I was mad today for good reason lol

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, February 12, 2020, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

My excellent Robert Fayrfax triple album on ASV was not right, some song were partial and would not play.

I was like jeez, let's keep calm, re-download the thing hmm, to my surprise  first try, some song would not play, I was like oh no I done worst, so I had to re-download it a second time and guess what same problem as first  re-download, I was like what the F(word), third was  worst, eventually after the fourth  I was like Christ!!! I'm seriously mad, but the fifth time it work.

I learn stuff about download don't ever simultaneously download a large file there chance it will get ugly be patient...

Since I love that Robert Fayrfax  triple album I was furious and thinking naively stuff like this only happen to me lol

Irons

Quote from: deprofundis on February 12, 2020, 08:25:31 AM
My excellent Robert Fayrfax triple album on ASV was not right, some song were partial and would not play.

I was like jeez, let's keep calm, re-download the thing hmm, to my surprise  first try, some song would not play, I was like oh no I done worst, so I had to re-download it a second time and guess what same problem as first  re-download, I was like what the F(word), third was  worst, eventually after the fourth  I was like Christ!!! I'm seriously mad, but the fifth time it work.

I learn stuff about download don't ever simultaneously download a large file there chance it will get ugly be patient...

Since I love that Robert Fayrfax  triple album I was furious and thinking naively stuff like this only happen to me lol

Thought you were talking to me for a moment! :)

I can do much better then that! As my cartridge has been sent away for refurbishment I fixed a spare to my tone arm. Nestled down in my listening chair for a session to hear the most horrible noise that shared little likeness to music! I knew the cartridge was fine so something else was amiss. I checked everything in turn twice with the same result. Instead of music, three hours of bent over deck trying to figure out the problem.

In desperation instead of a digital arm load meter l use to set tracking force I rescued an old SME mechanical scales lurking at the back of a draw. The scales did not move! All was revealed - I had inadvertently pressed a button, of which I had no idea of its use, which had changed the weighing mode. The meter was showing the correct digits, in this case 1.70 but not in grams. The arm was in fact balanced at .50g.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

I hate days like that---wasting hours trying to patiently (or not so much) fix *things!

Speaking of turntables, I'm hoping to get the loaner from a friend back soon [this is the one for my study upstairs].  I mean to ask him today whether or not he's heard back yet from the shop.  There was an issue with a ground loop.  Thankfully, we happened to bump into a man who used to own a local stereo shop and he gave us a tip on how to figure out where the problem was coming from.  And it worked!   :)

*Most often:  something computer related!!   >:(

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2020, 05:25:46 AM
I hate days like that---wasting hours trying to patiently (or not so much) fix *things!

Speaking of turntables, I'm hoping to get the loaner from a friend back soon [this is the one for my study upstairs].  I mean to ask him today whether or not he's heard back yet from the shop.  There was an issue with a ground loop.  Thankfully, we happened to bump into a man who used to own a local stereo shop and he gave us a tip on how to figure out where the problem was coming from.  And it worked!   :)

*Most often:  something computer related!!   >:(

Best,

PD

Hum from a ground loop can reduce a grown man (or lady) to tears!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 16, 2020, 05:27:10 AM
Hum from a ground loop can reduce a grown man (or lady) to tears!

LOL  He (my friend) did try to fix it by adding in a 3-prong to a 2-prong converter (which worked for a short time).  Think that it's a Thorens...something or other MKII??  It's an old turntable.  The former shop owner suggested gently moving the wires one at a time and that I would hear it.  Bingo!  It was/is the ground wire (permanently hardwired to the turntable).  He carefully took off the plinth and unscrewed things to see how the wire was attached (I assisted:  providing tools and flashlight :-) ).  We both decided that it would be too hard to get at ourselves.  I think that he's going to get it set up so that one can remove the ground wire (adding in a plug-in of sorts), so that if the wire goes bad in the future, all you have to do is to unplug it and plug in a new one--rather than having to dissemble and solder(?) a new part into place, etc.  Still, a bit of a pain in the *(& to have it fiddle with it, box it up again, unbox it to take it apart and assess the situation, box up yet again, and then to take to the stereo shop.  No word yet from shop owner...hopefully soon!   :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 16, 2020, 08:21:38 AM
LOL  He (my friend) did try to fix it by adding in a 3-prong to a 2-prong converter (which worked for a short time).  Think that it's a Thorens...something or other MKII??  It's an old turntable.  The former shop owner suggested gently moving the wires one at a time and that I would hear it.  Bingo!  It was/is the ground wire (permanently hardwired to the turntable).  He carefully took off the plinth and unscrewed things to see how the wire was attached (I assisted:  providing tools and flashlight :-) ).  We both decided that it would be too hard to get at ourselves.  I think that he's going to get it set up so that one can remove the ground wire (adding in a plug-in of sorts), so that if the wire goes bad in the future, all you have to do is to unplug it and plug in a new one--rather than having to dissemble and solder(?) a new part into place, etc.  Still, a bit of a pain in the *(& to have it fiddle with it, box it up again, unbox it to take it apart and assess the situation, box up yet again, and then to take to the stereo shop.  No word yet from shop owner...hopefully soon!   :(

That is the trouble you get drawn in deeper and deeper. Turntables are usually the root cause maybe because there are two earth points, the arm and turntable which results in a loop. In my system consisting of TT, CD, Pre and Power amp only one is connecting to a earth wall socket. Any more the that and it hums like Lee Marvin. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 17, 2020, 01:32:39 AM
That is the trouble you get drawn in deeper and deeper. Turntables are usually the root cause maybe because there are two earth points, the arm and turntable which results in a loop. In my system consisting of TT, CD, Pre and Power amp only one is connecting to a earth wall socket. Any more the that and it hums like Lee Marvin. :)
So, how do you have your components set up Irons?  In my main listening area, I have my various components plugged into a Panamax surge protector [power conditioner] which is then plugged into a wall outlet.  Nobody's humming there (thank God!) https://www.panamax.com/sites/panamax.com/files/_/Legacy-Documents/AV-Componenets/m5100_manual.pdf  The TT is also newer too.   :)

Best,

PD

p.s.  I realize that you have an older (but wonderful!) turntable; have you ever had any of the wiring replaced?
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 17, 2020, 03:43:30 AM
So, how do you have your components set up Irons?  In my main listening area, I have my various components plugged into a Panamax surge protector [power conditioner] which is then plugged into a wall outlet.  Nobody's humming there (thank God!) https://www.panamax.com/sites/panamax.com/files/_/Legacy-Documents/AV-Componenets/m5100_manual.pdf  The TT is also newer too.   :)

Best,

PD

p.s.  I realize that you have an older (but wonderful!) turntable; have you ever had any of the wiring replaced?

Straight into the mains, P.

Built like the proverbial tank my circa 1974 TT beside a change of plinth and a yearly lube has remained as I acquired it in the mid-1990's.

Pohjolas Daughter

Interesting.  I just found this (see top reply):  https://www.quora.com/Why-do-turntables-have-separate-ground-wires?share=1

New info to me.  Will be interesting to see if the repairs solves the problem or if I need to set up things differently in my study. 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2020, 04:39:59 AM
Interesting.  I just found this (see top reply):  https://www.quora.com/Why-do-turntables-have-separate-ground-wires?share=1

New info to me.  Will be interesting to see if the repairs solves the problem or if I need to set up things differently in my study. 

Static mentioned in your link is a good point, P. I often receive a small shock when touching the arm-lift when wearing slippers (soon learnt to kick them off).

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2020, 06:31:05 AM

I have to deal with wool carpets and I often wear wool slippers with rubber bottoms!   :-[ :(  I do try and keep a warm air humidifier going though.  Me thinks I need to find some old-fashioned leather-bottom slippers.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter