Old Musical Instruments & Modern Reproductions!

Started by SonicMan46, March 14, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 29, 2021, 05:48:52 AM
But I suppose they are not true historically informed baroque copies.

No, certainly they are merely fiddle-shaped pieces of wood with modern conformation. Of course, this is not a new phenomenon, I have my grandfather's old violin which was built in the 19th century and it also proudly displays a Strad label. It is modern in every significant way. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Thanks Tony for the discussion and the link - Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 29, 2021, 06:21:58 AM
Correct. For one thing, the necks of the originals were different than those required for more modern playing techniques. At some point during the 19th century, grafts were used to increase the neck length and angle of older instruments. I believe every genuine Strad in existence underwent that process at some point.
Oh, interesting!  I found this blog about some of the changes made.  http://blog.feinviolins.com/2015/06/your-violin-neck-used-to-be-shorter.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 16, 2021, 01:25:25 PM
Thanks PD for your comments - I was the one who posted about the book on the clarinet.  I've been to the Yale University Press website and saw the OOP notification and the $50 price - did not leave an email but will do; also Eric Hoeprich has an email address at Indiana University (where he teaches - assume periodically) which I might get his input if he replies?  My wife has gotten me a number of borrowed books in North Carolina by using the inter-library loan options - she's working on it now - we have a lot of musical university programs here and many likely have the book.  Dave :)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2021, 02:44:50 AM
You're welcome!  And let us know how your quest turns out.  :)  PD

p.s.  And isn't inter-library loan great!  And a big hand to all of the librarians working hard to fulfill all of our book/dvd/cd, etc. needs (and a lot of them just being 'wants') during a pandemic!

Well, the clarinet book by Eric Hoeprich is sitting on the table next to my den chair, just delivered by my wife from our local library!  8)

A North Carolina inter-departmental loan from Appalachian State University's 'Music Library' in Boone, NC (up in the Blue Ridge Mountains) - the book has 316 text pages (with an index and detailed notes/references) and is written by an academic with much detail; many illustrations - have gotten through the first three chapters but likely will skim some material and in depth detail - has chapters on the basset horn and bass clarinet at the end - looking forward to reading those discussions.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 29, 2021, 01:33:15 PM
Well, the clarinet book by Eric Hoeprich is sitting on the table next to my den chair, just delivered by my wife from our local library!  8)

A North Carolina inter-departmental loan from Appalachian State University's 'Music Library' in Boone, NC (up in the Blue Ridge Mountains) - the book has 316 text pages (with an index and detailed notes/references) and is written by an academic with much detail; many illustrations - have gotten through the first three chapters but likely will skim some material and in depth detail - has chapters on the basset horn and bass clarinet at the end - looking forward to reading those discussions.  Dave :)

Excellent!  I'm so glad for you that you managed to get ahold of a copy!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 30, 2021, 03:48:55 AM
Excellent!  I'm so glad for you that you managed to get ahold of a copy!  :)

PD

1+ PD - Dave 👍

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 29, 2021, 01:33:15 PM

ADDENDUM: For those who might be interested in Hoeprich's book on the clarinet, I've inserted the 'Table of Contents' w/ the chapter listings above - this is an excellent book, although I've been skimming some of the more obscure/detailed parts - now on chapter 5 'The Classical Clarinet' - last one on the 'Chalumeau' was fascinating, and concentrated of such composers as Telemann, Vivaldi, and Graupner, the latter considered by the author to be the most prolific composer for that family of instruments; click on the listing to enlarge, if interested.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 29, 2021, 06:21:58 AM
Correct. For one thing, the necks of the originals were different than those required for more modern playing techniques. At some point during the 19th century, grafts were used to increase the neck length and angle of older instruments. I believe every genuine Strad in existence underwent that process at some point.
Dave,

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 30, 2021, 04:49:57 AM
1+ PD - Dave 👍
Dave,

Pardon me please if I've asked this before, but do you play the clarinet yourself?  Just curious.  :)

Amazing that he has actually made his own instruments!  Quite multi-talented!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 01, 2021, 01:55:55 PM
Dave,
Dave,

Pardon me please if I've asked this before, but do you play the clarinet yourself?  Just curious.  :)

Amazing that he has actually made his own instruments!  Quite multi-talented!

PD

Hi PD - sorry for the delay in responding; Susan & I are on our first vacation since early 2020 - a 4-nighter on Kiawah, Island, South Carolina - we had to see the ocean after nearly a year and a half!  :(

Eric Hoeprich is certainly interesting in many ways (short snippet below from his Indiana University bio - more in the link) - assume that he still has an association with the school in Bloomington, Indiana, where our son went to college (and met his future wife - they live in Indianapolis and we've not seen them since late 2019 - we've all had our vaccinations, so hopefully later this summer?).

As for me and the clarinet, I'm not a player but have enjoyed the instrument in both classical and jazz music for decades; also have a deep interest in the development of musical instruments and the woodwinds and keyboards seem to attract my attention the most over the years.  NOW, as a teenage, I did play the accordion but was not that good - bought a new modest one on my retirement and can still play some simple tunes -  :laugh:

However, Susan is the musician in the family, a beautiful soprano singing voice (she was in college choral groups in Providence, RI & Chicago, IL - and had some solos); also, grew up playing the piano and can sight read easily - since our marriage, she has accumulated a variety of other instruments which she 'dabbles in'; examples, Irish harps, recorders, guitars, ukeleles, dulcimer, and a few others.  Dave :)

QuoteHoeprich's interest in historical clarinets has led to the publication of numerous articles and a general text on the clarinet published by Yale University Press (The Clarinet, 2008). He has amassed a collection of over 100 antique clarinets, including instruments from the eighteenth century, which has also led to restoration and construction of replicas of period originals. He maintains a workshop for instrument making at his home near London. (Source)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 03, 2021, 05:47:30 AM
Hi PD - sorry for the delay in responding; Susan & I are on our first vacation since early 2020 - a 4-nighter on Kiawah, Island, South Carolina - we had to see the ocean after nearly a year and a half!  :(

Eric Hoeprich is certainly interesting in many ways (short snippet below from his Indiana University bio - more in the link) - assume that he still has an association with the school in Bloomington, Indiana, where our son went to college (and met his future wife - they live in Indianapolis and we've not seen them since late 2019 - we've all had our vaccinations, so hopefully later this summer?).

As for me and the clarinet, I'm not a player but have enjoyed the instrument in both classical and jazz music for decades; also have a deep interest in the development of musical instruments and the woodwinds and keyboards seem to attract my attention the most over the years.  NOW, as a teenage, I did play the accordion but was not that good - bought a new modest one on my retirement and can still play some simple tunes -  :laugh:

However, Susan is the musician in the family, a beautiful soprano singing voice (she was in college choral groups in Providence, RI & Chicago, IL - and had some solos); also, grew up playing the piano and can sight read easily - since our marriage, she has accumulated a variety of other instruments which she 'dabbles in'; examples, Irish harps, recorders, guitars, ukeleles, dulcimer, and a few others.  Dave :)
Oh, nice!  That's far more than what I can play/read (and I won't a even touch on 'singing').  Glad that you had a nice vacation!  Sorry, I missed this posting 'til now (must click on Page 2 more often  ::)  ).

PD

p.s.  Will be receiving my second shot today (presuming that all goes well).  8)
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

I just received this info in an email from Boston's Museum of Fine Art and thought it might be of interest to others here:

I hope this message finds you well. I write to share news of an exciting new video production made by the Handel and Haydn Society in collaboration with the MFA!

In celebration of our new galleries for Dutch and Flemish art, this free virtual concert brings together music and visual art in stunning harmony. Taking place in the spectacular company of Gerrit van Honthorst's monumental Triumph of the Winter Queen, the program features H+H players performing on instruments from the MFA's collection as well as commentary from the Museum's curators.

A special highlight for fans of musical instruments is the first public hearing of our newest acquisition: a muselar virginal (a type of harpsichord) made by Joannes Ruckers the Younger in 1620 in Antwerp, and restored in 1906 by early music pioneer Arnold Dolmetsch right here in Boston. Played by keyboardist Ian Watson, it accompanies soprano Sonja DuToit Tengblad in a German song of the time period. Then, moving to our incredible Hemsch harpsichord, Watson performs a set of six variations on that song, composed by the influential Netherlandish composer Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.

You will also soon be able to hear the sounds of this concert inside one of the new Dutch and Flemish Galleries at the MFA! I hope you enjoy the concert, and come visit us at the Museum soon!

All my best,
Bobby Giglio
Pappalardo Assistant Curator for Musical Instruments

WATCH
https://youtu.be/2vxvvW1VunQ

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

SonicMan46

Quote from: Szykneij on November 22, 2021, 08:20:57 AM
I just received this info in an email from Boston's Museum of Fine Art and thought it might be of interest to others here:

I hope this message finds you well. I write to share news of an exciting new video production made by the Handel and Haydn Society in collaboration with the MFA!

In celebration of our new galleries for Dutch and Flemish art, this free virtual concert brings together music and visual art in stunning harmony. Taking place in the spectacular company of Gerrit van Honthorst's monumental Triumph of the Winter Queen, the program features H+H players performing on instruments from the MFA's collection as well as commentary from the Museum's curators.

A special highlight for fans of musical instruments is the first public hearing of our newest acquisition: a muselar virginal (a type of harpsichord) made by Joannes Ruckers the Younger in 1620 in Antwerp, and restored in 1906 by early music pioneer Arnold Dolmetsch right here in Boston. Played by keyboardist Ian Watson, it accompanies soprano Sonja DuToit Tengblad in a German song of the time period. Then, moving to our incredible Hemsch harpsichord, Watson performs a set of six variations on that song, composed by the influential Netherlandish composer Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck..........

All my best,
Bobby Giglio
Pappalardo Assistant Curator for Musical Instruments

WATCH
https://youtu.be/2vxvvW1VunQ

Hi Tony - we were on vacation in Boston pre-COVID (June 2019) - did much including a visit to the MFA, and spent some time in the music collection area, as impressive as ever!  Thanks for the link above, a nice performance.  Dave :)

Szykneij

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 22, 2021, 09:00:08 AM
Hi Tony - we were on vacation in Boston pre-COVID (June 2019) - did much including a visit to the MFA, and spent some time in the music collection area, as impressive as ever!  Thanks for the link above, a nice performance.  Dave :)

Glad you were able to visit the MFA! I was at a wedding reception this past weekend and thought it looked odd to see the wedding party reading their toasts off of their phones (which also made me jealous that they had the eyesight to actually see the text.)  It looked even stranger to me to see the singer in the video, accompanied by period instruments, reading her music off of a tablet. I guess it's just something to get used to.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

I'm not necessarily a big fan of technology, but this seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

Inside the Extraordinary Experiment to Save the Stradivarius Sound
An entire town went quiet so the world's most iconic violin could be immortalized.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/inside-the-extraordinary-experiment-to-save-the-stradivarius-sound?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 16, 2022, 02:35:09 PM
I'm not necessarily a big fan of technology, but this seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

Inside the Extraordinary Experiment to Save the Stradivarius Sound
An entire town went quiet so the world's most iconic violin could be immortalized.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/inside-the-extraordinary-experiment-to-save-the-stradivarius-sound?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Very interesting article.  Thanks for posting that link.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Another interesting violin restoration article.

"Amnon Weinstein is an Israeli master violinmaker and founder of Violins of Hope. He has devoted the last 20 years to locating and restoring the violins of the Holocaust as a tribute to those who were lost, including 400 of his own relatives."

https://portlandsymphony.org/violins-of-hope-maine/

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on October 21, 2022, 04:30:21 AM
Another interesting violin restoration article.

"Amnon Weinstein is an Israeli master violinmaker and founder of Violins of Hope. He has devoted the last 20 years to locating and restoring the violins of the Holocaust as a tribute to those who were lost, including 400 of his own relatives."

https://portlandsymphony.org/violins-of-hope-maine/
Amazing work and story.  Thank you so much for sharing this article.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter