What are your 25 favorite symphonies?

Started by Symphonic Addict, February 07, 2020, 04:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on February 14, 2020, 06:18:01 AM
I have the CD's of Soderling's No, 2, 3, 4 and maybe another one (going off memory so these might be all) from when they were commercially available and there were several on youtube.  Otherwise, I read the scores and his 6 and 9 are quite epic.  For example, no. 9 is hour long with soloists, choir, and large orchestra. No. 6 has very large orchestra, lasts 55 minutes, 2 sets of timpani, six horns, etc.  There is also a very fine and dramatic early tone poem I really like that I can't find online but have on CD called Taurmusik. 

As for Derek Bourgeois, we were friends for the last 10 year of his life and he sent me many of the early ones which were recorded in the 1960's-80's.  After that all his symphonies only exist digitally or in wind band arrangements because he had considerably better chances getting the wind arrangements performed but the orchestral versions were the originals as intended.  Derek's Symphony No. 9 is a four movement work lasting two hours but the finale is in itself almost an entire 40 minute symphony made up of a grand passacaglia.  His Symphony No. 42 is in three giant movements (each lasting about an hour) and features soloists and choirs of the creation, life on earth, and eventual destruction.   It is available only in computer mock-up version once he stopped trying to have his orchestral music performed he just composed becoming incredibly prolific.  Choral music doesn't work with computer mockup because all the voices and soloists just sing "Ahhh" so you have to be very used to hearing this to understand how it would sound but maybe one day we'll get a performance.

The Soderlind seem tremendous, above all the 6th with the timpani and the horns! It's a shame this composer doesn't get more exposure, because he's certainly very worth exploring. Thanks for responding!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Christo

Quote from: relm1 on February 14, 2020, 06:18:01 AMSoderling
Quote from: relm1 on February 14, 2020, 06:16:38 AM
Soderling's
Quote from: Christo on February 09, 2020, 02:37:49 AM
Apparently you found it even harder to type -ind instead of -ing8) Typing an ø is an accomplishment we won't share with the Anglo-Saxon world (the ø-gadget would soon be only commercially available, no doubt).  >:D Ragnar Søderlind it is, whether you like it, or not.  ;D

Errr, still all about one Ragnar Søderlind, I presume?  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 10:49:17 AM

The composer must be too offended by our terrible lack of respect regarding his spelling.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 10:49:17 AM

I am ignoring you because you are being very rude.  Do you want me to call out each of your American idioms?  I don't know how to type international letters and you are being an ass about it.  Not only that, I have very bad vision and get English letters wrong too.  So tell me every time I get my own letters wrong please even when I can't see it. 

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 15, 2020, 10:21:38 AM
The Soderlind seem tremendous, above all the 6th with the timpani and the horns! It's a shame this composer doesn't get more exposure, because he's certainly very worth exploring. Thanks for responding!

He is disappointed about this too!  Like Derek Bourgeois, he is composing many work with little hope for performance such as his massive oratorio, The Wasteland, and his symphony No. 9. 

some guy

Quote from: relm1 on February 15, 2020, 04:51:12 PM
I am ignoring you because you are being very rude.  Do you want me to call out each of your American idioms?  I don't know how to type international letters and you are being an ass about it.  Not only that, I have very bad vision and get English letters wrong too.  So tell me every time I get my own letters wrong please even when I can't see it.
Hold down the "o" key. Do you get a wee window with selections? I get ô, ö, ò, ó, œ, ø, ō, and õ, though since they appear in blue, they're a bit less easy to see than the usual black letters.

Also "g" and "d" are not "international" letters.

Also also, calling Christo rude is inarguably rude, whereas what Christo said could be taken in a variety of ways, none of them pertinent. Only what he says is pertinent, not how he says it. That's why "ad hominem" is considered a logical fallacy; that's why "ad hominem" is considered off-limits at GMG (and most other online discussion forums).

steve ridgway

Quote from: some guy on February 15, 2020, 10:27:51 PM
Hold down the "o" key. Do you get a wee window with selections? I get ô, ö, ò, ó, œ, ø, ō, and õ, though since they appear in blue, they're a bit less easy to see than the usual black letters.

Ōh thãt'š gøöd Ī ñėvēr kńęŵ åłl thēśê ŵèrê hëré :o.

Christo

Quote from: relm1 on February 15, 2020, 04:51:12 PM
I am ignoring you because you are being very rude.  Do you want me to call out each of your American idioms?
#yep

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 16, 2020, 02:12:30 AM
Ōh thãt'š gøöd Ī ñėvēr kńęŵ åłl thēśê ŵèrê hëré :o.
All wrong ..  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maestro267

If I hold the o button it just goes oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

vandermolen

My new list (without consulting my old one) - displacement activity  ::)

Bruckner: Symphony No.8
Weinberg: Symphony No. 5
Shostakovich: Symphony 8
Arnell: Symphony No.3
Mahler: Symphony No.9
Tubin: Symphony 2 'Legendary'
Suk: Asrael Symphony
Moyzes: Symphony No.7
Egge: Symphony No.1
Miaskovsky: Symphony No.3
Eshpai: Symphony No.5
Glazunov: Symphony No.8
Gliere: 'Ilya Murometz'
Walton: Symphony No.1
Soderlind: Symphony No.8
Norgard: 'Sinfonia Austera'
Kinsella: Symphony No.4 'The Four Provinces'
Honegger: Symphony No.3 'Liturgique'
Vaughan Williams: 'A Sea Symphony'
Shostakovich: Symphony 13 'Babi Yar'
Bloch: Symphony in C Minor
Sibelius: Symphony No.7
Popov: Symphony No.1
Holmboe: Symphony No.10
Rosenberg: Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Grave'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Total Rafa

Beethoven: 5, 7
Bruckner: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mahler: 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10
Martinů: 4, 6
Nielsen: 3, 5
Rautavaara: 7
Sibelius: 2, 7
Shostakovich: 4, 5, 15
Strauss: Alpine
Tchaikovsky: 6

These are all epic, whatever that means!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on March 03, 2020, 07:25:15 AM
My new list (without consulting my old one) - displacement activity  ::)

Bruckner: Symphony No.8
Weinberg: Symphony No. 5
Shostakovich: Symphony 8
Arnell: Symphony No.3
Mahler: Symphony No.9
Tubin: Symphony 2 'Legendary'
Suk: Asrael Symphony
Moyzes: Symphony No.7
Egge: Symphony No.1
Miaskovsky: Symphony No.3
Eshpai: Symphony No.5
Glazunov: Symphony No.8
Gliere: 'Ilya Murometz'
Walton: Symphony No.1
Soderlind: Symphony No.8
Norgard: 'Sinfonia Austera'
Kinsella: Symphony No.4 'The Four Provinces'
Honegger: Symphony No.3 'Liturgique'
Vaughan Williams: 'A Sea Symphony'
Shostakovich: Symphony 13 'Babi Yar'
Bloch: Symphony in C Minor
Sibelius: Symphony No.7
Popov: Symphony No.1
Holmboe: Symphony No.10
Rosenberg: Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Grave'

The VW seems the one has more grandeur, so it suits very good. Curious your mention of the Miaskovsky. Glazunov, yes! His most visionary definitely (besides the fragment of the 9th).

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Total Rafa on March 03, 2020, 09:28:31 AM
Beethoven: 5, 7
Bruckner: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mahler: 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10
Martinů: 4, 6
Nielsen: 3, 5
Rautavaara: 7
Sibelius: 2, 7
Shostakovich: 4, 5, 15
Strauss: Alpine
Tchaikovsky: 6

These are all epic, whatever that means!

Maybe I would exclude Mahler 10 and Shostakovich 15. The rest looks fine.  8)

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I should make some changes by focusing in more sense of grandeur or struggle as I get the epic term:

Atterberg: 2
Bax: 1
Bloch: in C sharp minor
Brian: 1
Bruckner: 8
Casella: 2
Gliere: 3
Khachaturian: 2
Korngold: in F sharp
Langgaard: 1, 6
Lloyd: 4
Lyatoshinsky: 3
Mahler: 6
Melartin: 3
Nielsen, Carl: 4, 5
Nielsen, Ludolf: 3
Raid: 1
Shostakovich: 11
Sibelius: 7
Steinberg: 2
Taneyev: 4
Tubin: 2
Walton: 1

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 27, 2020, 06:31:27 PM
I should make some changes by focusing in more sense of grandeur or struggle as I get the epic term:

Atterberg: 2
Bax: 1
Bloch: in C sharp minor
Brian: 1
Bruckner: 8
Casella: 2
Gliere: 3
Khachaturian: 2
Korngold: in F sharp
Langgaard: 1, 6
Lloyd: 4
Lyatoshinsky: 3
Mahler: 6
Melartin: 3
Nielsen, Carl: 4, 5
Nielsen, Ludolf: 3
Raid: 1
Shostakovich: 11
Sibelius: 7
Steinberg: 2
Taneyev: 4
Tubin: 2
Walton: 1
I can honestly say that I agree with every one of these Cesar! However, I've only heard extracts from Nilelsen L's Symphony No.3 on You Tube which sounded very impressive. I've ordered a CD of Symphony No.2 (CPO) as it was considerably cheaper. I might have gone for Langgaard's 4th Symphony but No.6 is my other favourite. Bax's No.5 has an 'epic' quality I think, especially in Raymond Leppard's recording on Lyrita. I might have gone for Atterberg No.5 'Funebre' which is probably my favourite of his cycle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dima

I can name best epic Russian symphonies in my view because it's my homeland:

Anton Rubinstein - 4
Tchaikovsky - 4, Manfred
Glazunov - 3
Rachmaninov - 2
Prokofiev - 6
Shostakovich - 7, 10

Total Rafa

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 04, 2020, 06:42:11 AM
Maybe I would exclude Mahler 10 and Shostakovich 15. The rest looks fine.  8)

In that case would add in Messiaen Turangalila and Brahms 4.   :)

André

Quote from: Dima on May 01, 2020, 07:41:14 AM
I can name best epic Russian symphonies in my view because it's my homeland:

Anton Rubinstein - 4
Tchaikovsky - 4, Manfred
Glazunov - 3
Rachmaninov - 2
Prokofiev - 6
Shostakovich - 7, 10

Nice choice! Never heard the Rubinstein, so I'll investigate. The Prokofiev 6 is terrific in the concert hall.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 29, 2020, 02:35:07 AM
I can honestly say that I agree with every one of these Cesar! However, I've only heard extracts from Nilelsen L's Symphony No.3 on You Tube which sounded very impressive. I've ordered a CD of Symphony No.2 (CPO) as it was considerably cheaper. I might have gone for Langgaard's 4th Symphony but No.6 is my other favourite. Bax's No.5 has an 'epic' quality I think, especially in Raymond Leppard's recording on Lyrita. I might have gone for Atterberg No.5 'Funebre' which is probably my favourite of his cycle.

In terms of epicness I do prefer the Langgaard's 6th (though I love both to the bone)! I've listened to Atterberg and I've felt myself a bit tired of hearing too many epic symphonies lately.  8)

Noam Chomsky

Dima

Quote from: André on May 01, 2020, 11:30:06 AM
Nice choice! Never heard the Rubinstein, so I'll investigate.
I have only one adequate recording of it (it is not from CD or youtube). If you ask I could download it in on forum. It is interesting for me your's opinion.