Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2698821 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30780 on: January 16, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »

Great fun!

For me, cinematic comfort food: Stardust Memories.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30781 on: January 17, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
Francis Ford Coppola's commentary upon The Godfather

(* typo *)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:28:26 AM by k a rl h e nn i ng »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30782 on: January 18, 2021, 09:07:06 AM »
Last Hunt, The (1956) w/ Stewart Granger, Robert Taylor, Lloyd Nolan, Debra Paget, & Russ Tamblyn - new BD acquisition and a film not seen in likely 40+ years!  Filmed mainly in South Dakota in the Badlands National Park & Custer State Park w/ beautiful landscapes; excellent AV restoration so worth a watch just for the scenery.  According to the Wiki quote below, buffalo were actually killed, as explained.  Also watching the film coincided w/ an order of buffalo filet mignon & elk tenderloin being shipped from Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co., a healthy alternate to beef.  8)

First Blood (1982) w/ Sylvester Stallone, Brian Dennehy, and Richard Crenna.  Now I already own this film (the only Rambo movie that I like) on an older BD but for the holidays we treated ourselves to a new 49" Sony 4K HDTV, so decided just to make an inexpensive purchase of Amazon's 4K version which looked beautiful on the new TV and a definite improvement over my rather darkish & drab BD - may make some other 4K digital streaming buys - don't own a 4K BD player (yet) and certainly do not plan to replace my 500+ BDs any time soon at my age!  Dave :)

Sandy McKenzie (Stewart Granger) sets out on his last hunt with his new partner, the obsessive Charles Gilson (Robert Taylor). While McKenzie has grown tired of buffalo hunting, Gilson derives a pleasure from his "stands" – killing an entire herd of buffalo at one time. When Gilson chases down and kills an Indian raiding party, he takes an Indian woman and her child captive. The presence of the native woman causes tension and Gilson becomes increasingly paranoid and deranged, leading to a stand-off between the two former partners.  Eighty percent of the movie was shot on location at the Badlands National Park and Custer State Park in South Dakota during the then-annual "thinning" of the buffalo herd. Actual footage of buffalo being shot and killed (by government marksmen) was used for the film. Harvey Lancaster of Custer was the main marksman for the filming. (edited - Source)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:29:42 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #30783 on: January 18, 2021, 11:00:09 AM »
don't own a 4K BD player (yet) and certainly do not plan to replace my 500+ BDs any time soon at my age!  Dave :)

You can buy a used Oppo 203 for as little as $1000.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30784 on: January 18, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
     You can buy a used Oppo 203 for as little as $1000.

LOL -  :laugh:  Might as well buy a new one! But, not planning to purchase 4K discs - if I changed my mind, my spending budget would be much more modest - from Crutchfield again, I was 'eyeing' the model shown below - have $55 credit there so for $150, I could consider a purchase - would be nice to have just a handful of physical 4K media to show off the new TV?   ::)  8)  Dave

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #30785 on: January 18, 2021, 02:04:04 PM »
LOL -  :laugh:  Might as well buy a new one! But, not planning to purchase 4K discs - if I changed my mind, my spending budget would be much more modest - from Crutchfield again, I was 'eyeing' the model shown below - have $55 credit there so for $150, I could consider a purchase - would be nice to have just a handful of physical 4K media to show off the new TV?   ::)  8)  Dave

Oppo discontinued the player in 2017. That's why it's so expensive. The Sony would be a good choice, as it's on all the "best 4k player that's not an Oppo" lists.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #30786 on: January 19, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
Last night, The Godfather

Tonight, Francis Ford Coppola's commentary upon The Godfather, Part II
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline DavidW

« Reply #30787 on: Today at 07:27:10 AM »
I own the Oppo 203, I had to have it serviced twice in a matter of months.  My older 103 never had any problems at all, and I still have it.

I replaced the 203 with a Panasonic player which is excellent.  It has the ability to detect edges and apply anti-aliasing which makes upscaled dvds look very crisp.  Better than I thought was possible.

Anyway I watched Promising Young Woman which was a great movie with a brutal ending.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30788 on: Today at 08:12:55 AM »

Well guys - went ahead and ordered the Sony 4K player above - features, reviews, & price fit my 'comfort zone' - also bought the cable inserted above - my older HDMI cable likely did not meet the standards of the new BD player nor my new Sony 4K HDTV - Dave :)

Offline DavidW

« Reply #30789 on: Today at 11:16:15 AM »
Well guys - went ahead and ordered the Sony 4K player above - features, reviews, & price fit my 'comfort zone' - also bought the cable inserted above - my older HDMI cable likely did not meet the standards of the new BD player nor my new Sony 4K HDTV - Dave :)

Enjoy Dave!  And don't forget to pick up some 4k discs to watch. :)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30790 on: Today at 11:27:20 AM »
Enjoy Dave!  And don't forget to pick up some 4k discs to watch. :)

Hi David - as starters, last night ordered the two below which got great reviews HERE - not planning to replace my current DVD/BD collection but will be nice to have a dozen or so around -  :laugh:  Dave

Offline DavidW

« Reply #30791 on: Today at 04:00:12 PM »
Old movies generally look great on the format because good quality 35 mm offers very high resolution, and a wide color gamut that 4k hdr can take advantage of.  It is usually the newer movies that use 2k digital intermediates and fake hdr grading that are iffy.  My rule of thumb is that if it is an older movie JUST BUY IT.  It will look better for sure.  If it is a newer movie, that is what I jump to reviews for.

But don't expect to be blown away, it is a subtle upgrade.  I have a 75 inch tv and I'm perfectly fine with hd.  This is just not like the upgrade from dvd to hd, or from vhs to dvd before that.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #30792 on: Today at 04:17:30 PM »
Interesting, gents.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #30793 on: Today at 04:40:20 PM »
Couple of nights ago.

Funny, very sarcastic, also quite touching. A very good balance.
Olivier