Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2022, 10:31:05 AM
A new immunity-evading virus variant looms. Here's how to fight it.

What is not yet known is whether or how well an immunity wall, built both by natural infection and vaccines, might protect against a new wave. One reason to worry is that BQ.1.1 evades immune systems on a greater scale than other variants and subvariants. Already, the new variant has the potential to make obsolete Evusheld, a key antibody used to protect immunocompromised individuals. Cases appear to be taking off in New York and could spread across the country in the months ahead. Another subvariant, known as XBB, can also easily evade immune systems.. So far, it has spread far in Singapore but little in the United States.
Karl, I suspect that a lot of us can't read the WP articles.  Thank you for the info though.  I'll try and look it up elsewhere.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

I got the new Moderna booster today (Tuesday). To be perfectly Franck I'm starting to think of Covid as a bad flu which will be more dangerous as I get older and more decrepit. My health is excellent in the relevant respects. Kidney stones don't signify.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 25, 2022, 01:17:08 PM
Karl, I suspect that a lot of us can't read the WP articles.  Thank you for the info though.  I'll try and look it up elsewhere.

Best,

PD

Sorry! They used not to hold COVID articles behind the paywall. I guess that policy was since dropped ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2022, 06:10:34 AM
Sorry! They used not to hold COVID articles behind the paywall. I guess that policy was since dropped ....
That's o.k., but thanks.]]PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 20, 2022, 05:51:56 AM
Make that four friends now.

Sharing is what friends are for.

How serious are their symptoms?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on October 27, 2022, 08:46:42 AM
Sharing is what friends are for.

How serious are their symptoms?

Overall, mild, thanks for checking. All of them are vaxxed, so they are avoiding the worst of it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Karl Henning

Emily Oster: Obviously some people intended to mislead and made wildly irresponsible claims. Remember when the public-health community had to spend a lot of time and resources urging Americans not to inject themselves with bleach? That was bad. Misinformation was, and remains, a huge problem. But most errors were made by people who were working in earnest for the good of society.

We have to put these fights aside and declare a pandemic amnesty. We can leave out the willful purveyors of actual misinformation while forgiving the hard calls that people had no choice but to make with imperfect knowledge.

"We can leave out the willful purveyors of actual misinformation" is a good caveat. Possible overlap with "people who give a ready ear to conspiracy theory rubbish"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

So, very young children are now being vaccinated for COVID? This is recommended? I'm out of the loop on that.

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on November 19, 2022, 12:14:47 PM
So, very young children are now being vaccinated for COVID? This is recommended? I'm out of the loop on that.

Took my daughters to the doctor last week and they received flu, Covid, and HPV vaccines, among some other boosters for school in the US.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Madiel

Quote from: milk on November 19, 2022, 12:14:47 PM

Yes, they did clinical trials and got the okay.

Here in Australia, under 5 is only recommended for children at risk, for example immunocompromised.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on December 16, 2022, 01:49:32 PMPeople who skipped their COVID vaccine are at higher risk of traffic accidents, according to a new study

Science.

Called spurious relationship.
When the ice cream are sold a lot, beers are sold a lot too. There is a mathematical relationship, without a causal effect, since the both are influenced by temperature.

Madiel

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 16, 2022, 01:56:47 PMCalled spurious relationship.
When the ice cream are sold a lot, beers are sold a lot too. There is a mathematical relationship, without a causal effect, since the both are influenced by temperature.

How is that "spurious", though? I agree that neither is the direct cause of the other (just as the article discusses that vaccination status doesn't cause traffic accidents) but I don't know that "spurious" is the right word for a correlation (just as the article discusses how the same behavioural factors might affect both vaccination and driving behaviour).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

greg

I didn't read the article, but seems pretty obvious that the most likely cause is that the people that didn't get it have more reckless and daring personality tendencies, so that translates into driving style, which ends up in more accidents.

Of course, people are going to come to judgement about that- especially here, most people will probably think "what reckless idiots! serves them right!" but you just gotta keep in mind the big picture- that recklessness is a true double edged sword- it is possible growth in the right conditions, possible disaster in the wrong ones. You will never grow if you play it safe all the time, more likely you will be subject to the whims of those who recklessly risked it all to rise above- but if their recklessness results in dumb traffic accidents, then their bad quality is that they are dumb, not that they are reckless, and that's the main reason for their failure (apart from bad luck as another possibility).
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Que

drogulus

The news from China is grim. According to a source within China as many as 37 million people were infected in a single day. The problem has three aspects. The Chinese vaccine is ineffective against the most common variants in the country, natural immunity to Covid is not common, and given these factors the only solution is to vaccinate everyone with effective vaccines like the ones that have allowed normalcy to return in the rest of the world.

The Chinese have refused offers of an effective vaccine. Millions will die.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Madiel

A range of countries have introduced the testing requirement for arrivals from China. Another story said Italy has imposed the requirement because half of passengers were testing positive. Half!