Did you ever beat the crap out of a CM album you hate?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, February 12, 2020, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Imagine you pay big buck for a double CD almost 100$ and the sound is so darn drab compressed, there is no life, you feel like a s*cker for buying it, have you ever destroy a CD or LP out of anger because it was expensive and crappy.

Once I  purchased a very expensive Arnold Schoenberg  double cd of Gurre-Lieder, my first reflex was just sell it, I try but the records store would not buy it(oh no)... dont get me wrong I love Schoenberg andd it featured Verlatre Natch  a very good conductor I wont name because I normally herald this man works as super good I  wont name him because I have a huge respect for this conductor but heck, when I destroy the CD , torch it...

Do you have a similar story to tell, you took a chance, seem good look good , was expensive, but you hated it...

vers la flamme

Which Gurre-Lieder did you get? Cmon, let us know so none of us make the same mistake  ;D

Carlo Gesualdo

Zubin Matha and the Israel Philharmonic, like I said i hate to bash the man work he a great conductor his Rimsky Korsakov Cappricio espanol was awesome in fact everything he did was  full of life, he still a great composer in my book, and to be fair is  Verlatre Natch was decent it just the Gurre-Lieder  that I felt was butcher in a way or another.

Sorry mister Metha, forgive my harsh critic, but it's just I heard better Gurre-Lieder I heard better, I was deceived, but please folkss don't tell him it's a secret between you and me dear Zubin Metha most never know this...

:'(

Maestro267

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Marc

Quote from: deprofundis on February 14, 2020, 05:34:20 AM
Zubin Matha and the Israel Philharmonic, like I said i hate to bash the man work he a great conductor his Rimsky Korsakov Cappricio espanol was awesome in fact everything he did was  full of life, he still a great composer in my book, and to be fair is  Verlatre Natch was decent it just the Gurre-Lieder  that I felt was butcher in a way or another.

Sorry mister Metha, forgive my harsh critic, but it's just I heard better Gurre-Lieder I heard better, I was deceived, but please folkss don't tell him it's a secret between you and me dear Zubin Metha most never know this...

:'(

Too late.

He's here for a good coffee and, over my shoulder, reading this harsh critic.

He just left without saying where he was going.

By the way: the only disc I really regretted buying (but maybe I forget a few) was an affordable Naxos disc, with Rachmaninov's Vespers.
I threw it away. I did not even consider giving it to one of my many many many enemies.

Biffo

Why not just give them away to a charity shop? Someone might buy the disc(s) and appreciate them.

vandermolen

Gottschalk's 'Night in the Tropics' was a big disappointment. However, I didn't 'beat the cr*p' out of the album - probably just gave it away to a charity shop.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2020, 01:48:55 AM
Gottschalk's 'Night in the Tropics' was a big disappointment. However, I didn't 'beat the cr*p' out of the album - probably just gave it away to a charity shop.

I still have that Naxos album. It wasn't a big disappointment but it hasn't been played for many years. I have numerous albums languishing unplayed, I really ought to have a massive clear out but can never bring myself to do it. I am sure that if I did there would be an album I wanted to listen to, probably for reference purposes, within a matter of weeks.

I culled about 25% of my LPs when I moved house and now regret the loss of a handful of them. The only consolation is that they went to a good home.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on February 15, 2020, 02:05:17 AM
I still have that Naxos album. It wasn't a big disappointment but it hasn't been played for many years. I have numerous albums languishing unplayed, I really ought to have a massive clear out but can never bring myself to do it. I am sure that if I did there would be an album I wanted to listen to, probably for reference purposes, within a matter of weeks.

I culled about 25% of my LPs when I moved house and now regret the loss of a handful of them. The only consolation is that they went to a good home.

My experience is very similar although my wife would like it if I cleared all the CDs out of the house (possibly along with myself  8)). I sold quite a few LPs to a dealer some years ago but I kept quite a few and now I'm buying the occasional LP again as I have something to play them on again. However, as I keep telling myself, there is something therapeutic about getting rid of stuff although an internal battle goes on in my head between the desire to reduce my 'stuff' and my obsessional CD collecting tendency. I have been known to donate a CD to a charity shop and then buy it back  ::).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2020, 02:23:24 AM
My experience is very similar although my wife would like it if I cleared all the CDs out of the house (possibly along with myself  8)).
??? :(However, as I keep telling myself, there is something therapeutic about getting rid of stuff although an internal battle goes on in my head between the desire to reduce my 'stuff' and my obsessional CD collecting tendency. I have been known to donate a CD to a charity shop and then buy it back  ::).
[/quote] ;Dlol

I currently have a bin in a corner of my dining room which has things to go to charity....alas, much more that should go there too!  Also, tempted to take some things to a local record store to get some store credit...to get yet more stuff!   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ShineyMcShineShine

No, I almost always listen to a disc before I buy it so as not to waste my money. And I've outgrown the phase in life when I destroyed things that enraged me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 17, 2020, 08:26:57 PM
No, I almost always listen to a disc before I buy it so as not to waste my money. And I've outgrown the phase in life when I destroyed things that enraged me.
I've often sampled discs in stores (if they have a CD player setup that customers can use) which is helpful.  I've never listened to a whole album though.  Operas can be more challenging though...or other long works.

I have read about people using CDs that they didn't enjoy in their vegetable gardens as a way to scare away birds.   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Marc

Quote from: Biffo on February 15, 2020, 01:38:57 AM
Why not just give them away to a charity shop? Someone might buy the disc(s) and appreciate them.

You are obviously right.
But in this case:
A. I was really mad and not thinking anyore when I threw it in the trash can.
B. I could not imagine (despite the fact that I was not thinking) that any person would even like one second of this recording.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2020, 04:48:02 AM
I have read about people using CDs that they didn't enjoy in their vegetable gardens as a way to scare away birds.   ;D

I love this review telling how a dreadful CD helped get rid of a hated work colleague 8).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R718F0CR4GRKY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00000G6A2#R718F0CR4GRKY

Marc

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 17, 2020, 08:26:57 PM

I don't have the patience/time to listen to them before buying, lol. Sometimes I just get too greedy.
But that wretched Naxos Rachmaninov was the last one I 'destroyed'.

Now I consider the less enjoyed discs as part of me and my life. I kept on buying the Leusink Bach cantatas box sets during 2000, because I wanted to have the Brilliant Bach Edition COMPLETE. And when I listened to them, I found out that I did not like them. But I'm gonna keep them, because I wanted to be a darn completist back then and the proof is in my record closets. A bit dusty, but still: proof.