The impact of music streaming services

Started by Que, March 04, 2020, 12:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Holden on September 12, 2020, 11:45:00 PM
As far as Australia is concerned I have to disagree. You bought the music and therefore paid the royalty. You can store this any way that you want.

How is this inconsistent with that I said? This is the Australian law. Yes, you can store in another format.

What you can NOT do is then recoup the money that you paid while keeping that copy in another format. Otherwise, it's not a question of whether you paid the royalty, it's whether you and your 9 friends paid 10 royalties or just paid 1 and passed the original disc between yourselves so that you effectively got 10 people got 10 discs for the price of 1. The notion that because YOU paid the royalty, you can then act to deprive the copyright owner of getting more royalties from others is just wrong.

If you paid for one copy, then it's not okay for you to create a situation where multiple people now have copies. The permission is only to have multiple formats for yourself. If you sell the music, then you don't get to simultaneously keep the music. You cannot "store" and "get rid of" at the same time. The Copyright Act has quite explicit statements to the effect that the exception for making these sorts of copies stops applying if you sell or hire the original.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

Hello Madiel, I never said that I sold my CDs so I'm not sure what the issue is here? The point I'm making is that you can legally back up your CDs onto a HDD without any fear of penalty. If you can show me Australian legislation that says I can't then I will look at it.
Cheers

Holden

Madiel

Quote from: Holden on September 13, 2020, 11:37:08 PM
Hello Madiel, I never said that I sold my CDs so I'm not sure what the issue is here? The point I'm making is that you can legally back up your CDs onto a HDD without any fear of penalty. If you can show me Australian legislation that says I can't then I will look at it.

Sigh. Maybe if you actually read the context of my statement before leaping in as if I was talking about you????

You've literally jumped in to say that I'm wrong and then said exactly the same thing that I said. And now you're STILL not reading what I actually said.

For the third time: you're allowed to back up your CDs. I really have said that three times now. You're not allowed to then get rid of the CDs. For one thing that's not what a "back up" is.

It's section 109A of the Copyright Act. Or you could just read either of these:

http://www.musicrights.com.au/fact-sheets/formatshifting/

https://www.communications.gov.au/documents/short-guide-copyright
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Que

The advent of streaming services has been a major change, with an impact on listening and buying behaviour. I tend to spend much more of my time listen to new recordings, comparative listening and exploring unknown recordings and repertoire.

At first, I basically stopped buying altogether. Recordings on disc that is. I don't like computers: find it an excruciating hassle to make them do what you want and find them fundamentally unreliable. Also I need to hear music an a proper audio setup, so hooking up some speakers to a computer was never an option gor me and I never bothered with ripping my physical recordings. I know cases of people that invested a lot of time in ripping and cataloguing their recordings, only to run into technical difficulties later and ended up having wasted an incredible amount of their time and effort.

I do know that these days it is technically possible to play ripped or purchased audio files on your audio set up, but find streaming easy and hassle free. Also, I noticed that downloads can be pretty expensive! Often hardly any cheaper than on disc, if at all... ::)

Anyway, I've ended dividing my time between listening to recordings from my physical collection and streaming. Lately, less streaming than in the beginning. Exploring unknown repertoire and recording is exciting and provides the "thrill of the chase" and of discovering something new, but is essentially a process of hit & miss. Listening to a familiar recording you love, provides an entirely different experience and satisfaction.

The availability streaming changed my buying habits significantly. I have started buying physical recordings again, but in modest amounts and limited to recordings I think I will spend much time with. The rising availability of cheap used physical recordings has provided a new incentive to keep adding some valuable recordings to my physical collection.

Not having to buy recordings to try particular perfomances or explore new repertoire, makes a huge difference. Also I find that at times listening to certain music a few times streaming satisfies my curiosity and I move on to greener pastures. Perhaps I will return to a few of those one day, and it is good to know that I - probably - could if I wanted to.

Streaming has also impacted the way I look at my physical collection.  A lot of stuff I bought out of curiosity, completism or FOMO ("fear of missing out") now seems superfluous. And it is good to know that in many cases getting rid of a recording doesn't mean I would not be able to hear it ever again.

I'm often asked if I am not going to get rid of my physical collection, now "everything" is available streaming? No, if the internet is down I still need music to listen to! :D 

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Que on November 26, 2023, 12:47:19 AMThe advent of streaming services has been a major change, with an impact on listening and buying behaviour. I tend to spend much more of my time listen to new recordings, comparative listening and exploring unknown recordings and repertoire.

At first, I basically stopped buying altogether. Recordings on disc that is. I don't like computers: find it an excruciating hassle to make them do what you want and find them fundamentally unreliable. Also I need to hear music an a proper audio setup, so hooking up some speakers to a computer was never an option gor me and I never bothered with ripping my physical recordings. I know cases of people that invested a lot of time in ripping and cataloguing their recordings, only to run into technical difficulties later and ended up having wasted an incredible amount of their time and effort.

I do know that these days it is technically possible to play ripped or purchased audio files on your audio set up, but find streaming easy and hassle free. Also, I noticed that downloads can be pretty expensive! Often hardly any cheaper than on disc, if at all... ::)

Anyway, I've ended dividing my time between listening to recordings from my physical collection and streaming. Lately, less streaming than in the beginning. Exploring unknown repertoire and recording is exciting and provides the "thrill of the chase" and of discovering something new, but is essentially a process of hit & miss. Listening to a familiar recording you love, provides an entirely different experience and satisfaction.

The availability streaming changed my buying habits significantly. I have started buying physical recordings again, but in modest amounts and limited to recordings I think I will spend much time with. The rising availability of cheap used physical recordings has provided a new incentive to keep adding some valuable recordings to my physical collection.

Not having to buy recordings to try particular perfomances or explore new repertoire, makes a huge difference. Also I find that at times listening to certain music a few times streaming satisfies my curiosity and I move on to greener pastures. Perhaps I will return to a few of those one day, and it is good to know that I - probably - could if I wanted to.

Streaming has also impacted the way I look at my physical collection.  A lot of stuff I bought out of curiosity, completism or FOMO ("fear of missing out") now seems superfluous. And it is good to know that in many cases getting rid of a recording doesn't mean I would not be able to hear it ever again.

I'm often asked if I am not going to get rid of my physical collection, now "everything" is available streaming? No, if the internet is down I still need music to listen to! :D 

I did the opposite, connect a computer to my stereo setup, which is not much of an ordeal. It just involves connecting a DAC with an ADC input to an analog input of the amplifier. Eventually my life circumstances changed and having a traditional stereo is no longer an option. Nothing can be easier than connecting a high-quality headphone amp to a stereo (or using bluetooth headphones, for that matter). My other issue is that I have no space for the thousands of CDs I collected over the years, which now all reside on an external hard drive (with 4 backup drives).

Anyway, it works for me, but everyone has their own needs, circumstances and preferences.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Sounds like we've gone down parallel paths Que.

At first I abandoned cds for streaming.  But then I realized that I can't depend on streaming to keep my favorites and I should own them.  But I don't buy cds in the quantities that I used to and don't need to do anything remotely completist (excepting Haydn, Mozart and Bach of course).

I also don't care for digital downloads, but for a different reason.  I have them all in a thumbstick inserted into my streamer so it is easy to play them.  My problem is that I forget I even have them!  I don't forget my cds because they are right on the shelf.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2023, 06:52:06 AMI also don't care for digital downloads, but for a different reason.  I have them all in a thumbstick inserted into my streamer so it is easy to play them.  My problem is that I forget I even have them!

Will your player do a random shuffle?

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on November 26, 2023, 09:06:42 AMWill your player do a random shuffle?

Sorry no idea, I never listen to music that way.

steve ridgway

Maybe you could download the album covers to a folder which you could then look at to remind you what you have on the stick.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on November 26, 2023, 08:43:23 PMMaybe you could download the album covers to a folder which you could then look at to remind you what you have on the stick.
Good idea!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on November 26, 2023, 08:43:23 PMMaybe you could download the album covers to a folder which you could then look at to remind you what you have on the stick.

My app can allow me to browse my collection in cover view.  Maybe I should leave a note on my cd collection to remind me to check!! :laugh: