Author Topic: Robert Schumann Piano Music sets  (Read 373 times)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
Robert Schumann Piano Music sets
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »

The question at hand, Le Sage or Demus, for a complete set of Schumann Piano music recordings. I love my Kempff, my Pollini; I like my Perahia, my Uchida. But if I want to hear it all, which do I choose?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Robert Schumann Piano Music sets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
The question at hand, Le Sage or Demus, for a complete set of Schumann Piano music recordings. I love my Kempff, my Pollini; I like my Perahia, my Uchida. But if I want to hear it all, which do I choose?

With Le Sage you have better sound and not only the complete solo piano music but also the complete chamber music with piano. Looks like a no-brainer to me (Fwiw, I have them both).
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
I'd probably go with Ciocarlie, but I've only heard about a third of it and none of Demus.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies. Now I seem to remember a fairly lively discussion of Ciocarlie here some time ago.

Offline j winter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
The postman literally just delivered the Demus box yesterday, so I have no comment as of yet.  I chose it after greatly enjoying his Bach WTC... similar to you, I have partial Schumann sets from Kempff and Ashkenazy, and lots of superb single discs from Rubinstein, Richter, Arrau, etc..  But I like the idea of having everything by one pianist as a reference, and the price for Demus was certainly right....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »
I don't have Le Sage or Ciocarlie. I have Demus and the Brilliant multi pianist box. Demus is very good. The Brilliant set is fairly good, but not worth the price Amazon MP thinks it's worth. [$898!  And $75 for the set with a different cover.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
The Claves multi-pianist set featuring Cédric Pescia, Finghin Collins and a few other people is also definitely a contender in terms of quality, but not necessarily price (and also not complete yet I don't think).

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to give Le Sage a try, taking into account comments on performance quality, recording quality, convenience, price, etc. The bottom line is that I am not seeking to find revelatory recordings of pieces I already love, but to satisfy my curiosity about the pieces that rarely get recorded or performed. What is missing from them? I have come to hold Schumann in high enough regard that I want to know.