Whom pulled out the best Peter Abélard, hard to tell here why?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, February 17, 2020, 04:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

The vinyl on reflexe Germany import I like it a lot, perhaps for the gorgeous ars vetus sounds in analogue, quite lovely stuff, but Bayard Record did and excellent Job too, later on whit an Album,what even more complicated facts is the fact the English label Herald done a splendid job too, there all god have them all, but sure Herald did  ''a coup de force'' this remain very great perhaps a tip better  whit Bayard release but in the end both are good listen, so has King Solomon I says buy them all, to be honest  not bias there all great record of there own and respective era.

Mandryka

Planctus David (Dolorum Solatium.)

Its  form is repetitive and the melody is simple enough to risk becoming irritating.  It is long, and  the audience of today doesn't  have a spontaneous understanding of oral Latin.

Despite these performance challenges,  I've found these versions, have I missed any?

Sequentia
Vox Cosmica
Ensemble für frühe musik augsburg
Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge
Hillier/Stubbs
Studio Der frühen musik
Theatre of Voices
Jeremy Summerly
Ensemble Ligeriana

Jeremy Summerly is the only one bold (foolish?) enough to take it solo a capella. All the others use instruments in some way or other apart from Schola Gregoriana. All use male voices only. Schola Gregoriana get it over with the most swiftly. Studio Der frühen music take an amazing 22 minutes, partly because of instrumental sections.

The range of approaches is quite wide. At one level, we have a capella - voice and instrumental interludes - voices and simultaneous instrumental accompaniment. At another level, styles range from relatively undemonstrative mainstream  western chant through to dramatic story telling and on to Balkan night club style.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen