Author Topic: Bronzing of CD's.  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: Bronzing of CD's.
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2022, 02:46:00 AM »
My most recent bronzed CD that I received was George Lloyd's Symphonic Mass conducted by Lloyd. Didn't play or rip :( Does anyone know if Albany replace CDs?

You'll be fine if they are SACDs. Those only started to be made in 1998 or 1999.
Just checked mine.  They're CDs and in pristine shape.   :)

PD

Offline Harry

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2022, 03:11:23 AM »
I had several Albany discs that were bronzed, but never got any reply from them regarding replacements, despite several emails. And since they are out of print, I very much doubt that I will ever get them replaced.
Be kind, be friendly, but above all be human in a positive way.

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2022, 03:39:22 AM »
I had several Albany discs that were bronzed, but never got any reply from them regarding replacements, despite several emails. And since they are out of print, I very much doubt that I will ever get them replaced.
That's a shame.  Perhaps they might be able to replace them with a CD-Rom at least (or a free download?)...if you ever manage to get a reply back from them.  If not and also if you particularly love these discs, keep an eye out for a used copy.

PD

Offline hvbias

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2022, 03:15:48 AM »
Just checked mine.  They're CDs and in pristine shape.   :)

PD

What do you think of the performances PD? Someone put up a very favorable review of them on another music board. If I'm remembering right Hough takes tempos most similar to Rachmaninoff. I will have to revisit these to see which cadenzas he plays. I think my memory of them is they didn't make my regular go to versions.

I have them as regular CDs, fortunately not bronzed.

Edit: I went back to read the previous posts on this album, I will have to take back my post about SACDs not being prone to corrosion. Very strange that it would appear on a 2004 release. In my experience discs pressed at PDO UK were the source of the major issues and I thought it was only between a set time frame, ~1989-1996 give or take a couple of years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 03:20:12 AM by hvbias »
"I feel very strongly about Chopin — I just love him" - Fou Ts'ong

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2022, 03:50:52 AM »
Warning - a friend of mine just found a bronzed Hyperion CD released in the mid 2000s. Stephen Hough's Rachmaninov concertos. He found it today and just emailed the label.
Hyperion are the only company whose CD 'bronzed' for me (a Bantock release). They replaced it immediately. I guess that there may well be others in my collection.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2022, 04:01:39 AM »
What do you think of the performances PD? Someone put up a very favorable review of them on another music board. If I'm remembering right Hough takes tempos most similar to Rachmaninoff. I will have to revisit these to see which cadenzas he plays. I think my memory of them is they didn't make my regular go to versions.

I have them as regular CDs, fortunately not bronzed.

Edit: I went back to read the previous posts on this album, I will have to take back my post about SACDs not being prone to corrosion. Very strange that it would appear on a 2004 release. In my experience discs pressed at PDO UK were the source of the major issues and I thought it was only between a set time frame, ~1989-1996 give or take a couple of years.
It's been quite some time since I have listened to them, but I recall not being particularly wowed by them unfortunately.  :(  I should give them another shot.   Must admit, the thought of turning on tube equipment with the temps that we have been having is not particularly enticing--that, plus I just spent 2+ hours working in the garden and am cooling off.

In any event, let us know what you think of them.  :)

PD

Offline hvbias

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2022, 05:01:24 AM »
It's been quite some time since I have listened to them, but I recall not being particularly wowed by them unfortunately.  :(  I should give them another shot.   Must admit, the thought of turning on tube equipment with the temps that we have been having is not particularly enticing--that, plus I just spent 2+ hours working in the garden and am cooling off.

In any event, let us know what you think of them.  :)

PD

Ha! I feel like I can relate so much, I have to run the AC pretty hard to get two hours of listening in on the main stereo before it starts to warm up the room too much. My next venture will be paying more attention to DSP speakers and class D amps.

I am pretty certain I'd agree with your assessment on these Rachmaninoff performances. I believe of the five works Hough was best in Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini though for me it's still hard to top Reiner/Rubinstein.

edit: my favorite Hough disc is his one of all Mompou.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:05:51 AM by hvbias »
"I feel very strongly about Chopin — I just love him" - Fou Ts'ong

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2022, 08:06:22 AM »
Ha! I feel like I can relate so much, I have to run the AC pretty hard to get two hours of listening in on the main stereo before it starts to warm up the room too much. My next venture will be paying more attention to DSP speakers and class D amps.

I am pretty certain I'd agree with your assessment on these Rachmaninoff performances. I believe of the five works Hough was best in Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini though for me it's still hard to top Reiner/Rubinstein.

edit: my favorite Hough disc is his one of all Mompou.
Let me know how your audio adventures go.  :)  Must admit, I love the "extra" heat during the wintertime...and most importantly (of course), the sound of my system.  :D

I have a few albums with Hough:  his Spanish Album, Chopin - Late Masterpieces, and Piano Music by Federico Mompou, York Bowen Piano Music and that double Rachmaninov one.  Perhaps the Spanish one would be good for the incoming heatwave?

Rubinstein is always fun to listen to.   :)

PD