The Bernie Zombie Thread

Started by Karl Henning, March 11, 2020, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Bernie Sanders to stay in Democratic race against Joe Biden despite primary losses

Quote"Today I say to the Democratic establishment: in order to win in the future, you need to win the voters that represent the future of our country," Sanders said. "You cannot simply be satisfied by winning the votes of people who are older."

Sure, but as we know from the Senator's primary performance, the younger voters don't matter, unless they get off their duffs, and head to the polls.

QuoteHe opened by denouncing Trump and emphasizing the need to defeat him in November.

Sanders called the president a "pathological liar" who is running a "corrupt administration."

"In my view, he is a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, and religious bigot, and he must be defeated, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen," Sanders said.

Everything in his power, short of conceding to Biden just yet, that is  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Sanders vows to carry on as Biden grows delegate lead

The race is not over, and Biden is still only about halfway to the 1,991 delegates a candidate needs to win the nomination. But the proportional allocation of delegates makes it difficult to overcome the kind of deficit Sanders faces.

In addition, polls show Sanders trailing by huge margins in Florida and Arizona, which will vote on Tuesday. And Biden is looking at a big victory in Georgia on March 17, where he's expected to continue his run of strong showings in the South, where black voters have turned out in huge numbers for his campaign.

Pressure is mounting on Sanders to either drop out or to rein in his attacks on Biden, who most expect will be the nominee against President Trump in November.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Funny how nobody asked Biden to drop out when he did poorly in the early States, but now Bernie has to drop out? You can't ignore the left like that. Bernie is not Michael Bennett. For a while he was the front-runner until Obama/DNC/establishment panicked for good and pulled their trick against Bernie just before Super Tuesday. If Bernie is struggling it's because the establishment has done everything to make him struggle.

Let's see if the Sunday debate changes anything. This election cycle has been about quick shifts in momentum. Bernie is determined to make the case he is the more electable of the two. People say they agree with Bernie's agenda, but vote for Biden because they believe Biden is more electable, but that is a narrative created in the corporate media. Biden has been "hiding" and people don't know the man. They have a rosy picture of him, the VP of Obama, but who is Biden? What are his policies?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on March 11, 2020, 01:22:43 PM
Funny how nobody asked Biden to drop out when he did poorly in the early States

Can always count on you to say something ridiculous.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2020, 02:02:51 PM
Can always count on you to say something ridiculous.

What I said isn't ridiculous at all. Buttigieg and Bernie looked much more electable than Biden, didn't they?

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on March 11, 2020, 02:13:47 PM
What I said isn't ridiculous at all. Buttigieg and Bernie looked much more electable than Biden, didn't they?

It was completely ridiculous: The race had only begun, and at the end of the Nevada caucuses, only a minuscule percentage of delegates had been allocated. Yes, the Biden campaign needed to take stock, and turn things around; and, guess what, they did.

So, yes, whingeing about how no one called him to quit is ridiculous.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Bernie has no realistic path to the nomination, hence a zombie. The only question is, when and with what degree of grace, he concedes to, and endorses Biden.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ratliff

I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread. I see no reason why Sanders should withdraw at this point. Even if he does not prevail and get the nomination, a large number of votes for progressive candidates will force the party to take progressives seriously in selecting a vice presidential nominee, defining the party platform, defining policy goals for the upcoming congress. And an important goal for the party is to make sure a Sanders defeat has legitimacy - not a fix - to prevent Sanders supporters from defecting in the general election. Both Sanders and the party have a role in making that happen. The party must not seem to have thrown him under the bus, and Sanders must give clear support the the eventual nominee.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2020, 04:01:16 PM
I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread. I see no reason why Sanders should withdraw at this point. Even if he does not prevail and get the nomination, a large number of votes for progressive candidates will force the party to take progressives seriously in selecting a vice presidential nominee, defining the party platform, defining policy goals for the upcoming congress. And an important goal for the party is to make sure a Sanders defeat has legitimacy - not a fix - to prevent Sanders supporters from defecting in the general election. Both Sanders and the party have a role in making that happen. The party must not seem to have thrown him under the bus, and Sanders must give clear support the the eventual nominee.

Excellent considerations.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2020, 02:30:37 PM
It was completely ridiculous: The race had only begun, and at the end of the Nevada caucuses, only a minuscule percentage of delegates had been allocated. Yes, the Biden campaign needed to take stock, and turn things around; and, guess what, they did.

So, yes, whingeing about how no one called him to quit is ridiculous.

Half of the delegates are to be allocated at this point so it's not over either.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2020, 02:34:04 PM
Bernie has no realistic path to the nomination, hence a zombie. The only question is, when and with what degree of grace, he concedes to, and endorses Biden.

Well, I admit that it requires drastic changes to the race, but then again Biden has no realistic path to the presidency. So, if you want President Biden you are going to be disappointed like me. My disappointment just comes sooner than yours.

71 dB

What you write makes a lot of sense, but the corporate wing of the Democrats have done nothing but shown the middle finger to the progressives so I fear at least part of the left will be alienated from the political process as it is. From the progressive point of view the US seems to have only one party: The corporate party and it's against medicare for all and so on. Half of it (the crazier half) just calls itself the Republicans and the other half is the Democrats. There are talks about how to from the third party successfully, because this isn't working for the progressives.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XPxNm-olqx8

Florestan

I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread.

I don't know what Karl intended but the net result will be more room for Poju to vent his frustrations --- and that's the last thing we (and he) needed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2020, 12:47:02 AM
I don't know what Karl intended but the net result will be more room for Poju to vent his frustrations --- and that's the last thing we (and he) needed.

Why do I feel this forum is nowadays more about me than anything else? I am entitled to my political views. That said, Karl didn't do a smart move here if he intended to have less of me around here... ...if there are zombies in this race it's Biden. He is the one suffering from cognitive decline.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 12, 2020, 04:35:44 AM
How Bernie Sanders Lost the White Working Class

"I may not have the votes to show it, but I have 'Victory'"

Sanders Will Remain in Race, Declares Victory in 'Ideological Debate' But Admits He's Losing 'Debate over Electability'

One of the most delusional candidates I've seen in recent years. His presidential race has turned into not a 'who's who' but a 'who cares'. He really needs to go home. He's looking even more pathetic than he did the last election.

drogulus

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2020, 06:26:09 AM
One of the most delusional candidates I've seen in recent years. His presidential race has turned into not a 'who's who' but a 'who cares'. He really needs to go home. He's looking even more pathetic than he did the last election.

I disagree. Another candidate with less at stake in the way of policy direction can drop out any time. Sanders is right that he needs to represent his constituency all the way to the convention.

He may or may not be delusional about winning the nomination. His actions are consistent with either interpretation. I think he knows what he's doing, so even though he isn't the smartest guy in the room he's definitely smart enough to know how the game is played and the real stakes involved.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Marc

Quote from: drogulus on March 12, 2020, 07:39:43 AM

I disagree. Another candidate with less at stake in the way of policy direction can drop out any time. Sanders is right that he needs to represent his constituency all the way to the convention.

He may or may not be delusional about winning the nomination. His actions are consistent with either interpretation. I think he knows what he's doing, so even though he isn't the smartest guy in the room he's definitely smart enough to know how the game is played and the real stakes involved.

Agreed.

Who could, about a dozen years ago, have thought that someone with the ideas of Sanders, might be able to bring enthousiasm in the more than respectable amounts that he has been doing? Both back in 2016 and now?
And what if Liz Warren, when she retired from the race, immediately had decided to endorse Sanders, the only other progressive candidate?

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on March 12, 2020, 08:59:32 AMwhat if Liz Warren, when she retired from the race, immediately had decided to endorse Sanders, the only other progressive candidate?

What if Kerensky had hanged Lenin (which he could have done)? What if Hitler had never came to power (in Imperial Germany such an occurrence as a proletarian corporal becoming chancellor would have been unthinkable)? What if we could eat the cake and have it for a lifetime?

Contrafactual history is a pleasant pastime, ain't it?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2020, 01:02:26 PM
What if Kerensky had hanged Lenin (which he could have done)? What if Hitler had never came to power (in Imperial Germany such an occurrence as a proletarian corporal becoming chancellor would have been unthinkable)? What if we could eat the cake and have it for a lifetime?

Contrafactual history is a pleasant pastime, ain't it?

I don't really understand this post. I do not consider the USA elections of 2020 as history yet.

I was disappointed in Warren that she didn't have the guts to support Sanders, I admit that. I always think it's kind of a missed opportunity when 2 or more parties who share a lot of opinions and ideas, refuse to work or join together to make a stronger point for their shared convictions. I fear that it's just her pride that failed her in this particular case, or maybe she was only thinking about her own future career in the Dem party. But who am I to know?