Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

"Glad that it was well-organized.  Was it just a case of first-come-first-served until they ran out of doses?  Here, as far as I've heard lately, it's all by appointment--even for the large mass vaccination sites."

Very strict organization. I got a letter, an email and an SMS - with a personal code. With the code (+ one's national identification code)  one can make an appointment - online or by phone.
I'll get my second jab in 12 weeks.

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on April 21, 2021, 11:09:22 PM
"Glad that it was well-organized.  Was it just a case of first-come-first-served until they ran out of doses?  Here, as far as I've heard lately, it's all by appointment--even for the large mass vaccination sites."

Very strict organization. I got a letter, an email and an SMS - with a personal code. With the code (+ one's national identification code)  one can make an appointment - online or by phone.
I'll get my second jab in 12 weeks.

Very good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on April 21, 2021, 03:16:55 PM
To give as many people as possible the protection of the first shot before fulle vaccinating them.
I just ran across this article.  It seems that (according to studies) the efficacy of the AZ shot increases if the second dose is giving at a later rather than an earlier date:  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

And, yes, it's great too that more people can then get their first round shot too!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2021, 05:00:23 AM
I just ran across this article.  It seems that (according to studies) the efficacy of the AZ shot increases if the second dose is giving at a later rather than an earlier date:  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

And, yes, it's great too that more people can then get their first round shot too!  :)

PD

Most interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Situation in Finland:

Corona cases have been declining for the last month or so.
Restrictions are loosening slowly.
902 corona-deaths.
26 % of population has got at least the first jab.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 22, 2021, 06:27:26 AM
Most interesting!
Karl (or anyone else here),

Have you recently heard about what percentage of the US has been vaccinated?

I saw various articles about the situation in India; so horrible!  :'(  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56858403

Quote from: 71 dB on April 22, 2021, 09:45:47 AM
Situation in Finland:

Corona cases have been declining for the last month or so.
Restrictions are loosening slowly.
902 corona-deaths.
26 % of population has got at least the first jab.

How do those numbers fare with what your government had been predicting/aiming for?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 23, 2021, 04:07:32 AM

About 50% of eligible adults (over 16 years old) have at least one dose. The concerning thing is that according to some reports half of the unvaccinated say they do not intend to get the vaccine. That would prevent the U.S. from reaching the goal of "herd immunity."
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

71 dB

How do those numbers fare with what your government had been predicting/aiming for?

PD

With Covid-19 the situation changes all the time. 1-2 months ago the predictions where more pessimistic when the UK mutation really invaded Finland and made the virus spread more easily. The Government started to "scare" * people with stricter restrictions and it seems to have worked. The situation got better. Because of this constant change it is difficult to say how much current numbers fare with predictions. Predictions done two weeks ago? Two months ago? Six months ago? The predictions are constantly updated with new data. There has been a lot of uncertainly around how much vaccines are delivered. January - March we didn't get the amounts we expected, but now it has gotten better. I believe the initial target of 70 % (estimated herd immunity threshold) was expected to be reached by July, but now maybe 50 % will be reached at that point and getting to the 70 % target seems to take 1-2 months longer. I think the original aim was to be at around 40 % (instead of 26 %) at his point in time, but that was before we knew about the difficulties of vaccine manufacturers to deliver. Hopefully this answers somehow what you asked.

* The restrictions haven't been very strong in Finland at any point compared to some other European countries so curfew-type restrictions sound quite scare to us. Our constitution protects the rights of people a lot to the point where Corona restrictions have sometimes legally challenging because the infringe rights. :o Finland has managed largely because (most) Finns trust the government and take the recommendations and instructions seriously.

71 dB

PD

Top 20 fastest countries: Vaccinations (% of population)

01 - Israel - 62.1 %
02 - UK - 49.0 %
03 - Malta - 45.7 %
04 - Chile - 41.1 %
05 - USA - 40.6 %
06 - Bahrain - 37.8 %
07 - Hungary - 36.3 %
08 - Uruguay - 31.7 %
09 - Serbia - 27.8 %
10 - Canada - 27.0 %
11 - Finland - 26.5 %
12 - Island - 23.6 %
13 - Singapore - 23.3 %
14 - Lithuania - 22.4 %
15 - Estonia - 22.3 %
16 - Germany - 22.1 %
17 - Belgium - 21.9 %
18 - Spain - 21.7 %
19 - Austria - 21.4 %
20 - Norway - 21.1 %

I wonder if the vaccinations in the US will slow down soon because at some point the ones not vaccinated are mostly anti-vaxxers?
I am surprised about how badly South-Korea (4.0 %) and Japan (1.3 %) are doing. Especially Japan looks like a poor third World country!  :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 23, 2021, 05:18:36 AM
About 50% of eligible adults (over 16 years old) have at least one dose. The concerning thing is that according to some reports half of the unvaccinated say they do not intend to get the vaccine. That would prevent the U.S. from reaching the goal of "herd immunity."
Interesting, I was just (literally) looking up the stats and found this on NPR (updated today):  "Since COVID-19 vaccine distribution began in the United States on Dec. 14, more than 218 million doses have been administered, fully vaccinating over 89.3 million people or 26.9% of the total U.S. population."  There's a helpful map by state showing roughly percentages of people who have been fully vaccinated and then another map (again by state) who have received their first shot. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

And, wow!  Half of the people not wanting to get it?!  I had heard that there was a high number of Republicans who indicated that they wouldn't get it; the irony being, to me at least, it seems that it's mostly heavily Republican states/areas which are protesting against lockdown measures, yet they don't want to get the vaccine which would enable their governments to start safely lifting restrictions.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 23, 2021, 09:35:38 AM
And, wow!  Half of the people not wanting to get it?!  I had heard that there was a high number of Republicans who indicated that they wouldn't get it; the irony being, to me at least, it seems that it's mostly heavily Republican states/areas which are protesting against lockdown measures, yet they don't want to get the vaccine which would enable their governments to start safely lifting restrictions.  :(

PD

That is common Republican/conservative thinking: If Y causes Z and you are against Z, you are also against X that prevents Y.  :P

Examples:

X = sex education, Y = pregnancies and Z = abortions.
X = vaccines, Y = Corona infections and Z = lockdowns.
X = social safety nets, Y = extreme poverty and Z = robberies.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 23, 2021, 09:35:38 AMAnd, wow!  Half of the people not wanting to get it?!  I had heard that there was a high number of Republicans who indicated that they wouldn't get it; the irony being, to me at least, it seems that it's mostly heavily Republican states/areas which are protesting against lockdown measures, yet they don't want to get the vaccine which would enable their governments to start safely lifting restrictions.  :(

Have of the unvaccinated say they do not want to be vaccinated. Since about 50% of eligible population is at least partially vaccinated, that is about 25% of the total population.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Biffo

I had my second AZ jab this morning. Super efficient organisation - the clinic wasn't due to open until 08:00 but I got there early. I was processed, jabbed and out by 07:56. The doctor asked me a few health questions and gave information on blood clots. No side effects yet, not even a mark on my arm. I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing develops but it is less than 3 hours since the jab.

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 23, 2021, 09:35:38 AM
Interesting, I was just (literally) looking up the stats and found this on NPR (updated today):  "Since COVID-19 vaccine distribution began in the United States on Dec. 14, more than 218 million doses have been administered, fully vaccinating over 89.3 million people or 26.9% of the total U.S. population."  There's a helpful map by state showing roughly percentages of people who have been fully vaccinated and then another map (again by state) who have received their first shot. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

PD

It's as if these Americans decide they don't want to believe something, and so don't believe it. It just isn't possible for an educated European to think like that, these Americans are from Mars as far as I'm concerned. I blame the school system -- there must be something deeply, fundamentally wrong with the curriculum for there to be such a basic misunderstanding of the relationship between truth and rationality, and rationality and action. God help us.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 24, 2021, 04:19:09 AM
It's as if these Americans decide they don't want to believe something, and so don't believe it. It just isn't possible for an educated European to think like that, these Americans are from Mars as far as I'm concerned. I blame the school system -- there must be something deeply, fundamentally wrong with the curriculum for there to be such a basic misunderstanding of the relationship between truth and rationality, and rationality and action. God help us.

Well, I have to eat my words

https://twitter.com/mariannaspring/status/1385925560631705600?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SimonNZ

Strange article in Yhe Guardian:

Victorious over Covid, Australia and New Zealand grapple with vaccine rollout
Australia's glacially slow delivery of jabs derided as a 'farce', while in New Zealand only 4.5% of eligible people have been vaccinated

My understanding, and that of everyone I talk to, is that here in NZ we've been happy to let the vaccines go where they are more urgently needed and have our own orders and timetables pushed back, with largely only frontline workers getting vaccines at this stage. Nobody - apart from the leader of the opposition party - are saying the government is bungling the rollout, and they idea in that article that they don't know how to go about it is ridiculous.

Holden

The pace of the roll out is not particularly concerning here in Australia simply because we don't have any major outbreaks and seem to be able to control the ones we have. This is the polar opposite to the UK who have vaccinated about 60% of their population already. With the way Covid spread there recently and the accompanying death rate it's appropriate that they get it done as quickly as possible which they seem to be doing. While we don't need to worry about the urgency it is important that the right people are vaccinated first.

The one glitch is Astrazeneca and blood clots which has changed how we will do our roll out with over 50s being prioritised. However, that may be a moot point as the medical authorities are investigating a possible blood clot issue from Pfizer. I'll just wait until I get my text message from the Qld Health and probably go to a pharmacy that is dispensing rather than my GP.
Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

75 colleges/universities are now requiring students to get vaccines.  Some are still debating it and others sound like they won't be requiring it.  :(

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/us/colleges-requiring-covid-vaccines-wellness/index.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2021, 04:56:11 AM
75 colleges/universities are now requiring students to get vaccines.  Some are still debating it and others sound like they won't be requiring it.  :(

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/us/colleges-requiring-covid-vaccines-wellness/index.html

PD

Children are required to be up to date with standard vaccinations in order to attend elementary school, I don't see that there is anything unusual about required a Covid-19 vaccine to attend college or participate in critical activities. The only problematic thing that I see is that it is not that easy to get a vaccine, at present. I had to check a web site daily to try to schedule a vaccine appointment, and it took weeks of checking to get a slot. If an institution is going to require it, they should be prepared to provide it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on April 24, 2021, 04:19:09 AM
It's as if these Americans decide they don't want to believe something, and so don't believe it.

Trumpism in a nutshell. I mean, Republicans have been doing that to some degree for a while (climate change, e.g.) but now, it's the Trump brand.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA