Your ‘Top 10’ Most Prized Box Sets Or Single Issues In Your Collection

Started by Mirror Image, February 09, 2020, 06:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Last two (I can only post four at a time):
[/img]
Plus one bonus:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 01:41:13 PM
Last two (I can only post four at a time):
[/img]
Plus one bonus:

Very nice, that's a great Bliss set and a wonderful Honegger set.  I would not want to be without either.  Hanson I enjoy, but I would probably not notice if the Schwarz recordings disappeared from my collection.  ???

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on February 10, 2020, 10:53:45 AM
Off the beaten tracks:

With that kind of dedication to the early Romantic aesthetic, you must hear Louise Farrenc.   Either set of  the symphonies on CPO or Naxos should do fine.

SimonNZ

First two that immediately sprang to mind, and two of my most played:

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on February 12, 2020, 02:48:00 PM
With that kind of dedication to the early Romantic aesthetic, you must hear Louise Farrenc.   Either set of  the symphonies on CPO or Naxos should do fine.

Thanks for the tip. I think I might have a disc with symphonies.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Iota

Quote from: JBS on February 09, 2020, 08:07:17 PM
That performance may be the best Nozze ever set to record.

It's certainly the best I've ever heard. Electric from start to finish.

I'll have a think about the list of ten recordings.

bhodges

For me, this is easy: all of the sets in the Anthology of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra series, along with the sets devoted to its conductors (Mengelberg, Van Beinum, Haitink, Chailly, Jansons), Haitink's Mahler Keerstmatinees, and the box from the 1995 Mahlerfeest, with the Concertgebouw plus orchestras of Berlín and Vienna. Sample box below (which has a great live Bluebeard's Castle).

[Asin]B0056WOZQM[/asin]

--Bruce

SimonNZ

^that, I think, is the one that has the superb version of Berio's Sinfonia

bhodges

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 13, 2020, 02:33:16 PM
^that, I think, is the one that has the superb version of Berio's Sinfonia

You would be correct! (On the same disc with a rare performance of Morton Feldman's Coptic Light.)

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on February 12, 2020, 02:21:13 PM
Very nice, that's a great Bliss set and a wonderful Honegger set.  I would not want to be without either.  Hanson I enjoy, but I would probably not notice if the Schwarz recordings disappeared from my collection.  ???
Thank you! I love the Bliss set although odd that you get two recordings of Music for Strings and yet Morning Heroes and (I think) Meditations on a Theme by John Blow left out completely! I chose the Schwarz/Hanson -as it is a set although, as performances, I prefer the (marvellous) Koussevitsky in No.3, Schemmerhorn in No.1 and Gerhardt in No.2. The Honegger set on LP, with all those light bulbs on the cover, must have been one of the earliest box sets I bought after the EMI Vaughan Williams, Boult LP box.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Let's give this a shot:

Yes, I'm satisfied with this list. Ask me again in 5 minutes.  :laugh:

vers la flamme

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 14, 2020, 03:19:56 AM
Damn, some of y'all have some really cool stuff. I'm jealous.

No need to be jealous, my friend. In time, you'll amass quite a collection yourself. If you don't want a larger collection, then I would definitely stay off the 'Purchases' thread. ;) ;D

Biffo

Very difficult to think of just ten but I can nominate two.

Mahler Das Lied von der Erde - Klemperer/Ludwig/Wunderlich with the (New) Philharmonia Orchestra - this was the first Mahler I ever bought and I have subsequently bought a replacement LP, a cassette and a CD. Not sure if any of the later CD incarnations are superior masterings so haven't bothered.

Barbirolli conducts English String Music (EMI/Warner) - principally for the Tallis Fantasia. Also bought the cassette and two CD versions - the latest remastering being the best.

I have numerous box sets I couldn't be without but there are too many to mention.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2020, 09:04:51 PM
No need to be jealous, my friend. In time, you'll amass quite a collection yourself. If you don't want a larger collection, then I would definitely stay off the 'Purchases' thread. ;) ;D

I definitely want a bigger collection. But what my wallet wants is a different story... Anyway, I think I've done pretty good for myself (or pretty bad, depending on what standpoint I look at it from) in 1 year of collecting. I went from nothing to having hundreds of individual CDs and dozens of box sets, and I have enjoyed every step along the way.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 16, 2020, 04:02:40 AM
I definitely want a bigger collection. But what my wallet wants is a different story... Anyway, I think I've done pretty good for myself (or pretty bad, depending on what standpoint I look at it from) in 1 year of collecting. I went from nothing to having hundreds of individual CDs and dozens of box sets, and I have enjoyed every step along the way.

I remember my first year of serious classical collecting. It was a wonderful experience and I'd love to go back to that time just to experience a lot of the thrill of discovery I felt at every moment. Of course, I'd only want to visit that time temporarily as I now, 11 years later, have a better understanding of this music. I probably could have saved myself some money down the line, too, but sometimes you never will truly know how you'll feel about a composer's music so many years down the road. It seems everything I buy now, I'm just filling in gaps, but I'm still finding some surprises.