Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I went to the movies today. The ticket seller said there are no plans to close in the immediate future.

I'm not sure what constitutes panic in public behavior. We are all supposed to not do it, but I'm a little unsure of what I'm not supposed to be doing.

As for panic as emotion, that's my business. It's my pandemic, I'll cry if I want to......You would cry too if it blah blah etc.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 14, 2020, 11:41:43 AM
I'm beginning to see little signs of civilizational slippage, i.e. things that indicate people are dealing with an unprecedented crisis. My local library just closed for the duration, and today they sent me an overdue notice, indicating that the items I checked out are overdue. The due date is listed as 1962. This has never happened to me before.

I wondered how large a fine I would have to pay, but their website contained this notice:

"You may have received a message saying that your items are overdue...by about 58 years. Obviously, this is not correct (unless you have invented time travel, in which case: we have some questions). We think that the issue occurred when we were resetting due dates. We've put in a ticket with our tech company."

Hah! Book to the Future!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

GioCar

Quote from: ritter on March 14, 2020, 09:46:27 AM
Caro Gio, it's good to hear from you, and I hope that you and those dear to you are well. I fully identify with your message, as we in Spain (and particularly in Madrid) are seeing what you describe now unfolding right before our eyes. We are being asked by the authorities to stay in our homes, and only go out to buy food or other essentials. Fortunately, it seems that the vast majority of the population is heeding this advice (belatedly, perhaps, as until only two nights ago people were still going to bars, restaurants and outdoor terraces to have a drink as if nothing were happening). Now the city is deserted (all shops—except food, chemists and some other exceptions—, restaurants, bars, gyms, theatre, museums, everything in fact, are closed for at least two weeks). Fortunately, there is no shortage of foodstuffs in the shops, and the general atmosphere is one of quiet, disciplined resignation. Those who can (like me) work from home, and avoid going out unless absolutely necessary. More stringent measures (complete lockdown?) are expected to be announced later today by the government. To a great extent, we have learned from what has happened in Italy (even if it has taken us probably one week too long to learn the lesson).

Ti auguro molto incoraggiamento, e ti mando un grande abbraccio.

Caro Rafael, I've been following with concern what is happening in Europe and in the rest of the world. You in Madrid/Spain have been doing very well in my (new) opinion (as I said before I wasn't worried that much till when I saw the numbers growing exponentially, and when I started witnessing what is happening in hospitals here - my brother is a medical doctor).

Unfortunately some politicians in Europe (the continent) have been starting playing with their country's health system and with human lives. So terribly stupid.

Take care of yourself and your family. We will be over all that soon. In Italy people are preparing a sort of flag with a rainbow and the motto "Tutto andrà bene".

Un grande abbraccio anche a te!

Now I go celebrating my wedding anniversary (22 years) with a romantic dinner al home with my wife. We'll have "orata alla ligure" (see bream ligurian style) with olives, pine seeds, thyme, olive oil, garlic and potatoes  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on March 14, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
Governments across the world are advised by experts and are taking drastic measures, so yes I am taking this very seriously indeed. It is predicted that in the UK 80% of the population will be infected,

I think the figure is greatly exaggerated.

Quotethe symptoms for some will be so mild that they will not even realise they have it,

That's valid for every seasonal flu in every country in every hemisphere.

Quote1% are predicted to die,

Oh, the horror, the horror!

Quoteof course for those aged over 65 the % of deaths shoots up.

That is certainly true --- because, and only because, they're most likely to have pre-existing life-threatening conditions.

The affect on stock markets and businesses, large and small, worldwide is catastrophic.

It could most certainly be catastrophic if mass media and governments alike will keep spreading and inducing mass panic and hysteria.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Quote from: GioCar on March 14, 2020, 11:56:14 AM
Now I go celebrating my wedding anniversary (22 years) with a romantic dinner al home with my wife. We'll have "orata alla ligure" (see bream ligurian style) with olives, pine seeds, thyme, olive oil, garlic and potatoes  :)

Many happy returns! What wine will you have?

André

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2020, 11:50:46 AM
Twitter is not my thing. Can you summarize it, please?

« Bergamo newspaper obituary from February 9: 1 page
Same newspaper's obituary from March 13: 10 pages.
A simple flu. Thanks. »

prémont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 14, 2020, 11:52:27 AM
Hah! Book to the Future!

Absolutely. Book a journey to the future.  :)
Maybe this corona virus is gone by then.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2020, 11:28:03 AM
Wise guys and chicks, those Belgians! If we're going to die, and we're all going to die, then at least let's die happy and cheerful.  :D

Seriously now, I'm all for obeying strictly the rules and regulations the authorities impose, they are for our own good. But I'm also all against inducing panic and hysteria,

I'm willing to take a bet: past April (May at most) the whole damn thing will be over in Europe.
[...]

If I understand correctly, one of them cheerful Belgian partygoers kissed a female TV reporter while she was doing a live broadcast from the street.
The police is now searching for him, because the broadcast company wants to sue him for sexual harrassment and endangering their employee's health.

I'm not against some joking around a bit, but I think this virus is a serious matter, with the death tolls in China and Italy (for instance) as sad proofs. I saw an Italian doctor today on the telly, who was telling about old people dying in hospitals, completely left alone, because their family wasn't able/allowed to come over and because the medical staff was just too busy helping people who could still be saved.

I won't take your bet either, I'm not a medic and I just don't know when this will end. I do know though that I myself don't have a steady job (which ends on May 1st also) and that there are already companies beginning to fire temporary staff, or stop extending their contracts. I'm not sure about other countries, but normally 'just a heavy flu with a few deaths' doesn't lead to this. Today was a sunny day around here, but in my suburb the streets and parks were empty. No fun.

SimonNZ

Wonkette keeping you informed:

What Are Tinfoil Hatters Saying About Coronavirus? Oh, Just Normal Stuff.

"Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, there have been conspiracy theories about the coronavirus. But this week, as the CDC declared it a pandemic and people are really taking it seriously, extremely stupid conspiracy theories about the coronavirus have started to spread like, well, the coronavirus.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, most of these conspiracy theories have started in and around the QAnon community, as it is filled with people who simply do not believe in coincidences. Or, really, in anything in the whole world happening that is not related to their idiot conspiracy theory.

Even schools closing in order to keep children safe presents an opportunity for them to wax poetic about what that could mean for those who kill children in order to harvest their adrenal glands to produce adrenochrome, a substance that can be manufactured in a lab by oxidizing epinephrine, in order to get high off of it. You cannot, in fact, get high off of adrenochrome.

"If 'these people are sick' means adrenochrome withdrawal, then keeping children at home will prevent the elite from feeding."

So let's just dive in, shall we?

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, whom we all love, have tested positive for COVID-19 in Australia where Hanks is currently filming a movie about Elvis Presley in which he plays Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker — they are in isolation and are so far doing OK. That's about it on that story on the normal news front.

Hanks, over the last few years, has been the subject of a super ridiculous conspiracy theory perpetuated by a lady named Sara Ruth Ashcraft who claims she was Tom Hanks's brainwashed sex slave and that he, her parents and a whole bunch of other celebrities belong to a cult called the Hivites. Hillary Clinton, obviously, is involved in this as well, because isn't she always? Anyway, it's partially because of this that his diagnosis has sent the tin foil hat brigade into overdrive.

Randy Quaid seems to think his diagnosis is a hoax perpetuated by none other than Michelle Obama. Why? Who knows!

This guy on Reddit's r/Conspiracy thinks Hanks used his Golden Globes acceptance speech to send messages to the elite about coronavirus, and to telegraph the day and time he and Rita Wilson would be announcing they got it.

Also, according to some stupid people on Twitter, Hanks's most recent tweet confirming he and Wilson are OK was actually a plea for adrenochrome, and Ellen DeGeneres answered their prayers? Or something?

Also Ellen DeGeneres's decision to film her show without a studio audience — coupled with an obvious joke about having a warrant out for her arrest in the state of Florida — sent the Anons into conspiracy overdrive.

Speaking of arrests, both Firefighter Prophet Mark Taylor and Liz "We Don't Want To Be Mean To Her Because She Actually Does Have Brain Damage" Crokin are claiming the coronavirus is merely a coverup for all of the mass arrests that Q has been promising them the last several years.

Via RightWingWatch:

"I do believe that when these mass arrests happen that we will be in martial law for our own safety," Crokin said. "I believe that the coronavirus, which the president of the United States and many doctors have said is no more serious than the flu, is the cover to put the country into lockdown—just like Italy is in lockdown—to possibly declare martial law, get people off the streets, keep them in their homes, so they're safe so when the military and the National Guard sweeps in and conducts these mass arrests, it is done in a manner where people are kept safe."

"Since 2017, Q has been talking about these mass arrests, and Q has also been talking about how when these mass arrests happen, there will probably be many days of darkness, social media might go down, the National Guard is going to come in, and the military will be used to arrest these people," she added. "That is what I believe is happening right now."
In a thread about this on the Voat QAnon board, they are very, very excited for these mass arrests, the public hangings they hope will go along with them, and the idea of getting to have "side bets on how long the eyes and mouth move after decapitation." They are all very normal US citizens!

But it's not all internet randos! Sean Hannity, this week, cited an "MIT guy" who said that the whole coronavirus thing is just a big fraud meant to "manipulate economies, suppress dissent, and push mandated medicines."

Hannity, via Media Matters:

Gateway Pundit points out that as of yesterday that the President's approval rating is fine and he's getting pretty good grades on everything else. There's an MIT guy I noticed on Twitter, and you know he's saying pretty much the same thing he does research nearly every single day on immune systems he said quote "coronavirus fear-mongering by the Deep State will go down in history as one of the biggest frauds to manipulate economies, suppress dissent, and push mandated medicines." May be true.
Except probably not!

It should not surprise you at all to know that the "MIT guy" Hannity noticed on Twitter is in fact Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai, a QAnon weirdo who thinks he invented email and is currently running for Elizabeth Warren's Senate seat.

Like the coronavirus, it is likely that these conspiracy theories are likely to get worse before they get better — but hopefully they remain quarantined in the stupider parts of the internet."

Florestan

SimonNZ

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2020, 01:59:11 PM
Unheard of!  ;D

Yeah, "fuck the doomed", as Ayn Rand might say.

Florestan

Quote from: André on March 14, 2020, 12:50:14 PM
« Bergamo newspaper obituary from February 9: 1 page
Same newspaper's obituary from March 13: 10 pages.
A simple flu. Thanks. »

10 pages, really? Please give the source.

André

You got it but didn't care to read.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 14, 2020, 08:32:05 AM
Virus can remain viable "in aerosols up to 3 hours, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel" a Princeton study awaiting peer review has found https://t.co/8AEaFd230k
A couple of days ago, I watched one t.v. show (interviewing a doctor by another doctor--a heart surgeon) who said if I'm recalling correctly, that the virus could last up to 9 days (which was explained as being much longer than other viruses) then I heard a program on NPR which said it was a much shorter time (a couple of days I believe?)....urgh!   ::)

Am planning on hitting a couple of supermarkets early tomorrow with a friend...hoping that they'll been able to restock overnight.  This is cuckoo!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2020, 01:59:11 PM
Unheard of!  ;D

I didn't want to take the bet, but, come to think of it, I do want to make that deal you offered earlier this week: let's stop reacting to each other's posts, unless it's about music.

I.c. the 'diner': I wish you a happy mocking continuation about other people's worries. Bon appétit and have a healthy digestion.

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 14, 2020, 02:02:40 PM
Yeah, "fuck the doomed", as Ayn Rand might say.

Well, yes of course. If you had cancer, or pneumonia, or diabetes or any other life-threatening condition, the probability that you'll die from seasonal flue is not much less than that of dying from Covid-19. Nothing to do with Ayn Rand, everything to do with biology.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2020, 02:04:15 PM
10 pages, really? Please give the source.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/heartbreaking-video-shows-coronavirus-devastating-toll-on-italy/

But its just the flu. Once again you're an apologist for a Trump narrative (though strictly speaking his is "its nothing to worry about, but I saved you all from it")

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on March 14, 2020, 02:07:32 PM
let's stop reacting to each other's posts, unless it's about music.

Had I realized at first sight it was you whom I was reolying to, I'd have refrained from posting alright.

Otherwise, agreed.

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 14, 2020, 02:10:35 PM
you're an apologist for a Trump narrative

Your fixation on Trump is worisome (pun).