Your One and Only Soulmate Composer

Started by Florestan, February 14, 2020, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 17, 2020, 03:27:49 PM
The important thing is that they're alive in our very old, almost antique & always ancient hearts.   :'(

#fixed? #hopeso  :(

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2020, 04:11:48 PM
What? ???

Yea. #that  >:(
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2020, 01:30:29 PM
The one and only composer whose music, no matter how familiar or how new, unfailingly touches and stirs the deepest recesses of your soul...

The one and only composer whose music you feel encapsulates the whole gamut of human experience, from the darkest despair to the most exhilarating joy and everything in between...

The one and only composer whose music you feel to be the most humane, companionable and life-affirming...

One and only one, please!

Like a couple of other people, different sentences in this elicit slightly different responses in me.

I don't know if anyone unfailingly touches me. Even my favourite composers (and pop artists) have the occasional moments in their career where a work is just kind of... eh.

And I'm not sure that the bit about being humane, companiable and life-affirming goes with encapsulating everything and touching deep recesses. If I was going for those former qualities I might suggest Dvorak...

I largely thought about Beethoven and Faure. If absolutely pushed I think I'm going to say Beethoven, but it's such a close-run thing I actually changed which name I put a couple of times while writing this sentence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on February 18, 2020, 01:29:38 AM
Like a couple of other people, different sentences in this elicit slightly different responses in me.

I don't know if anyone unfailingly touches me. Even my favourite composers (and pop artists) have the occasional moments in their career where a work is just kind of... eh.

And I'm not sure that the bit about being humane, companiable and life-affirming goes with encapsulating everything and touching deep recesses. If I was going for those former qualities I might suggest Dvorak...

I largely thought about Beethoven and Faure. If absolutely pushed I think I'm going to say Beethoven, but it's such a close-run thing I actually changed which name I put a couple of times while writing this sentence.

I was sure you'd nominate Faure. And yes, Dvorak is a strong contender in the humane-companionable-life-affirming department.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on February 18, 2020, 02:55:51 AM
I was sure you'd nominate Faure.

I think it was the consistency element that made me waver. There are various really small, minor pieces that don't make much of an impact with me.

Whereas the 10 big chamber pieces? When my grandmother died some years ago I didn't listen to anything else for a couple of weeks.

If you'd permitted a dead heat I would have gone for it, but you were so insistent.  ;D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I agree that these criteria don't always align perfectly to choose one composer. What's more, "soulmate" feels too intimate for me. I have to name Beethoven, but the only thing I have in common with the man or his music is short temper and irascibility. It would be totally preposterous for me to claim him or his music as my soulmate. To increase the weirdness I have even thought about what piece of music one would like to be, say one would be reincarnated in such a fashion. This is such a strange thought that I doubt it was my original idea (I probably stole it from amw?). Anyway, I admittedly have had such a thought and the piece is Beethoven's op.135 although I cannot quite explain why. It is a favorite but not my favorite Beethoven piece or even quartet. I guess being op.131 or op.132 would be too painful for me as I utterly lack the Beethovenian determination and courage.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

greg

Mahler.

If we are keeping track, I just want him to win. So count it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on February 18, 2020, 07:59:35 AM
Mahler.

If we are keeping track, I just want him to win. So count it.

This isn't a competition.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2020, 10:14:14 AM
This isn't a competition.
But technically everything is a competition (a game). It's just a matter of whether you choose to ignore that aspect or not.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on February 18, 2020, 10:28:34 AM
But technically everything is a competition (a game). It's just a matter of whether you choose to ignore that aspect or not.  ;D

It's only a game if you believe it to be. I, on the other hand, do not.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2020, 10:29:16 AM
It's only a game if you believe it to be. I, on the other hand, do not.
There is going to be someone with the most votes by the time the thread is over... which could be called a "winner."

The better argument for it not being a game would be that the composers are dead and couldn't care less.  ;D

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Madiel

Quote from: Christo on February 18, 2020, 09:55:08 AM
Your temper (not mine).  #again #greetings  :-\

Funny, I could have sworn it was you rather than Florestan who wished me dead yesterday in the Movies thread. But apparently you don't have a temper.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on February 18, 2020, 04:07:37 AM
I agree that these criteria don't always align perfectly to choose one composer. What's more, "soulmate" feels too intimate for me.

That's precisely the idea: the one composer you feel he wrote his music for you (hence the "touches and stirs the deepest recesses of your soul").

But I agree that this is a criterion that can have multiple answers, and that adding the other two criteria only multiplies the choices.

I went with Schubert for all 3 criteria combined, and other composers who meet all 3 of them in (almost) the same proportion are Mozart first and foremost, followed by Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff (in chronological order). Schumann, Faure, Dvorak and Brahms are strong contenders as well.

So, dead heat allowed, folks --- but up to 5.  :)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Cato

My "Soulmate" is a Trinity:   0:) 0:) 0:)    ???

Bruckner, Mahler,Schoenberg    ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on February 18, 2020, 03:01:32 PM

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on February 18, 2020, 03:01:32 PM

Excellent!...that's two-thirds of my Trinity.
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 18, 2020, 03:55:35 PM
Excellent!...that's two-thirds of my Trinity.

And yours is...Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

Quote from: Cato on February 18, 2020, 04:20:09 PM
And yours is...Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler  ;)

With one Ring to rule them all !  :D

Madiel

If we're being trinitarian I think I'm going with Beethoven, Faure and Tori Amos.

I even get to see one of my trinity perform live.

EDIT: Plus we've talked AND she's given me a hug.