The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

John Cage's Number Pieces

<< < (2/10) > >>

Mandryka:
Today I've been listening to Two6, for violin and piano.

I've found four recordings, and I must say this one on Mode with Ami Flammer and Martine Joste has really caught my imagination. I've listened to the whole thing twice! Normally I've got an attention span of about 10 minutes.

I think this must be very hard to play, there's just nowhere for the musicians to hide! It must be hard to create enough mystery and enough beauty to entice the listener to continue for the duration.

I've come across three other performances of Two6. Irvvin Arditti and Drury plays it here

It's strange. It is much more challenging than any other recording of it, long long silences, lots of very straight tone playing, there's little about it which is seductive. But there's something telling me that what he does is interesting, at least I'm not prepared to abandon it just yet. I may be wrong -- it's pull may be just that it's so different. These guys are very experienced of course.

Apart from that there are these two

They both seem OK, maybe less refined than Flammer and Joste.

By the way there's another thing which is called something resembling Two6 here

But it isn't! I don't know what's going on.

(Problem through  a bad tag on Qobuz and other platforms. )

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: André on February 20, 2020, 05:55:11 AM ---I’ve had this on my wish list for quite some time now. The work is performed in two different ways - whatever that’s supposed to mean. I’m interested in your comments !

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/John-Cage-1912-1992-Thirteen/hnum/6646974

--- End quote ---

Well, listening for ten minutes to the first one has made me keen to hear the rest! Sounds promising.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: André on February 20, 2020, 05:55:11 AM ---I’ve had this on my wish list for quite some time now. The work is performed in two different ways - whatever that’s supposed to mean. I’m interested in your comments !

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/John-Cage-1912-1992-Thirteen/hnum/6646974

--- End quote ---

There’s also this, which is very well recorded, full of inner life. I think it’s become clear already that The Number Pieces séries on Mode is going to be essential listening!

Thirteen may have been his last piece, or maybe two6. Looking now for intimations or mortality . . .the feeling of valediction . . .  like in Feldman’s final work (I know that’s a fool’s errand!) Written in May 1992, he died the following August.

T. D.:
Spinning this one now (haven't listened in a long time):

Strange, in the number pieces it seems like I'm preferring the sonorities of wind instruments and piano to those of strings...have to listen more.

André:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on February 20, 2020, 10:41:06 AM ---There’s also this, which is very well recorded, full of inner life. I think it’s become clear already that The Number Pieces séries on Mode is going to be essential listening!

Thirteen may have been his last piece, or maybe two6. Looking now for intimations or mortality . . .the feeling of valediction . . .  like in Feldman’s final work (I know that’s a fool’s errand!) Written in May 1992, he died the following August.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. More music to discover!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version