Max von Sydow RIP

Started by vandermolen, March 09, 2020, 04:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I loved him, he also added a sense of gravitas in his roles not just with his imposing presence but his subtly too. RIP.  I saw him at the world premiere of Star Wars a few years ago which was a very joyful experience to see all of the cast of the movie.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Yes, a great actor. I mainly associate him with Bergman, but I will never forget this bit, from Woody Allen's Hannah and her Sisters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86FU8h-d6Y
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 09, 2020, 06:50:09 AM
Yes, a great actor. I mainly associate him with Bergman, but I will never forget this bit, from Woody Allen's Hannah and her Sisters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86FU8h-d6Y

Aye an astonishing filmography!  From Bergman and Woody Allen, and Minority Report, to Flash Gordon and Strange Brew!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Thanks for the interesting comments. I've been out but just switched on the TV to watch a programme about Max von Sydow on Sky Arts, obviously a tribute. It encouraged me to watch more of his Bergman films beyond The Seventh Seal plus some of his Hollywood output. I thought that 'The Magician' looked to be of exceptional interest.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on March 09, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
Thanks for the interesting comments. I've been out but just switched on the TV to watch a programme about Max von Sydow on Sky Arts, obviously a tribute. It encouraged me to watch more of his Bergman films beyond The Seventh Seal plus some of his Hollywood output. I thought that 'The Magician' looked to be of exceptional interest.

It is indeed exceptional. Also not to be missed: Hour of the Wolf and The Virgin Spring.

SimonNZ

I'd forgotten Hour Of The Wolf. That's a deeply strange film, even by Bergman's standards.  He's also one of the leads in Through A Glass Darkly and a supporting role in Winter Light, both of which aren't to be missed. Looking at his work with Bergman now I note that I've still not seen The Passion Of Anna or The Touch.

extra non-Bergman Sydow shoutouts to Three Days Of The Condor, Deathwatch and The Wolf At The Door.

San Antone

Loved him in Hannah and Her Sisters.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 09, 2020, 03:17:05 PM
It is indeed exceptional. Also not to be missed: Hour of the Wolf and The Virgin Spring.
Thanks my friend  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: San Antone on March 09, 2020, 04:03:27 PM
Must watch this one as well.

Thanks to all for recommendations and comments.

Marc

Quote from: San Antone on March 09, 2020, 04:03:27 PM

Despite his fame because of The Exorcist and playing chess with mr. Death, this was my first thought, too.

May he rest in peace.

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on March 10, 2020, 12:19:08 AM
Despite his fame because of The Exorcist and playing chess with mr. Death, this was my first thought, too.

May he rest in peace.

I like your 'playing chess with Mr Death' comment.
:)

SimonNZ

It might seem less important, but I really loved his prologue narration in Lars Von Trier's Zentropa (aka Europa):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlm3fS0VNs

(hope that link works - I can't tell at work)

vandermolen

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 11, 2020, 01:37:12 PM
It might seem less important, but I really loved his prologue narration in Lars Von Trier's Zentropa (aka Europa):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlm3fS0VNs

(hope that link works - I can't tell at work)

It's terrific! He had such a distinctive voice. Never heard of the film.
Thanks for posting it.

SimonNZ

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2020, 01:45:32 PM
It's terrific! He had such a distinctive voice. Never heard of the film.
Thanks for posting it.

I'm not a Lars Von Trier fan - far from it, in fact - but that film is very good. And does some really interesting things with back-projection all the way through it.

vandermolen

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 11, 2020, 02:36:00 PM
I'm not a Lars Von Trier fan - far from it, in fact - but that film is very good. And does some really interesting things with back-projection all the way through it.
Thanks - must try to track it down.

vandermolen

Watching 'The Seventh Seal' with its theme of the Knight returning to a plague-ridden Europe and searching for the meaning of things might be appropriate, if depressing viewing at the moment, and yet I've always found it strangely uplifting: