myself to inconspicuous anonymity.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 03:50:49 PM
Thanks for the appreciation, and you are of course right. Part of the issue is I don't have a tenth the time to listen to music and post here as much as some others seem to.

Quite so.

Once again, sorry that I seemed to single you out for what was a general discontent at not getting much feedback on the site. Thank your for your thoughtful response to my thoughts on Ireland's Legend. I find your comments on 20th century English music to be without exception interesting.

I expect I will continue to participate here at my customary low level and accustom myself to inconspicuous anonymity.

I rely on your continued participation, sir.  (I believe I've got some Ireland, but I don't recall just what.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ratliff

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 04, 2020, 04:02:50 PM
I rely on your continued participation, sir.  (I believe I've got some Ireland, but I don't recall just what.)

If, like me, your interest in John Ireland was sparked by Luke's eloquent advocacy, you might have this excellent set of chamber music recordings released by Chandos:

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 10:13:11 PM
If, like me, your interest in John Ireland was sparked by Luke's eloquent advocacy, you might have this excellent set of chamber music recordings released by Chandos:

Wishlisted. I didn't realize he had some piano trios. I enjoy piano trios in general.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ratliff

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 04, 2020, 10:26:55 PM
Wishlisted. I didn't realize he had some piano trios. I enjoy piano trios in general.

I haven't listened in ages, I vaguely remember being mesmerized by the cello sonata.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 03:50:49 PM

Quite so.

Thank you for the kind comment about my English music posts although I often genuinely feel that others post much more insightfully that I do. I'm very pleased you have decided to continue to post here. I think that I need to get that Ireland chamber music CD. Others have enthused about it including Lol (Irons) I think.  No need to apologise and I'm sorry to all concerned if I've given the impression of being part of an exclusionist clique. That's the last thing I'd want. Part of the problem is with the collapse of the record shop there is nowhere else to go to talk to fellow classical music enthusiasts (or 'CD nutters' as my classical music loving friend likes to say). Therefore it's great for me here that I can communicate with others who, to a greater or lesser extent, share my taste in music. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

No names no pack drill but sometimes I just don't get it. Not so long ago I praised a body of works and a member of long standing came back - at least he bothered to reply, a rarity as far as I'm concerned - with he didn't think much of them, which is fine why should he. I was shocked when only a short few weeks later he praised the same said works to the high heavens! Not once but over an extended period, he still is! The only conclusion I can draw from this....... not worth going there. Rant over, I feel better getting that off my chest.  :)

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ratliff on February 04, 2020, 10:13:11 PM

It was, though I do not, yet really I ought . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

steve ridgway

I like the forum; people are generally friendly and informative and there are few enough to be able to keep up properly :).

Christo

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 05, 2020, 06:01:20 AM
I like the forum; people are generally friendly and informative and there are few enough to be able to keep up properly :).
+1  :-*
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

greg

I demand all of your empathies and sympathies! But for me only! You are not allowed to share them with others! Fight to the death for me!  :)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Christo

Quote from: greg on February 07, 2020, 07:37:10 AM
I demand all of your empathies and sympathies! But for me only! You are not allowed to share them with others! Fight to the death forwithme!  :)
#fixed
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

I have to say I'm honored, and privileged, to be part of the GMG 'groupie' of Vandermolen, SymphonicAddict, Cristo, Kyjo, J.Z. Herrenberg and cilgwyn who share a love for most of the same composers. You will certainly find common threads between us all. Unfortunately, J.Z. Herenberg doesn't post much anymore but probably does lurk and cilgwyn just vanished. :(

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 01:42:33 PM
I have to say I'm honored, and privileged, to be part of the GMG 'groupie' of Vandermolen, SymphonicAddict, Cristo, Kyjo, J.Z. Herrenberg and cilgwyn who share a love for most of the same composers. You will certainly find common threads between us all. Unfortunately, J.Z. Herenberg doesn't post much anymore but probably does lurk and cilgwyn just vanished. :(
I won't put you on my list for fear of whiplash!
I won't put Uncle Harry on my list because I simply can't afford it...

But Karl and Vandermolen are the first two names that would come to mind.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.