Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2022, 10:22:54 AM
Thank you for the updates; I hope that you and your family members stay healthy and don't have any bad and/or long-term issues with it.

PD

Thank you, so far good, though there's a lot of potential infections here ... :)

MusicTurner

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 09, 2022, 04:18:43 AM
Following the talked-about, recent DK re-opening, numbers aren't really going down these days, and unfortunately, for the first time with several family members getting positive tests. But luckily, mild cases so far.
With the actual official policy this is unavoidable. Hope for their speedy recovery.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

krummholz

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2022, 11:48:57 PM
Wonder what our *Canadian members can share regarding the truckers' strikes and blockades in Ottawa and elsewhere along the Canadian-US border?  From what I've read or heard, for example, there are a number of right-wingers who have traveled long distances to add their voices and protest--though not always about what the truck drivers are protesting (having to be vaccinated in order to do their jobs).

*or others who live close to the border and/or been impacted by the strikes

PD

I'm sure this is major news in Detroit, my hometown, since the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor, ON is absolutely at a standstill because of this, last I heard. And the news yesterday was that the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron, MI and Sarnia, ON is similarly snarled. I can't give any local perspective as I no longer live in that area, but I've been paying close attention to that news for obvious reasons. I could see the Ambassador Bridge from the roof of the building where I worked for many years. This is all very sad and disturbing to me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on February 10, 2022, 02:11:52 PM
I'm sure this is major news in Detroit, my hometown, since the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor, ON is absolutely at a standstill because of this, last I heard. And the news yesterday was that the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron, MI and Sarnia, ON is similarly snarled. I can't give any local perspective as I no longer live in that area, but I've been paying close attention to that news for obvious reasons. I could see the Ambassador Bridge from the roof of the building where I worked for many years. This is all very sad and disturbing to me.
I echo your sentiments and have been keeping an eye on the developments.  Neat that you could see that bridge; I imagine that there was a steady stream of trucks 24-7 traveling in both directions on that bridge.  I've heard that some of the truckers are trying to take alternate routes in order to get across the border and deliver their loads.  I imagine that they then are scheduled to pick up cargo on the other side of the border too?  What a nightmare!  And what about things like produce, perhaps medicine and other time-sensitive products that can perish?  I forget the numbers (totals), but this gives folks an idea of how much trade there is between the US and Canada:  https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c1220.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

We're getting protesters in Canberra. Or so the news tells me, I'm working from home and between that and the house-move preparations I'm barely going anywhere. Apparently if I ventured to places nearer Parliament House (such as my usual office) they would be quite a bit more annoying.

Word is they're planning to target the local government's mass vaccination centre on the weekend. Yay.

And someone I went to high school with is driving back down to Canberra to join them. Yay. Finger hovering over the unfriend button in Facebook.

Similar to Canada, they're coming to the national capital to protest measures that are mostly implemented by state/provincial governments. They have a wobbly grasp of science so I shouldn't be surprised that constitutional law isn't a strong point either.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on February 11, 2022, 04:08:35 AM
We're getting protesters in Canberra. Or so the news tells me, I'm working from home and between that and the house-move preparations I'm barely going anywhere. Apparently if I ventured to places nearer Parliament House (such as my usual office) they would be quite a bit more annoying.

Word is they're planning to target the local government's mass vaccination centre on the weekend. Yay.

And someone I went to high school with is driving back down to Canberra to join them. Yay. Finger hovering over the unfriend button in Facebook.

Similar to Canada, they're coming to the national capital to protest measures that are mostly implemented by state/provincial governments. They have a wobbly grasp of science so I shouldn't be surprised that constitutional law isn't a strong point either.
Sorry to hear that Madiel, but, sadly, not surprised. 

How are you moving preparations going by the way?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 11, 2022, 04:15:54 AM
How are you moving preparations going by the way?

Finished up work today, and now have 4 days (Saturday-Tuesday) to clean up enough of my crap so that the movers can move all the big stuff for me on Wednesday. I can clean out some more stuff after that if I have to, and indeed I think the genuine throwing out of stuff will probably happen afterwards.

Meanwhile, the painter has put some colour into the relentlessly neutral new house. The central living space off the kitchen is now a cosy, warm shade of green and I love it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on February 11, 2022, 04:23:45 AM
Finished up work today, and now have 4 days (Saturday-Tuesday) to clean up enough of my crap so that the movers can move all the big stuff for me on Wednesday. I can clean out some more stuff after that if I have to, and indeed I think the genuine throwing out of stuff will probably happen afterwards.

Meanwhile, the painter has put some colour into the relentlessly neutral new house. The central living space off the kitchen is now a cosy, warm shade of green and I love it.
Oh, good!  It's hard enough to move let alone having some chunks of time all together, so that you can focus and get some organizing/cleaning/decluttering done.  What shade of green did you go for and does that room get a lot of light (I'm guessing that it does)?  And when do you have to be out of there by?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 11, 2022, 04:04:55 AM
I echo your sentiments and have been keeping an eye on the developments.  Neat that you could see that bridge; I imagine that there was a steady stream of trucks 24-7 traveling in both directions on that bridge.  I've heard that some of the truckers are trying to take alternate routes in order to get across the border and deliver their loads.  I imagine that they then are scheduled to pick up cargo on the other side of the border too?  What a nightmare!  And what about things like produce, perhaps medicine and other time-sensitive products that can perish?  I forget the numbers (totals), but this gives folks an idea of how much trade there is between the US and Canada:  https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c1220.html

PD

Oh, I said I could see the bridge from the roof, not the traffic going across!  ;) It was probably 10 km or so from the building, on the WSU campus, which was just north of downtown Detroit. But the few times I drove across that bridge, yes there were many trucks going across, as well as ordinary cars.

The only alternate route i can think of that is nearby would be the Detroit-Windsor tunnel that I recall was accessed from Jefferson Ave. near Cobo Hall, the major convention center in Detroit. But I think there are relatively low clearances in the tunnel so many trucks will probably not be able to cross that way. There are also a couple of ferry crossings along the St. Clair River south of Port Huron / Sarnia, but I don't know if they can handle trucks - probably not, as I think they are auto ferries only. Other than that, there are the crossings at Sault Ste. Marie and at Buffalo / Niagara Falls, but of course those are a good distance away from Detroit. Still, given that both the Ambassador and Blue Water bridges are at a complete standstill, those might be the only viable options for many truckers.

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 11, 2022, 05:59:57 AM
Oh, good!  It's hard enough to move let alone having some chunks of time all together, so that you can focus and get some organizing/cleaning/decluttering done.  What shade of green did you go for and does that room get a lot of light (I'm guessing that it does)?  And when do you have to be out of there by?

PD

The green is this (though really not the right impression just on a screen like this): https://www.dulux.com.au/colours/details/48718_31296

The room does not actually get that much light... though it's hard to tell in a La Nina year anyway. Plus there's a pergola in the "way".

And I have to be out of the old house by... well, by whenever I sell it. Which I want to do fairly quickly, though technically I have a year before the bank will want their money back.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on February 11, 2022, 04:23:52 PM
Oh, I said I could see the bridge from the roof, not the traffic going across!  ;) It was probably 10 km or so from the building, on the WSU campus, which was just north of downtown Detroit. But the few times I drove across that bridge, yes there were many trucks going across, as well as ordinary cars.

The only alternate route i can think of that is nearby would be the Detroit-Windsor tunnel that I recall was accessed from Jefferson Ave. near Cobo Hall, the major convention center in Detroit. But I think there are relatively low clearances in the tunnel so many trucks will probably not be able to cross that way. There are also a couple of ferry crossings along the St. Clair River south of Port Huron / Sarnia, but I don't know if they can handle trucks - probably not, as I think they are auto ferries only. Other than that, there are the crossings at Sault Ste. Marie and at Buffalo / Niagara Falls, but of course those are a good distance away from Detroit. Still, given that both the Ambassador and Blue Water bridges are at a complete standstill, those might be the only viable options for many truckers.
Looks like things are heating up in Canada:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60356461  and in Paris they've sent in tanks to block protestors from driving into the city.

Quote from: Madiel on February 11, 2022, 05:43:12 PM
The green is this (though really not the right impression just on a screen like this): https://www.dulux.com.au/colours/details/48718_31296

The room does not actually get that much light... though it's hard to tell in a La Nina year anyway. Plus there's a pergola in the "way".

And I have to be out of the old house by... well, by whenever I sell it. Which I want to do fairly quickly, though technically I have a year before the bank will want their money back.
Ah, I was thinking that you had already sold your old house.  Good luck with that and hope that you are able to get what you ask for it.

And avocado green; I remember those days!   ;) But seriously, hope that you enjoy it and your new place!  And yes it's nice to have some pops of color in your home.  :)

To go back to thread duty, how are things going currently re protests in Canberra?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2022, 02:01:30 AM
To go back to thread duty, how are things going currently re protests in Canberra?

Apparently another 10 to 15 thousand people turned up for the weekend, which led to cancellation of a couple events near where they were camping/caravanning (and they overspilled where they were supposed to be and caused damage).

They went to Parliament House today. Apparently a few went past the barricades and got in trouble, 3 arrests, but I get the impression it was mostly okay. Basically locals just stayed out of the relevant areas I think.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on February 12, 2022, 02:33:14 AM
Apparently another 10 to 15 thousand people turned up for the weekend, which led to cancellation of a couple events near where they were camping/caravanning (and they overspilled where they were supposed to be and caused damage).

They went to Parliament House today. Apparently a few went past the barricades and got in trouble, 3 arrests, but I get the impression it was mostly okay. Basically locals just stayed out of the relevant areas I think.
Thanks for the update; I hope that it continues to be relatively peaceful.  Wonder how it's effected local businesses?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Everybody ready for some pep talk?  :-X

Next Covid strain could kill many more, warn scientists ahead of England restrictions ending

The idea that virus variants will continue to get milder is wrong. A new one could turn out to be even more pathogenic than the Delta variant, for example.

premont

Quote from: Que on February 12, 2022, 11:19:55 AM

The idea that virus variants will continue to get milder is wrong. A new one could turn out to be even more pathogenic than the Delta variant, for example.

This is unfortunately our actual situation. But many seem to be unaware of it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 12, 2022, 11:57:17 AM
This is unfortunately our actual situation. But many seem to be unaware of it.

I know... Or they don't want to be aware...

Florestan

It's over, guys. Get over it.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

The elephant in the room isn't the possibility of a more dangerous variant. The elephant is the number of deaths from omicron. In the UK we're on target for, let's say, 90K this year. That makes omicron a major cause of death, along with cancer, dementia and heart disease.

But no one bats an eyelid. There is hardly any debate about the question of whether it's right to accept this new scourge on society in return for a return to something close to normality. The media, the politicians, everyone - all schtum.

How has this happened? My answer is as follows: the forces of capitalism, acting in their own interests, have controlled the agenda.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen