Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

M.I., I'm with Spotted Horses. I respect you as a valuable contributor to this forum and I appreciate your anger at the carelessness and selfishness of many of our country's citizens. But the latter only serves to underline the unavoidable cognitive dissonance in your position. At this point there's no legitimate reason to doubt the efficacy and safety of the vaccine. Go get the damn shots.

I was vaccinated (Pfizer) back in February and March. I had virtually no reaction to either dose, except for a slightly sore arm around the injection site. My wife and her octogenarian parents (who live with us) were vaccinated around the same time. They are all at high risk, her parents due to their age and other health concerns, and my wife because she has severe asthma. COVID could easily be fatal to her. So this is no trivial matter to me. Please get vaccinated.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 29, 2021, 09:45:15 AMDo you give a thought to the fact that being vaccinated is what you can do to stop this pandemic and protect the most vulnerable in our community.

I just found out that my sister has COVID. She works for the health department (restaurant health inspector) and has been fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Let's hope that the vaccine does its job effectively, but, more importantly, I hope she makes a full recovery.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 29, 2021, 09:45:15 AMThe primary guideline from the CDC, the Surgeon general, The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (Dr. Fauci) is to get the vaccine. It seems disingenuous to scold people for ignoring social distancing recommendations when you are ignoring the most fundamental guideline.

What impresses me is not that you are an "idiot," but that you are completely focused on yourself, with no concern for the impact your actions have on your community and your country.

When the vaccines went into testing about a year ago I was somewhat skeptical that they would be as effective as some seemed to assume.  I was apprehensive of their safety, given the urgency with which they were developed and tested. Although these doubts were reduced when the FDA's findings on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines were announced, I still felt somewhat apprehensive about being vaccinated. I did it anyway. I felt a satisfying sense of solidarity with my fellow community members, dragging ourselves in to get the shot, despite worries and inconvenience, to do my part to stop this pandemic. Some people I know reported becoming tearful upon receiving the vaccine because of such feelings.

If you're done lecturing me, I'd like to make the point that we wouldn't be in the position we are currently in if people did their civic duty and stayed the hell away from each other. It's funny that you're going on and on about how I'm focused on myself, but make no comment about the general public who are actually a part of the larger threat (whether they're vaccinated or not). Do you think going to sporting events, concerts, festivals, etc. is prudent at this point in time? Team USA in the Olympics have sent a number of athletes home because they have COVID and I'm sure all of these people have been fully vaccinated. It's not that I'm against getting the vaccine, it's just that I'm reading some conflicting reports about their effectiveness. Anyway, your point (and Alek Hidell) has been made. There's no need to further reiterate your position. I'll be off next week for five days and I plan on getting the first dose during that time off.

Harry

Some people are cowards, and have tried all arguments there are to avoid getting a jab. That they could potentially infect others that might die does not weigh in their considerations. And there are many of them, especially in the south of America. Being part in the process of administering and coordinating vaccins, I see that in the Netherlands the percentage of people that are willing to put childishness aside, and get their jab, is going up, and the Delta + is pushed back. There is simply no argument to say no, unless you are a egoist par excellance, or have a death wish, and prepared to take others with you!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2021, 08:16:37 PM
I just found out that my sister has COVID. She works for the health department (restaurant health inspector) and has been fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Let's hope that the vaccine does its job effectively, but, more importantly, I hope she makes a full recovery.

It's very rare that the vaccine doesn't do its job. Hoping for a quick recovery soon, I read from your earlier post that she felt unwell a few days ago.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on July 29, 2021, 10:47:30 PM
I see that in the Netherlands the percentage of people that are willing to put childishness aside, and get their jab, is going up, and the Delta + is pushed back.

Latest numbers indicate that 90% wants to be vaccinated, which would be wonderful.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 30, 2021, 12:16:47 AM
Latest numbers indicate that 90% wants to be vaccinated, which would be wonderful.

What has caused this change in public opinion? Is it 90% of people over a certain age?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2021, 08:41:37 PM
If you're done lecturing me, I'd like to make the point that we wouldn't be in the position we are currently in if people did their civic duty and stayed the hell away from each other. It's funny that you're going on and on about how I'm focused on myself, but make no comment about the general public who are actually a part of the larger threat (whether they're vaccinated or not). Do you think going to sporting events, concerts, festivals, etc. is prudent at this point in time? Team USA in the Olympics have sent a number of athletes home because they have COVID and I'm sure all of these people have been fully vaccinated. It's not that I'm against getting the vaccine, it's just that I'm reading some conflicting reports about their effectiveness. Anyway, your point (and Alek Hidell) has been made. There's no need to further reiterate your position. I'll be off next week for five days and I plan on getting the first dose during that time off.

The BIG problem here is of course, that society and economy doesn't work properly when people stay away from each other and don't go to sporting events and concerts. People need social interaction. Introverts less than extroverts, but we all do. This is about finetuning the openness of the society while trying to control the virus.

What comes to vaccines, there isn't controversy (among reasonable people interested about the truth) about whether they are effective. The question is how effective they are? We know they are VERY effective against serious illness and deaths. How much do they protect from getting the virus yourself and spreading it to others is another thing (and seems to be highly dependant of the virus variant), but if the vaccines tame Covid-19 into a "flu" it is a BIG win in this battle.

Good luck with getting your first dose. I'll be getting my second tomorrow.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

krummholz

Best of luck to her for a quick and full recovery. Hopefully her symptoms are mild. The odds are definitely on her side - the percentage of fully vaccinated people who have been hospitalized (or worse) with covid is minuscule.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'll be off next week for five days and I plan on getting the first dose during that time off.

Firstly, very sorry to hear that your sister has contracted Covid and hope that she fully recovers and soon!

Secondly, I'm delighted to hear that you will be getting your vaccine next week and hope that all goes smoothly.  Please keep in touch here and let us know how it all goes and any reactions.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I'll be off next week for five days and I plan on getting the first dose during that time off.

Great news!  Good luck!  You'll have nothing to worry about.  Oh... but in case you die may I have your cd collection? 8)

Mandryka

Karl Henning

Warm wishes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

I and my wife (48 and 47 respectively) had Covid in early March and we were not vaccinated. Had only minor symptoms (the most annoying being the loss of smell and taste but it didn't last long for me, longer for my wife, though --- she's not fully recovered yet in this respect). Your sister being vaccinated, she shouldn't have any problems. Best wishes to her, hoping for a quick and full recovery!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 27, 2021, 02:49:38 AM
CDC studies found 2.5 severe reactions per million Moderna shots administered and no deaths. The person you heard the story about may very well have been hospitalized for something unrelated to the vaccine.

The delta variant is probably 3 times more contagious than the Covid-19 virus that first reached the U.S. You are going to get it sooner or later and without a vaccine you may very well have a severe case. I don't think you can say it is a strictly "personal decision" since you will become a vector for transmitting the virus and a reservoir in which the virus can mutate.

The idea that if you're vaccinated then you're less of a vector, or less of a reservoir for mutations, is possibly wishful thinking

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/breakthrough-infection-masks-cdc-provincetown-study/index.html

If that's right, it's harder to make out the argument from social responsibility for vaccination that you've been using against Mirror Image.

Spotted Horses

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the vaccine will prevent severe illness, as data indicates it does in most cases.

Very glad to hear this. The risk is small and the potential benefit large.

Quote from: Mandryka on July 30, 2021, 10:25:35 AM
The idea that if you're vaccinated then you're less of a vector, or less of a reservoir for mutations, is possibly wishful thinking

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/breakthrough-infection-masks-cdc-provincetown-study/index.html

If that's right, it's harder to make out the argument from social responsibility for vaccination that you've been using against Mirror Image.

This is very concerning, I agree. The CDC indicated that there was conclusive data that the vaccines reduce transmission for the Covid-19 variants that were circulating at the start of the epidemic, but seem to indicate that delta variant is behaving differently.

It should be a straightforward task to reformulate the mRNA vaccines so that they are based on the delta variant spike domain. Perhaps that will be decisive. Otherwise we are in for a rough ride.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2021, 10:36:20 AM

This is very concerning, I agree. The CDC indicated that there was conclusive data that the vaccines reduce transmission for the Covid-19 variants that were circulating at the start of the epidemic, but seem to indicate that delta variant is behaving differently.

It should be a straightforward task to reformulate the mRNA vaccines so that they are based on the delta variant spike domain. Perhaps that will be decisive. Otherwise we are in for a rough ride.
Perhaps it might be a case of a booster shot for the Delta variant?  Or are there studies that think that we would need to get a 2-shot (or whatever is needed) in terms of a new vaccine?  Probably being overly hopeful here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

The thing to say is that it's a very small study and probably not true. But it does show how precarious our understanding of the disease is.

Pohjolas Daughter

Just heard that the Delta variant is as contagious as the chicken pox.   :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter