The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (5/1482) > >>

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: 71 dB on March 13, 2020, 03:11:40 AM ---To my understanding the cause of this outbreak was inadequate hygieny regulations regarding live animal markets in China. Different animals are kept above each other in cages so that the animals below other animals are exposed to the feaces and viruses are transmitted. If China doesn't fix this, the World can expect a new pandemic every 10 years or so...  :-X

--- End quote ---

That's just what I understand and believe. I would just expand it a bit and say "wild caught animals", not livestock. Wild animals are a major cuisine item in China. According to a news item I saw recently, the Peoples' Congress (which I disremember the actual name of) banned the capture and sale of all wild animals. This is so anti-cultural that even in a closely regulated society like theirs, I can hardly imagine it being enforceable. It will just open up yet another black market opportunity. Still, the intent is good.

Maybe a bit less than 10 years?  SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, This shit: all within the last 10 years, IIRC. :-\

8)

ritter:
Spain’s Prime Minister will make an institutional announcement soon (it was scheduled for 2:30 pm, but is now delayed). He’s expected to declare the (constitutionally envisaged) “state of alarm” in the whole country. This “state of alarm” is one step short of a “state of exception “, but permits certain rights to be curtailed (e.g., restriction of movement, closure of borders, requisition of private property and intervention of factories, etc.).

At a local level, the Madrid City Hall has ordered the closure of all restaurants, bars and gyms (theatres, museums, libraries et al. were closed earlier this week).

Some towns in the province of Barcelona (around Igualada) are cordoned off, with no one allowed in or out, and residents asked to stay at home as much as possible.

Rinaldo:
Trump administration blocks states from using Medicaid to respond to coronavirus crisis

Yay.

drogulus:

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: drogulus on March 13, 2020, 07:34:09 AM ---     

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't THAT be cool? :)

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version