Your One and Only Soulmate Composer

Started by Florestan, February 14, 2020, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

The one and only composer whose music, no matter how familiar or how new, unfailingly touches and stirs the deepest recesses of your soul...

The one and only composer whose music you feel encapsulates the whole gamut of human experience, from the darkest despair to the most exhilarating joy and everything in between...

The one and only composer whose music you feel to be the most humane, companionable and life-affirming...

One and only one, please!

For me, it's Franz Schubert.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Biffo

bhodges

Mahler

(As I stare awkwardly down at my feet, pondering so many others.)

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Mahler...staring at my feet too but not so awkwardly...just a bit unsteady...

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wanderer

San Antone

André

T. D.

vandermolen

Torn between Vaughan Williams and Miaskovsky.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

San Antone

Using this thread, we can come up with a GMG Favorite Composers list:

Mahler (2)
Bach (2)
Schubert
Berlioz
Wagner
Beethoven
Mozart
Debussy
Vaughan Williams*
Miakovsky*

* Unclear how to treat Vaughan Williams and Miakovsky, since Vandermolen said they were tied. And Christo was not clear which of the two he chose.

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on February 15, 2020, 05:31:54 AM
Using this thread, we can come up with a GMG Favorite Composers list:

Mahler (2)
Bach (2)
Schubert
Berlioz
Wagner
Beethoven
Mozart
Debussy
Vaughan Williams*
Miakovsky*

* Unclear to treat Vaughan Williams and Miakovsky, since Vandermolen said they were tied. And Christo was unclear which of the two he chose.

All of those except Debussy and Miakovsky  would come in my top 10.

Florestan

Very interesting answers, thank you.

I was torn between Schubert and Mozart but eventually Schwammerl won over Wolferl. I guess it's the ultimate expression of my irrepressible romantic taste and inclination.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on February 15, 2020, 05:31:54 AM
Vaughan Williams*
* Unclear how to treat Vaughan Williams and Miakovsky, since Vandermolen said they were tied. And Christo was not clear which of the two he chose.

My avatar will never look back into your face again!  ??? :'(
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

San Antone

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 09:30:35 AM
My avatar will never look back into your face again!  ??? :'(

LOL, I have set my site prefs so that member's avatars don't display.  RVW it is then. 

Mahler (2)
Bach (2)
Schubert
Berlioz
Wagner
Beethoven
Mozart
Debussy
Vaughan Williams
Miakovsky*

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on February 15, 2020, 09:32:48 AM
LOL, I have set my site prefs so that member's avatars don't display.  RVW it is then. 

Mahler (2)
Bach (2)
Vaughan Williams (1,5)
Schubert
Berlioz
Wagner
Beethoven
Mozart
Debussy
Miakovsky (0,5)

#fixed #2x 8)

Symphonic Addict

The genius of Bonn: Ludwig van Beethoven.

Yesterday I attended a concert with 3 of his string quartets. Absolutely mindblowing, music of the highest inspiration, sheer mastery. Upon hearing this kind of music live is critically different to hear it on CD. The impression they gave me is priceless.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Christo