The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (3/1387) > >>

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on March 13, 2020, 01:22:33 AM ---What I can't find anywhere is any details of the model that the British government is using, so that I can understand their response. Surely this must be in the public domain.

I haven't checked, but ditto for the (opposed?) model that the French government is using.

Que -- is there a united EC approach to this, a set of policies which give guidelines to all EU countries about (for example) when to close schools, restrict travel etc? Or is each country using a different model and following different objectives?

--- End quote ---
Interesting. I'm not sure what, if any, model they are following. I think they are just going by the advice of the Govt's Chief Medical Officer. The News today say that the majority of the people need to get the virus in order to build up 'herd immunity' otherwise it will keep coming back every year. Not a nice thought though.

Jo498:
A federal state like Germany has trouble getting 16 states and the federal goverment to take the same or similar measures, so I am pretty sure the EU will not be able to streamline measures and reactions.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2020, 01:27:47 AM ---Interesting. I'm not sure what, if any, model they are following. I think they are just going by the advice of the Govt's Chief Medical Officer. The News today say that the majority of the people need to get the virus in order to build up 'herd immunity' otherwise it will keep coming back every year. Not a nice thought though.

--- End quote ---

Sure, but what I want to see is the thinking, the details of the thinking, which has led to the Govt's Chief Medical Officer's advice. Which may or may not be consistent with the details of the thinking which lead to the French Government's health minister's advice . . . The devil's in the detail.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: Jo498 on March 13, 2020, 01:32:49 AM ---A federal state like Germany has trouble getting 16 states and the federal goverment to take the same or similar measures, so I am pretty sure the EU will not be able to streamline measures and reactions.

--- End quote ---

That's extraordinary in a situation like this. Very bad.

Presumably everyone will agree on objectives (minimise deaths . . .) and the biology remains the same wherever you are, though clearly the health infrastructure, demographics, geography etc doesn't.

Mandryka:
Here's something with a bit of detail about the model

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51858987

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version