Do ya listen in the depth to all you're purchases?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, March 08, 2020, 08:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

If you're like me, you probably have lot's of records In CD AND LP and digital, here the problem whit digital beside the sound, I use to be wealthier financially speaking, would bought gazillions albums, some albums had many listen while other sometime I rediscover, jeez... had this or that...

I've lost count to my recordings collection, we could easily say, I reach a point of saturation were have too many albums to explore so, will chill out a bit stop spending my cash on albums for a while, perhaps I got pearls of albums that did not fully explore whit multiple listen, so not don't spurting my name fully Deprofundis until I do, that is in the depth for ya.

This is crazy, got almost too many albums, but is there such a thing as having too many albums... perhaps , perhaps not.

I've got all that had wanted explore the depth of Gregorians, various chants music (same era), than ars: Vetus, Nova, subtilior to early to late renaissance, from late renaissance to baroque, have some baroque.This is the period I lack a bit in knowledge beside J.s Bach and Sylvius Leopold Wiess, Jean Pancrace Royer.

That not all the classical period after the baroque, lack even more beside: Mozart| Haydn and a couple of composers, the Romantic period  to be frankly Honest few name, I venture Wagner, Zemlinsky, Glière

Than Vienna school two (Schoenberg , Berg and Webern) I'm knowledge enough, Russian & Italian Futurists, have's moderns composers a plenty and super modernists (spectralists composers).

So guess to this point classical as almost no secret beside ''some composers, will explore on days, notorious or not.

Know my classical 80% no one know his classical 100% unless breast feed whit classical since birth, ya get the point.

So I might venture in Blues and Jazz a bit more in future since ,  have too much classical, outside classical: Jazz, Blues, electronica, rock, you name it I have what  wanted.

So it's time for me to relax a bit and listen to what, all ready have, since I reach a point of saturation musically speaking, it's not that have no more interest, won't buy a single record in the future it's just now I'm counting, almost lost count of what I have , this is insane...

So what do you think, have reach the point where you proclaimed I have all I won't and like now...

???

What you're cue on this?
Am I insane or an ardent music lover?

steve ridgway

I have reached that point. Yesterday I finished loading my music player with my ten favourite non-classical artists, just bought a couple more Nico albums to get a reasonable number. I've already got my ten favourite classical composers on there plus a load of Pierre Henry's musique concrete. I know classical less than 1% but don't care, I'm very pleased with the ones I've found.

Irons

You make a valid point, deprofudis. I have thought for some time that too much music an affliction. I don't think digital is to blame though, but more mindset. My guess is that if 99% contributors to this forum did not obtain another recording they would still own enough music to last the rest of their lives. Going a step further and more controversial, has enough recordings of classical music already been made, is there a point for more?  The only problem with this scenario is that without feeding the monster for some of us the interest could slowly wane. So although not necessarily a good thing - I have well enough to see me out - I buy as many, if not more, LPs and Cds as I ever did and enjoy doing so although deep down know I shouldn't.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

71 dB

A few years ago my attitude changed. Instead of "hoarding" classical CDs I realized my problem is having time to listen to everything I have. How many oratorios by Handel does one need? Three? I have more than that, but still I haven't listened to Handel's oratorios in years! That's why I buy scarsely music these days and instead listen to my existing collection to listen in the depth to them. I have about 550 Naxos CDs and that's maybe 40 % of my classical music collection. My classical music collection is about 2/3 of my CD-collection. I have about 2000 CDs worth of music. Listening to all of them in depth is a real challenge!  ;D

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

amw

No. I try to, but currently am still at around 24,000 tracks I have yet to listen to (about 16.8% of the total) at least on the current iteration of my iTunes library (which has been around since 2012).

I can even see what the oldest as-yet-unplayed tracks are, which date from April 17, 2015: some Saint-Saëns piano music (Six Fugues, Op. 161, the Rhapsodie d'Auvergne, and the Caprice on Gluck's Alceste); Peter Maxwell Davies's Black Pentecost; some of the fillers on a Koch album of Ives's Orchestral Set No. 2; Dietrich Buxtehude's Suite in G minor, BuxWV 242; Elena Mendoza's Contra-diccion for two violas. Maybe I'll listen to some of them now that my attention has been drawn.

Mirror Image

No and, honestly, I doubt I ever will and I'm completely fine with that. It's not a race to the finish line. I'm just enjoying the journey.

some guy

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2020, 07:23:36 AM
No and, honestly, I doubt I ever will and I'm completely fine with that. It's not a race to the finish line. I'm just enjoying the journey.
+1

j winter

Agreed.  I've bought 19 discs worth of Schumann in the past week (Demus & Perahia boxes), and just sent out a post asking for recommendations, so yeah... that would be a no...  :laugh:

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vers la flamme

I try to, even if it takes months after the original purchase date to really get into something.

Marc

Yeah.

It's like life.

Biffo

I listen to everything once - though I have a backlog  that doesn't seem to get any smaller. This weeds out the stuff I am not likely to listen to again. The rest I return to as I feel the urge.

If I had any will-power I would dispose of the discards but I can rarely bring myself to do it.

ChopinBroccoli

I never buy anything until I've listened first

If I don't like, I don't buy
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel