Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2020, 04:03:37 PM
what do you mean by a care home?

I thought this was an official term being used by several English posters here, meaning a home for elderly people who can't live in their own homes any longer, because they need rather much care from others- - nursing home if you want.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

My sister has been sending me all this conspiracy theory stuff about coronavirus. Dr Judy Mikovits is a crackpot who apparently has a video called "plandemic" that got a million hits.
Yikes.

vandermolen

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 17, 2020, 02:42:43 AM
I thought this was an official term being used by several English posters here, meaning a home for elderly people who can't live in their own homes any longer, because they need rather much care from others- - nursing home if you want.
Yes, that is correct (at least in UK).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on June 16, 2020, 05:03:11 PM
It looks like it's going to get really ugly in some (red) States, unfortunately.  :-\

It's getting most ugly in these states:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on June 17, 2020, 03:35:54 AM
Yes, that is correct (at least in UK).

Thank you for the verification.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 17, 2020, 02:42:43 AM
Thanks!  I just wanted to make sure that I understood you.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Dame Vera Lynn has passed away at 103. Her war-time hit "We'll Meet Again" was dusted off and played on the airwaves during the corona lock-down and gave comfort to many people particularly suffering from the feeling of isolation.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2020, 01:07:29 AM
Dame Vera Lynn has passed away at 103. Her war-time hit "We'll Meet Again" was dusted off and played on the airwaves during the corona lock-down and gave comfort to many people particularly suffering from the feeling of isolation.
Sad news indeed - but what a great life.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2020, 01:08:55 AM
Sad news indeed - but what a great life.

Yes indeed, Jeffrey. It must have given her great satisfaction at the end of her life.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Ah, that's a good excuse to drink a Vera and Philharmonic tonight

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2020, 01:07:29 AM
Very sorry to hear that; I imagine that her career and recordings mattered to many.  I heard the news on the radio today.  So sorry for your loss.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 18, 2020, 03:14:39 PM
Very sorry to hear that; I imagine that her career and recordings mattered to many.  I heard the news on the radio today.  So sorry for your loss.

Best wishes,

PD

There were some lovely tributes to her on the TV New last night and, of course, the Queen referenced 'We'll meet again' in her recent TV broadcast to the nation. She lived quite locally in Sussex and sounded like a most unaffected and genuine person, always helping out with local community events, charities (including her own charity) etc.

BasilValentine

New cases in the US are not falling. Today Texas, Florida, and Arizona each had more than 3,000 new cases. The country as a whole will reach a daily total of over 30,000 new cases for the first time since early May. I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to be working.

Karl Henning

Quote from: BasilValentine on June 19, 2020, 02:23:22 PM
New cases in the US are not falling. Today Texas, Florida, and Arizona each had more than 3,000 new cases. The country as a whole will reach a daily total of over 30,000 new cases for the first time since early May. I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to be working.

No, but it may be impossible to do better, given the present administration and its toxic influence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

On today's TV newscast the journalist said flurries of new cases in the US had been observed all along I-95, IOW where vacationers stop to fuel, eat, sleep and shop.

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on June 19, 2020, 03:57:37 PM
On today's TV newscast the journalist said flurries of new cases in the US had been observed all along I-95, IOW where vacationers stop to fuel, eat, sleep and shop.

People are getting careless, imagining we're done. Junk information from the highest elected officials ain't helping.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: André on June 19, 2020, 03:57:37 PM

Much more likely to be truckers and business people avoiding airplanes than vacationers.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on June 19, 2020, 06:08:29 PM
Much more likely to be truckers and business people avoiding airplanes than vacationers.

More likely antifa and BLM truckers are the cause.

The rise in cases might be attributed to protests to a very small extent. If they were a major factor we'd know by now, and it's possible we'll soon have evidence that alters the prevailing judgment about outdoor spread. Where the protests occur and where the cases are rising rapidly don't match up so far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 20, 2020, 06:33:15 AM

So if she ended up in a respirator this is her own choice. Wonder if she has given this problem sufficient attention.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν