The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (2/1189) > >>

arkiv:
Was this virus created in laboratories?

SimonNZ:

--- Quote from: epicous on March 12, 2020, 09:14:42 PM ---Was this virus created in laboratories?

--- End quote ---

No. Wuhan has a virology lab, but there's a global consensus among scientists that this originated in nature - in some not yet fully understood way.

vandermolen:
Re: Panic buying

My daughter has texted me that one of her former colleagues is stock-piling custard.
Sounds sensible to me.

Thank you Jeffrey (JBS not me) for starting this thread. I was going to do this myself but thought that people have probably had enough of new threads from me.

A lot of people are working from home. East Sussex where I live (famous last words) does not currently have any cases as far as I'm aware, although there is believed to be a big discrepancy between official confirmed cases and the real situation.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: epicous on March 12, 2020, 09:14:42 PM ---Was this virus created in laboratories?

--- End quote ---

I agree with Simon NZ although a friend contacted me yesterday pointing out that the American author Dean Koontz's novel 'The Eyes of Darkness' (1981) features a global pandemic breaking out in 2020 as a consequence of a biological weapon called 'Wuhan-400'!

https://www.india.com/lifestyle/did-authors-dean-koontz-and-sylvia-browne-really-predict-coronavirus-outbreak-back-in-1981-and-2008-3967957/

My school is staying open for now and lots of the children live abroad anyway. All the overseas school trips are cancelled. The UK governments is facing criticism for not going further, like the French or Irish for example, but I'm not sure that they are wrong and they seem to be following the advice of medical experts.

I was due to travel to Coventry today for a History examiner's meeting but that has been cancelled which I think is sensible.

Hope everyone here (GMG forum not just UK) keeps safe and well.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on March 12, 2020, 10:43:00 PM ---The UK governments is facing criticism for not going further, like the French or Irish for example, but I'm not sure that they are wrong and they seem to be following the advice of medical experts.

--- End quote ---

It's hard for me to believe that the UK is being uniquely clear sighted, and the rest of the world is confused. But it's possible.

I can't find anywhere any details of the model that the British government is using, so that I can understand their response. Surely this must be in the public domain.

I haven't checked, but ditto for the (opposed?) model that the French government is using.

Que -- is there a united EC approach to this, a set of policies which give guidelines to all EU countries about (for example) when to close schools, restrict travel etc? Or is each country using a different model and following different objectives?

I would have thought that openness would be a good thing on this sort of situation, just to get the buy in of the people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version