Schubert's a-minor piano sonata D784 - for Orchestra

Started by gprengel, February 06, 2020, 04:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

Schubert's a-minor piano sonata from 1823 is his first outstanding sonata, written not long after the "Unfinished" symphony. I don't know a sonata which has such a "symphonic" character as this, so I felt the strong desire to orchestrate it:

https://youtu.be/QuHq5ivb8VM

Gerd

amw

This has always been the least pianistic and therefore (potentially) most orchestratable of Schubert's piano works, although I don't know of any adaptations that have gained traction. I orchestrated the first movement about 12 years ago, presumably for an orchestration class although it could have been just for fun. (If you wanna compare notes: here's a pdf)

Mandryka

What weird music! The Schubert I mean, not the orchestration. I don't think I like it, I'm not sure.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

gprengel

Quote from: amw on February 06, 2020, 07:40:09 PM
... I orchestrated the first movement about 12 years ago, presumably for an orchestration class although it could have been just for fun. (If you wanna compare notes: here's a pdf)

How, interesting, that you tried the same as I. I compared your score with mine. Some parts I like in your version better (your off-beat timpani starting at m. 9 are great !!, ...), other parts I like better in my version (m. 28, development , ...) and others we did in a simliar way. What do you think of my version? ... movements 2 - 3 ?

Gerd