What are your 25 favorite symphonies?

Started by Symphonic Addict, February 07, 2020, 04:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

That would be nice, Dima. I understand that the version you could download is superior to what's available on disc. I'm intrigued!

Dima

Quote from: André on May 01, 2020, 01:40:57 PM
That would be nice, Dima. I understand that the version you could download is superior to what's available on disc. I'm intrigued!
The link on recording of 4th symphony "Dramatic"(1874) of Anton Rubinstein, that I have announced (mp3 in zip archive, 112 mb):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xGLCrGPYjTTXZQgX_qiz38JMNUcIbRwL

André

Thank you Dima. I've sent it to a friend for burning on a cdr. I don't have that facility since I only use a tablet. It might take a while since we can't travel/meet during the pandemic  :-X

Thanks again !

Dima

Quote from: Dima on May 02, 2020, 03:55:52 AM
The link on recording of 4th symphony "Dramatic"(1874) of Anton Rubinstein, that I have announced (mp3 in zip archive, 112 mb):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xGLCrGPYjTTXZQgX_qiz38JMNUcIbRwL
May be someone will give a feedback about the symphony in this recording?
In my view the easiest way to understand it is to listen from the 4th part.
The 4th symphony of Anton Rubinstein was written at the time when Tchaikovsky wrote two first symphonies.

André

Hi Dima, as soon as I can get a burned cd of your link I'll listen to it. I sent the link to a friend who burned it on disc for me. For now however Covid-19 precludes any hand to hand exchange of the disc... :(

Maybe someone else got a chance to listen to it?

Mirror Image

Okay, I think I'll give this a try now:

(In no particular order)

Shostakovich: Symphonies 4, 7, & 11
Sibelius: Symphony Nos. 4 & 5
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5
Weinberg: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6
Martinů: Symphony No. 4
Nielsen: Symphony Nos. 3 & 5
Dvořák: Symphony Nos. 4 & 7
Vaughan Williams: Symphonies Nos. 2, 5, & 6
Bruckner: Symphony No. 8
Mahler: Symphony No. 3
Atterberg: Symphony No. 3
Copland: Symphony No. 3
Walton: Symphony No. 1
Myaskovsky: Symphonies Nos. 25 & 27
Brian: Symphony No. 1
Schnittke: Symphony No. 8

Ask me tomorrow and it'll probably be totally different.

Symphonic Addict

Rubinstein could easily apply to this category with his 2nd and 4th symphonies. They do have some grandeur and forceful character. Some of his PCs too contain fine music, so the cello concertos.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2020, 05:18:33 PM

(In no particular order)

I must confess a little of surprise by the Schnittke. A most attractive list, John, by the way. There are several epic that I share.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

FelixSkodi

1. Beethoven 9 (Bernstein, 1989)
2. Mahler 1 (Maazel, VPO)
3. D'Indy 2 (DePriest)
4. Poleva NUll (Sirenko)
5. Bruckner 9 (Jochum, BRSO)
6. Sibelius 7 (Maazel, WP)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2020, 06:33:59 PM
I must confess a little of surprise by the Schnittke. A most attractive list, John, by the way. There are several epic that I share.

Thanks, Cesar. The Schnittke 8th has long been a favorite of mine with the nearly 18 minute Lento being the centerpiece of the symphony. Perhaps it's not 'epic' in the Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings kind of scope, but, I must admit that I find the Schnittke 8th transformative and inspiring in that one can find happiness even when life is weighing you down and keeping you from breaking free from the chains. I was going to add Stenhammar's 2nd or Arnold's 9th to my list, but I had too many already. :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2020, 06:47:12 PM
Thanks, Cesar. The Schnittke 8th has long been a favorite of mine with the nearly 18 minute Lento being the centerpiece of the symphony. Perhaps it's not 'epic' in the Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings kind of scope, but, I must admit that I find the Schnittke 8th transformative and inspiring in that one can find happiness even when life is weighing you down and keeping you from breaking free from the chains. I was going to add Stenhammar's 2nd or Arnold's 9th to my list, but I had too many already. :)

Interesting explanation, John. A perfectly valid interpretation.  8)

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2020, 06:55:58 PM
Interesting explanation, John. A perfectly valid interpretation.  8)

Kudos, Cesar. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2020, 05:18:33 PM

(In no particular order)

Great list John! (Or one that I very much relate to😀)
I need to hear the Schnittke symphony. I really like his Piano Quintet.
As for NYM I'd had included his 6th and 17th symphonies as well - bot are pretty 'epic' IMO. Also maybe Neilsen No.4 and Shostakovich No.8, Roy Harris No.3, Bax No.5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2020, 06:21:52 PM
Rubinstein could easily apply to this category with his 2nd and 4th symphonies. They do have some grandeur and forceful character. Some of his PCs too contain fine music, so the cello concertos.

Rubinstein's 2nd Symphony Ocean was a (surprisingly?) good discovery of mine recently, in its revised 7-movement version of 1880 as recorded by Gunzenhauser and the Slovak Phil on Naxos. Perhaps I found one of the shorter movements rather uninspired and unnecessary but the work otherwise held my attention with its sweeping gestures and often memorable themes. Of course, it's no serious match for later evocations of the sea by Atterberg, Bridge, Debussy, Gilson, Nystroem, RVW, et al. but it's quite impressive for its time. I've been prompted to explore more of Rubinstein's music now.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 24, 2020, 02:55:54 PM
Rubinstein's 2nd Symphony Ocean was a (surprisingly?) good discovery of mine recently, in its revised 7-movement version of 1880 as recorded by Gunzenhauser and the Slovak Phil on Naxos. Perhaps I found one of the shorter movements rather uninspired and unnecessary but the work otherwise held my attention with its sweeping gestures and often memorable themes. Of course, it's no serious match for later evocations of the sea by Atterberg, Bridge, Debussy, Gilson, Nystroem, RVW, et al. but it's quite impressive for its time. I've been prompted to explore more of Rubinstein's music now.

Rubinstein has his moments. I only know the 2nd Symphony in its seven-movement version. I think Rubinstein shines in his chamber music. I especially remember his two piano quartets. Fine, fine music.

Noam Chomsky

Dima

Quote from: kyjo on May 24, 2020, 02:55:54 PM
I must say that the original 4 part version of symphony Ocean is not an image of оcean. It is one of the most sophisticated symphonies. But after critics began joking about that (where is ocean?) Rubinstein added parts with storm and so on, but it was not a good idea to listen critics in my view although he wrote some good music. I would like to recommend to listen it in good version, but there is no one you can buy, and I mostly turn to my imagination. But I have some excerpts of music playing from which you can feel that the the music is deeper than it is played on the only one recording with all 7 parts. If you want to learn his other works, try the 4th symphony in special version that I posted here in this poll topic on forum.

kyjo

So, this thread title used to be "25 favorite epic symphonies" and now it's just "25 favorite symphonies"? In any case, I'll just go with the more general latter choice. ;)

Alfvén 3
Andreae in C major
Arnold 5
Atterberg 2
Braga Santos 4
Brahms 4
Casella 2
Damase (Symphonie)
Dvořák 7
Elgar 2
Korngold in F-sharp
Lloyd 5
Magnard 4
Mahler 6 Tragic
Melartin 3
Mendelssohn 3 Scottish
Moeran in G minor
Nielsen 5
Prokofiev 5
Rachmaninoff 2
Saint-Saëns 3 avec orgue
Schmidt 4
Sibelius 6
Vaughan Williams 2 A London Symphony
Walton 1

P.S. To all those deserving candidates who I had to leave out: don't worry, I'll probably be coming back around at some point with a List #2! 8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

DavidW

This is difficult for me because starting with Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven I'm already at the limit before I even get started!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 28, 2023, 07:45:36 AMThis is difficult for me because starting with Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven I'm already at the limit before I even get started!

lol  ;D

As for me...oh boy!  A bunch of Vaughan Williams and some Sibelius and Dvorak.  I'll have to give this some more thought.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on July 28, 2023, 07:45:36 AMThis is difficult for me because starting with Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven I'm already at the limit before I even get started!

Substitute Haydn, Mozart and Schubert for Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven --- and I find myself in the same predicament.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy