The Back Room > The Diner

Coronavirus thread

<< < (1466/1482) > >>

Madiel:
I no longer expect not getting sick, because I live in the world’s most vaccinated city and people around me are constantly getting sick.

Meanwhile I’ve just had a cold that took 3 weeks to clear up… LOTS of things are circulating more this winter as people interact more than they did the past 2 years.

There’s been some discussion of reimposing mask requirements in Australia as case numbers soar. I doubt it will happen. You do see a fair amount of masks in certain settings. In general I carry mine but just try to keep my distance from random people.

71 dB:

--- Quote from: greg on July 05, 2022, 01:18:23 PM ---What is a better word than effectiveness, for one person? Just replace that word with it.
--- End quote ---

How the vaccine affects a certain person is unpredictable, but how the vaccine affects large populations statistically is predictable. That's why effectiveness only makes sense statistically in the case of the vaccine. We can talk about risk reduction. That incorporates the statistical nature even when talking about just one person.

greg:

--- Quote from: Madiel on July 05, 2022, 01:25:21 PM ---Meanwhile I’ve just had a cold that took 3 weeks to clear up

--- End quote ---
3 weeks? Yikes.

--- Quote from: 71 dB on July 05, 2022, 01:42:29 PM ---How the vaccine affects a certain person is unpredictable, but how the vaccine affects large populations statistically is predictable. That's why effectiveness only makes sense statistically in the case of the vaccine. We can talk about risk reduction. That incorporates the statistical nature even when talking about just one person.

--- End quote ---
Yes.

Madiel:

--- Quote from: greg on July 05, 2022, 03:02:26 PM ---3 weeks? Yikes.

--- End quote ---

Well it was only about one week of full symptoms of stuffed nose and so on. But the cough refused to go away for a long time. It was extremely annoying.

André:
Lingering cough is often a ‘by-product’ of a cold - a secondary condition. A few years ago I had a cold that resulted in 3 weeks of lingering cough - it then degenerated into a bronchitis. They were 3 different conditions with a single initial cause. Common cold can be serious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version