Greatest Living Symphonists

Started by calyptorhynchus, March 12, 2020, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Off the top of my head I think the greatest living symphonists (in no order) are:

David Matthews
Peteris Vasks
John Pickard

What do other people think?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

John Kinsella
Peteris Vasks
Ragnar Soderlind
I rate Kevin Puts's Symphony No.2 very highly.
Yoshimatsu
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Definitely Kinsella and Vasks must be on my list too. These too: Takashi Yoshimatsu, Kalevi Aho, Erkki-Sven Tüür and Seppo Pohjola. I might add Penderecki, but I don't think highly of all his symphonies.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 12, 2020, 02:29:14 PM
Definitely Kinsella and Vasks must be on my list too. These too: Takashi Yoshimatsu, Kalevi Aho, Erkki-Sven Tüür and Seppo Pohjola. I might add Penderecki, but I don't think highly of all his symphonies.
Added Yoshimatsu to my list. Thanks for reminding me of him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on March 12, 2020, 02:13:32 PM
John Kinsella
Peteris Vasks
Ragnar Soderlind
I rate Kevin Puts's Symphony No.2 very highly.
Yoshimatsu

It's Ragnar Søderlind god dammit!  Søderlind!!!!! 

relm1

For me, I would choose:

Ragnar Soderlind
Kjell Mork Karlsen (I've loved every one of his symphonies I've heard and they are epic)
Kevin Puts
John Kinsella
Kalevi Aho
Mine

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on March 12, 2020, 04:31:13 PM
For me, I would choose:

Ragnar Soderlind
Kjell Mork Karlsen (I've loved every one of his symphonies I've heard and they are epic)
Kevin Puts
John Kinsella
Kalevi Aho
Mine

I was just so impressed with Soderlind's 8th Symphony.

We need to hear more of 'Mine'. I like what I have heard very much.
:)

Maestro267

I'll add Penderecki to the mix, along with Sir James MacMillan.