The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (1189/1387) > >>

Mandryka:
The border closures are total theatre. A useless gesture from a health point of view, but far from useless politically. The electorate don't like Johnny Foreigner and they feel that their country should be protected against barbarian invaders. So closing the borders goes down well with the groundlings, which, from a politician's point of view, is excellent. Nobody cares about the suffering caused by the closures -- families who are driven apart. People see this sort of cruelty as a good thing in fact -- like the refugee camps in Calais and Lesbos.

BasilValentine:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on December 07, 2021, 02:55:20 AM ---The border closures are total theatre. A useless gesture from a health point of view, but far from useless politically. The electorate don't like Johnny Foreigner and they feel that their country should be protected against barbarian invaders. So closing the borders goes down well with the groundlings, which, from a politician's point of view, is excellent. Nobody cares about the suffering caused by the closures -- families who are driven apart. People see this sort of cruelty as a good thing in fact -- like the refugee camps in Calais and Lesbos.

--- End quote ---

Yes, and worse. One researcher I heard interviewed on NPR said South Africa is being punished for having a testing program that discovered an early case and epidemiologists who managed to sequence the genome before anyone else. The danger is that this kind of "do something politics" will discourage those ahead of the curve from going public with the data and research we all need.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
"A useless gesture from a health point of view, but far from useless politically." Like protesting masks, then?

k a rl h e nn i ng:
U.S. coronavirus cases approach 50 million

MusicTurner:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 07, 2021, 07:32:26 AM ---"A useless gesture from a health point of view, but far from useless politically." Like protesting masks, then?

--- End quote ---

Do you mean 'protective masks' ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version