Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

GioCar

Here they are starting to talk about a new lockdown, even though they are desperately trying to avoid it.

Unfortunately I don't believe there are other really effective means (in democracy and freedom) to stop the virus spreading, at least for the time being, once a certain threshold of infected people has been overcome.

Mandryka

Quote from: GioCar on October 18, 2020, 12:23:55 AM
Here they are starting to talk about a new lockdown, even though they are desperately trying to avoid it.

Unfortunately I don't believe there are other really effective means (in democracy and freedom) to stop the virus spreading, at least for the time being, once a certain threshold of infected people has been overcome.

IMO the issue is not solely the impact of the lockdown - that's at least something you can predict and plan for. It's how to come safely out of lockdown that's the problem, come out without people losing discipline and causing a third wave and the need for a third lockdown and so on. No one knows how to achieve that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2020, 12:30:23 AM
IMO the issue is not solely the impact of the lockdown - that's at least something you can predict and plan for. It's how to come safely out of lockdown that's the problem, come out without people losing discipline and causing a third wave and the need for a third lockdown and so on. No one knows how to achieve that.

In a large population it can't be done.

The only thing that helps is great leadership but even then chances are some people won't do it.

For lack of a better word, our societies have become decadent.

A vaccine is the only solution.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on October 18, 2020, 02:15:32 AM
In a large population it can't be done.

The only thing that helps is great leadership but even then chances are some people won't do it.

For lack of a better word, our societies have become decadent.

A vaccine is the only solution.

I think the problem isn't decadence, it's that people can't follow rules because they can't afford to or because they don't understand them or they're not convinced they're reasonable or because they are just too difficult. 

Herman

A lot of people reject the rules because they want to "expres themselves".

premont

Etiam dii contra stultitiam frustra luctantur.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

T. D.

Reported by Bloomberg News:

Gottlieb Says U.S. Strategy is Just to Wait for Vaccine (2:32 p.m. NY)

Scott Gottlieb said the Trump administration's current coronavirus strategy "is just to endure the spread until we get a vaccine."

The former FDA commissioner spoke on CBS on Sunday as total U.S. Covid cases have surpassed 8 million and many states are seeing a rising rate of infection, including more severe cases.

"There's 42 states where hospitalizations are rising. There's 45 states where the rate of transfer, the Rt is above one, meaning they have expanding epidemics," Gottlieb said.

Gottlieb said it could be February or March before the first tranche of people receive a vaccine and are actually protected from the virus. He's on the board of Pfizer, one of the companies racing to develop a vaccine and submit it to the FDA for emergency approval.

Karl Henning

All them what have an appetite for Trump® Disinformation
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on October 18, 2020, 10:19:43 AM
A lot of people reject the rules because they want to "expres themselves".

Well maybe, it's hard to know. I just think that it would greatly help here in the UK if people knew they wouldn't be too much out of pocket by self isolating, especially if they're asymptomatic, and if they knew that there was a way they could get the groceries in, and if they were offered alternative accommodation if where they live is really cramped. In short, if the state actually supported them rather than directed them. This is, after all, 14 days house arrest, it's a huge imposition.

Carlo Gesualdo

I notice something, sometime we associated poverty whit illness virus spreading, but something not right here...

My neighborhood use to be cheap to live, than  the mayor of district  try to sold thee country to rich family in, these people  respect us F  word  us all, there  parasite and dangerous for us local.

They were the first to believe lettuce of collective immunity which is now false...  >:D

Just in the backstreet of my avenue four rich  young  between  35-45 move in, these people started a regime of occupation party  of 15-20+ people and there four place like this behind my house, there students or students graduate have children yet do adult party gathering  from  thusday  until sunday, do so much racket,  my aunt live on the same street she have a cancer she could not sleep , we would heard these idiot noise from 10 block away no police came, eventually i started to  take picture  of there little gathering  they stop, but you know what shock me drive me mad.

Inequity, the local have less power than these new neighbors invader, less right, my aunt complaint to the police they were making noise so loud  4 days a week until 2-3 a.m police  would backfire at her home and they would complaint in horde saying my aunt harassed them, these slime these vermin, they inoculated us of covid-19, not poor ''stupid'' people but rich idiot...

Now because of me checking these  a** h****(pardon my language they stop there partying I took picture of them like hey smile  your caught on tape lol

:laugh:

This intervention was to tell you folks the reality of it all, it's not just poor people spreading covid-19 some are vigilant like me, I'm not rich, yet rich  people of my neighborhood invaders mole of Plateau Montreal are way much worst, I spurt a mask on the street, gentrification made my neighborhood Rosemont  sensitive case since the rich  student coming here to raise there family are party people and don't care of local of us and spread covid-19.

This anger me, you don't know, beyond words (like Gira in Swans in 1984 nyc band). I'm sorry but this is the way it is...

My point is  sometime rich people or less responsable than poor people  in a crisis like covid-19...

premont

Quote from: deprofundis on October 18, 2020, 09:55:44 PM

My point is  sometime rich people or less responsable than poor people  in a crisis like covid-19...

Certainly. Think of the orange pretender (claiming to be very rich), who may be the most irresponsible person on earth in this context.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on October 18, 2020, 09:55:44 PM

Sometimes... Poor people generally feel vulnerable, and rich people often feel invincible.

greg

Quote from: Que on October 19, 2020, 09:16:11 AM
Sometimes... Poor people generally feel vulnerable, and rich people often feel invincible.
For real... I used to have to drive down a long country road to school twice a week where people would drive like maniacs, leading to some stuff I'd like to forget I've seen.

The reputation of that road is that it's just rich assholes causing these crashes. And my professor wouldn't let me do the class at home when it felt like I was putting my life in danger every time, so there wasn't really a choice.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mandryka

Poor people rightly feel vulnerable because European governments will surely make them bear the lions share of the costs of the crisis, the poor will pay. And of course poor people rightly feel vulnerable because they live in more cramped conditions, and their health is poorer, and they tend to have low paid public facing jobs, so they're more likely to catch the disease - we've seen that in the stats for the first wave in the UK, where Blacks, Asians and ethnic minorities were disproportionately affected.

Are the rich right to feel invincible? Well in the UK they know that the government will do all it possibly can to protect their investment in property, while doing very little to protect the young against structural unemployment caused by the crisis. In that sense, they have a bit of a security blanket.

arpeggio

If Hillary Clinton was president and 50,000 people had died the Republicans would have impeached her.

Herman

Quote from: arpeggio on October 19, 2020, 07:31:40 PM
If Hillary Clinton was president and 50,000 people had died the Republicans would have impeached her.

watch your language, please.
you mean 'locked her up.'

T. D.

From Bloomberg News:

Roche CEO Warns Against Hopes for Speedy Vaccines (7:51 a.m. NY)

Many people's hopes for a speedy vaccine are still too high, Roche Holding AG Chief Executive Officer Severin Schwan warned.

It is "completely unrealistic" to expect a Covid-19 vaccine to be widely available by the end of this year, and most people probably won't have access to a shot until the second half of 2021, Schwan said in an interview with Bloomberg TV anchor Francine Lacqua.