The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (1166/1354) > >>

drogulus:
     Link

--- Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2021, 12:41:26 PM ---The only word missing from the above is mandatory. Instead there is the word recommended. I can assure you that to the best of my knowledge no Romanian kid was ever expelled from school and no Romanian parent was fined or jailed for not being, or not allowing to be, vaccinated.

--- End quote ---

Parents are not jailed. Children are not expelled. They can return to school as soon as it is safe for them and others.

--- Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2021, 12:41:26 PM ---
Be it as it may, let's play by your rules: please tell us what is the difference between the Romanian-made measles-containing vaccine in 1979 and the rMNA anti-Covid-19 vaccines in 2020?

--- End quote ---

I guess you put a Bog on one and Pazuzu (personal friend of mine) on the other one.

Que:

--- Quote from: Que on November 27, 2021, 07:00:50 AM ---New Covid variant: How worried should we be?

What I get from it is that there is a real possibility that we're in big trouble, but hopefully not...

--- End quote ---

Still true today. Transmissibility is higher, so it's likely that this variant will replace the delta variant as the dominant variant.
Mutation level is higher than all previous variants, but it is unsure what the consequences are. It is unclear if existing vaccines will still be effective. Same on the health effects: this variant could be more dangerous - or more benign. We could get lucky...

Mandryka:
Interesting that Holland is recommending work from home now, Que. There are people here who think the UK should have done the same -- as far as I know Holland is the only Western country to have made that move.

Expensive! Think of all those Christmas parties at work which won't happen. The hospitality industry really are getting it in the neck.

And the rest in Holland seems really strong -- partial closures of retail and entertainments.

Que:
I think working from home is a good measure: it limits contact at work and the use of public transport. But almost every Dutch household  has Internet access.

There seems to be a clear divide in society:
1. Those who think the current measures are - again - too little, too late (count me in)
2. The large majority that doesn’t care anymore and want it just to be over.
3. Those who think enough is enough and are opposing any government measures.

The hesitancy in scaling up measures during this new wave are political - general covid "fatigue" - as well as financial - after generous support of businesses during the first waves, financial buffers have been depleted.

But the limits of capacity in health care have been reached, and the government's hand is forced.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: Que on November 28, 2021, 05:25:05 AM ---, financial buffers have been depleted.

--- End quote ---

Maybe, this is something I'm not confident to discuss really. Do you know about MMT?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Monetary_Theory

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version