Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 09, 2021, 10:04:19 AM
The unusually early and big rise of an RS virus - which is not a corona virus, and has resulted in 700 cases in just a week among small children - is met with concern here, and straining some hospitals. Thankfully, the virus is very rarely fatal, though.

It is also considered a warning of what might come later, as regards other autumnal flu epidemics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_respiratory_syncytial_virus
(source, but in Danish https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2021-09-09-boerneafdeling-lagt-ned-af-rs-virus-aflyser-operationer-og-hjaelp-til-spaedboern)

Is this, and the flu in kids you mentioned, happening elsewhere? I haven't heard about it in Scotland for example, where schools have been open for some time now. By coincidence here's the latest government report on respiratory diseases in the UK, released today

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1016276/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w36.pdf
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

There aren't stories about it elsewhere that I've encountered, and I see from the summary in your report, that it's not (yet???) happening in your country either. But unless it will strain hospitals a lot, it does seem less serious than corona.

Mirror Image

I spoke to another nurse today. This one works in the ER and I asked her about COVID cases and she said, like another nurse mentioned to me several weeks ago, that the rate of those unvaccinated people getting COVID is on the rise and while she's seen several vaccinated people come in with COVID, she said those who were vaccinated have fared much better than the unvaccinated. She looked tired as hell and relieved that she was off the clock. I'll have to have a chat with one of my neighbors who lives up the street from me. She's a registered nurse, but I don't ever get the opportunity to talk with her much. I'll have to ask her about her experience now with the vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. Anyway, I can't imagine what all of these people have been through in the medical field during this time, but even though none of them are reading this, I thank them for their service. They're the real heroes in all of this --- out on the frontlines everyday.

Karl Henning

US COVID-19 hospitalizations at 13.2%; TSA doubles fines for people who refuse to wear masks at airports
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 10, 2021, 06:33:56 AM
US COVID-19 hospitalizations at 13.2%; TSA doubles fines for people who refuse to wear masks at airports

This maybe a nitpicky thing, but please list your source when you post percentages, Karl. I have no idea where you got that information.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 10, 2021, 06:53:53 AM
This maybe a nitpicky thing, but please list your source when you post percentages, Karl. I have no idea where you got that information.

By Globe staff Updated September 10, 2021, 2 minutes ago
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Citing high shot rates, Danes end COVID-19 restriction

By JAN M. OLSEN The Associated Press, Updated September 10, 2021, 5:45 a.m.

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — After 548 days with restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19, Denmark's high vaccination rate has enabled the Scandinavian country to become one of the first European Union nations to lift all domestic restrictions.

The return to normality has been gradual, but as of Friday, the digital pass — a proof of having been vaccinated — is no longer required when entering night clubs, making it the last virus safeguard to fall.

More than 80% of people above the age of 12 have had the two shots.

"I wouldn't say it is too early. We have opened the door but we have also said that we can close it if needed," Soeren Riis Paludan, a professor of virology with the Aarhus University in Denmark's second largest city, told The Associated Press.

As of midnight, the Danish government no longer considers COVID-19 "a socially critical disease." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said Aug. 27 that "the epidemic is under control" but warned: "we are not out of the epidemic" and the government will act as needed if necessary.

The tipping point in Denmark to start easing restrictions came when a majority in the age group of 50+ had the two shots, Riis Paludan said.

Since Aug. 14, a face mask on public transportation is no longer mandatory. On Sept. 1, night clubs reopened, limits on public gatherings were removed and it was no longer mandatory to show the pass when one wanted to be seated inside restaurants, or go to soccer games, fitness centers or hairdresser.

However, the face mask or shield are still mandatory at airports and people are advised to wear one when at the doctor's, test centers or hospitals. Distancing is still recommended and strict entry restrictions still apply for non Danes at the borders. The outbreak is still considered "an ordinary dangerous illness."

"The ghost of corona sits in the back of our head," said Frank Oestergaard, a patron in a downtown Copenhagen restaurant.

After more than a year, several European countries are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but with caveats. Some have lifted restrictions but will introduce a vaccination passport. Others expect to do so soon. And in some places, there are few restrictions and they are not respected.

On July 19, the British government lifted remaining legal restrictions for England, though it still plans to introduce a vaccination passport for entry into nightclubs and other crowded venues at the end of September.

In Denmark's neighbor Sweden, which has stood out among European nations for its comparatively hands-off response to the pandemic, the government said earlier this month that most restrictions, including the ceiling for private and public gatherings and the advice to work from home, will be removed as of Sept. 29.

The Scandinavian country has not gone into lockdowns or closed businesses, relying instead on citizens' sense of civic duty to control infection. According to official figures, 70% of people over the age of 15 have gotten both shots and nearly 82 % have received the first shot.

And despite a surge, most of the Balkan countries practically have no restrictions, and those which are in place are not respected.

In late May, the Danish government presented the passport app featuring a QR code and a green bar if the person has been vaccinated twice or recently tested negative. A paper version also was available. People either had to scan the code or flash it before entering an airport, a harbor, a train station, a hairdresser or an eatery.

While in many European countries there were pockets of resistance such passes, people used it all the time in Denmark because people trust authorities, Riis Paludan said.

Armed with their pass, people were able to get a haircut, have a drink with friends or attend a cultural event. "It was getting one's freedom back instead of having to sit at home in isolation," laughed Oestergaard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Norway has now tipped the 90% first dose vaccination rate for those above 18 years, with 79% fully vaccinated. The 16 and 17 year old are currently being vaccinated with 80% having had their first dose in my hometown.

Mandryka

We're getting a bit clearer about the UK plan.

In Scotland this week 2.2% have covid, last week it was 1.3% and the week before it was 0.7%. A doubling time of about 7+ days.

Scotland is completely open, the schools are functioning pretty well as before COVID, and people are working from the office.

At this doubling rate, in a few weeks the virus is going to have difficulty finding fuel.

Can we stick it out? 

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on September 11, 2021, 01:39:33 AM
We're getting a bit clearer about the UK plan.

In Scotland this week 2.2% have covid, last week it was 1.3% and the week before it was 0.7%. A doubling time of about 7+ days.
(...)

Supposedly these are percentages of those tested, not an estimate of the population as a whole?

MusicTurner

Quote from: The new erato on September 10, 2021, 11:21:15 PM
Norway has now tipped the 90% first dose vaccination rate for those above 18 years, with 79% fully vaccinated. The 16 and 17 year old are currently being vaccinated with 80% having had their first dose in my hometown.

Well done, you might very well end up with better results than DK.

Mandryka

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on September 10, 2021, 11:21:15 PM

Sound good.

Looking at vaccinated people by age groups in Finland there is a "dip" in first doseses for the 25-29 age group. I wonder if other countries has similar dip. It looks like 25-29 year olds are most hesitant to take the vaccines. Maybe they are less under the influence of their parents than for example 20-24 year olds, but still young and feeling Covid is not dangerous for them? Another interesting thing is that the second doses didn't reach the first doses level in the older age groups who have had plenty to time to get both jabs (almost waiting for the third!). Maybe the "sore arm" of the first dose was too much for some to experience twice?

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DavidW

My local hospital is nearly at capacity with 75 beds filled, 28 of which are for covid.  Doesn't surprise me.  The county I live in has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the entire country.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on September 11, 2021, 04:17:54 AM
My local hospital is nearly at capacity with 75 beds filled, 28 of which are for covid.  Doesn't surprise me.  The county I live in has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the entire country.
Very sorry to hear that Dave.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

The new erato

25 - 39 lags slightly behind in Norway as well. And immigrants, workers and refugees are seriously behind. Poles eg only at 30%

Edit: This was ro 71dB. Ans sorry about that Dave.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on September 11, 2021, 02:46:25 AM
Population estimates from ONS -- this is the latest.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/10september2021

Not terribly easy to understand for a foreigner, but yes, it does seem to be an estimate for the entire population, which is about 5.5 mio. That's a surprisingly high share, if correct. I checked today's results in Scotland, and they are about 11% positive among 45,000 tests, 985 hospitalized, 83 in ICU, and 10 fatalities.

Mandryka

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 11, 2021, 06:25:03 AM
Not terribly easy to understand for a foreigner, but yes, it does seem to be an estimate for the entire population, which is about 5.5 mio. That's a surprisingly high share, if correct. I checked today's results in Scotland, and they are about 11% positive among 45,000 tests, 985 hospitalized, 83 in ICU, and 10 fatalities.

So the strategy here seems to be to maximise infections now to create widespread population immunity. That will put pressure on the hospitals, hence the urgency to get the peak over with well before the start of the winter flu season.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on September 11, 2021, 06:49:12 AM
So the strategy here seems to be to maximise infections now to create widespread population immunity.

I pity those among the infected who will wind up living with "Long COVID"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA