Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Bssic precautionary measures beyond vaccination alone is not "playing god". Nor is it "living in fear". It's a prudent inconvenience supporting the time for an effective vaccination rollout.

Pohjolas Daughter

Has anyone heard much about Novavax?  How imminently will it be released?  I did find this one article which was recently updated:  https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison  I know that it works differently from the other vaccines and am curious to see how effective it will end up being versus the other vaccines.

PD

p.s.  I just heard about it today when I was reading about one of the top tennis players saying that he was waiting for it to get approved (suggested to him by a doctor):  https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/no-australian-open-for-unvaccinated-tennis-players-confirms-federal-minister-20211020-p591h9.html
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 23, 2021, 06:38:16 AM
Has anyone heard much about Novavax?  How imminently will it be released?  I did find this one article which was recently updated:  https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison  I know that it works differently from the other vaccines and am curious to see how effective it will end up being versus the other vaccines.

PD

Looking over various web source, claimed effectiveness of the Novavax vaccine is about the same as the mRNA vaccines. It is a new technology where they make protein nanoparticle which displays the Covid-19 spike domain. Roughly speaking, I think the protein nanoparticle is like a virus capsid but with no RNA inside. The overall mode of activity is the same as the mRNA virus, in which there is a nanoparticle containing the mRNA, which is taken up by human cells and used to synthesize the spike protein inside human cells. The effect is the same, the immune system is exposed to the spike domain without the actual virus being present.

Both methods have the advantage that they are not based on an inactivated or mutated version of the actual virus. There is no chance of infection and the vacines can be formulated and re-formulated quickly. The most time-consuming part of the process is testing.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

In minor news, I've scheduled my Pfizer booster for Monday.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Mass. extends universal mask mandate for most public schools through Jan. 15
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2021, 10:14:06 AM
In minor news, I've scheduled my Pfizer booster for Monday.

I wonder what the recommended wait time is between the two doses of Pfizer and the booster shot?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 02:45:02 PM
I wonder what the recommended wait time is between the two doses of Pfizer and the booster shot?

Not sure, but my 2nd shot was in April.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2021, 02:47:00 PM
Not sure, but my 2nd shot was in April.

Yeah, I've been reading that it's about 6 months or so. If this is the case, I'll be scheduling one for March as I had my 2nd dose in September.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
Yeah, I've been reading that it's about 6 months or so. If this is the case, I'll be scheduling one for March as I had my 2nd dose in September.

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on 5/5 and scheduled a booster as early as I could for 11/1.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 26, 2021, 05:33:49 PM
Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on 5/5 and scheduled a booster as early as I could for 11/1.

Very good, Daverz. So about a six month wait. I'll probably do the same.

T. D.

Quote from: Daverz on October 26, 2021, 05:33:49 PM

My 2nd Pfizer was 4/5, so I'm past the 6-month point, but I'm 64 and boosters currently are only offered for age >=65 (plus exceptions for which I don't qualify). I'll get the booster as soon as the age limit comes down.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on October 26, 2021, 05:44:24 PM
My 2nd Pfizer was 4/5, so I'm past the 6-month point, but I'm 64 and boosters currently are only offered for age >=65 (plus exceptions for which I don't qualify). I'll get the booster as soon as the age limit comes down.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that boosters are only available for ages 65 and up. I'll guess I will just have to continue to wait and see what happens.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 06:20:06 PM
Interesting. I wasn't aware that boosters are only available for ages 65 and up. I'll guess I will just have to continue to wait and see what happens.

Might vary by state.
I'm in NY, one of the more pro-vaccine states, and just got e-mail today repeating (>= 65, 6 months since dose 2) at this time.
But echoed by this recent CDC page: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1021-covid-booster.html
J&J booster available for (>=18, 2 months since dose), btw.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 06:20:06 PM

May vary locally. I'm not yet 65.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on October 26, 2021, 06:38:46 PM
Might vary by state.
I'm in NY, one of the more pro-vaccine states, and just got e-mail today repeating (>= 65, 6 months since dose 2) at this time.
But echoed by this recent CDC page: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1021-covid-booster.html
J&J booster available for (>=18, 2 months since dose), btw.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2021, 06:51:44 PM
May vary locally. I'm not yet 65.

I see. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 26, 2021, 08:12:51 AM
Looking over various web source, claimed effectiveness of the Novavax vaccine is about the same as the mRNA vaccines. It is a new technology where they make protein nanoparticle which displays the Covid-19 spike domain. Roughly speaking, I think the protein nanoparticle is like a virus capsid but with no RNA inside. The overall mode of activity is the same as the mRNA virus, in which there is a nanoparticle containing the mRNA, which is taken up by human cells and used to synthesize the spike protein inside human cells. The effect is the same, the immune system is exposed to the spike domain without the actual virus being present.

Both methods have the advantage that they are not based on an inactivated or mutated version of the actual virus. There is no chance of infection and the vacines can be formulated and re-formulated quickly. The most time-consuming part of the process is testing.
I had thought that it looked like it was about the same in terms of effectiveness; probably more curious as to whether or not there might be any added benefits of taking it vs. one of the other ones.  In any event, I've had my two jabs of a different one already for the year and need to figure out when I should get my third one.  But thank you though for looking into it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Vaccination status in Finland:

First dose: 75.1 % of whole population, 85.4 % of people 12 or older.
Second dose: 68.2 % of whole population, 77.5 % of people 12 or older.

Total corona related deaths during the pandemic: 1150.

In hospitals: 206 patients, of which 33 in intensive care.

My father will be getting his booster shot in two weeks.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MusicTurner

Unfortunately, a rather rapid decline here, with 1871 new cases today in Denmark. More testing is being done, but the average positive percentage among them has gone up to 2%. Hospitalizations have more than doubled within a couple of weeks, reaching 200.
New vaccinations are very few, there's opposition among immigrants and the youngsters in particular. Restrictions are likely to be re-introduced very soon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 27, 2021, 04:07:08 AM
Unfortunately, a rather rapid decline here, with 1871 new cased today in Denmark. More testing is being done, but the average positive percentage among them has gone up to 2%. Hospitalizations have more than doubled within a couple of weeks, reaching 200.
New vaccinations are very few, there's opposition among immigrants and the youngsters in particular. Restrictions are likely to be re-introduced very soon.
Any idea in terms of which immigrant populations overall are against it?  Is it due to religious beliefs or???  And what age range re youngsters?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

I haven't seen statistical surveys of the background for vaccine abstaining/refusals here, it's probably a mixture of reasons, including a lack of felt belonging to the surrounding community, fatalism, ignorance, general protest, and science scepticism. The lowest vaccination rates and biggest outbreaks are in the municipalities and communities west of Copenhagen centre with major immigrant populations (Ishøj, Vallensbæk, Høje Tåstrup, Tingbjerg etc). Rates are in the 60s I think among the total population there, where some other regions will reach the 70s or 80s.

We don't vaccinate children below the age of 12; around 65% of those aged 12 - 15 and aged 25 - 35 have been vaccinated, whereas those aged 15 - 25 are in the 80s.

There are currently no restrictions.