Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 15, 2020, 07:54:04 AM
Dang "corporate media"!

Is Die Welt am Sonntag also dang corporate media?
They've just released an article in which is told that Trump is trying hard to buy a German bio-medical company (CureVac) that's been trying to develop a vaccin against the latest Corona virus. This company is a private company, but it works together with German government-related institutions. According to Die Welt, Trump wants those researches, findings and medicins exclusively for the USA. The German government wants to block the possible sale, but still, CureVac is a private company, which means that, in special occasions, they are allowed to decide on their own. Words in Berlin go that Trump is offering a billion.

For those who understand German:

https://amp.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206555143/Corona-USA-will-Zugriff-auf-deutsche-Impfstoff-Firma.html?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Marc on March 15, 2020, 08:25:32 AM

How can we know, if Kyle does not pronounce unto us'ns?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Perhaps we could keep Kyle out of this thread? He's present enough elsewhere on GMG.

André

They've just released an article in which is told that Trump is trying hard to buy a German bio-medical company (CureVac) that's been trying to develop a vaccin against the latest Corona virus. This company is a private company, but it works together with German government-related institutions. According to Die Welt, Trump wants those researches, findings and medicins exclusively for the USA. The German government wants to block the possible sale, but still, CureVac is a private company, which means that, in special occasions, they are allowed to decide on their own. Words in Berlin go that Trump is offering a billion.

https://amp.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206555143/Corona-USA-will-Zugriff-auf-deutsche-Impfstoff-Firma.html?

I read that yesterday (Washington Post?). I'm not surprised.

The situation is tense in US airports. 6 hours to get your luggage, 2 hours standing shoulder to shoulder in the Customs file. People complain that airports are being transformed in virus incubators.

drogulus

I think the point is that "corporate" is not the right framing for every kind of news. There is no distinctly corporate meaning to "138 cases in Massachusetts".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on March 15, 2020, 08:40:25 AM
Perhaps we could keep Kyle out of this thread? He's present enough elsewhere on GMG.

Fair enow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on March 15, 2020, 09:00:00 AM
     I think the point is that "corporate" is not the right framing for every kind of news. There is no distinctly corporate meaning to "138 cases in Massachusetts".

Precisamente!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Marc

Quote from: drogulus on March 15, 2020, 09:00:00 AM

I was being ironic a bit, because of the 'mayhem' about the 'lying corporate media' in other Diner threads...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Marc on March 15, 2020, 09:01:40 AM
I was being ironic a bit, because of the 'mayhem' about the 'lying corporate media' in other Diner threads...

ed anche naturalmente!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

XB-70 Valkyrie

Could one of you heroes send me a few rolls of toilet paper??  ???   :laugh:
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Karl Henning

Current total of worldwide confirmed cases, per Johns Hopkins University: 162,687

Current number of worldwide deaths, per Johns Hopkins University: 6,065

Total countries affected thus far: 127

Massachusetts total cases: 45 confirmed, 119 presumptive
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Mortality rate by age, based on an analysis from Hubei province figures:

Age Group — Mortality Rate

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

Journalists from the french daily Libération are calling on authories to up their response to the pandemic. In this article they say that the elderly are 'sacrificed' due to the lack of respirators. This can be correlated to the recent spike in deaths in Italy (368 yesterday only) and the Eco di Bergamo's obituary pages that leapt from 1 and 1/2  page on February 9 to 10 pages on March 13 (Bergamo is at the epicenter of the outbreak in Italy). Last week's patients are younger than at the beginning (in their forties). Doctors have to decide who will get the respirators, and some hard choices have to be made.

https://www.liberation.fr/planete/2020/03/12/journalistes-francais-en-italie-pour-que-la-france-prenne-enfin-la-mesure-du-danger_1781450

The article is in French.

drogulus

I read this somewhere so I'll pass it on. This is a good time to stop using cash.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

drogulus

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 15, 2020, 04:10:24 PM
An article about some of the behavior we are seeing:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-people-are-panic-buying-toilet-paper/ar-BB112sCl?ocid=msedgntp

The question assumes something not in evidence, that panic and not an overactive precaution gland causes people to stock up. Stocking up means fewer shopping trips and fewer occasions for catching the virus. You get as much as you can in one trip and then you stay home like any rational neurotic should do.

JBS

NPR this afternoon reported there are 18 different companies, in the US, plus various labs, biomedical centers, etc, working in a vaccine.

The headquarters of the CDC is located on the edge of my alma mater's campus (Emory University, home of the Carter Center and only school to have the honor of having the Dalai Lama listed as a faculty member).   The university emailed an update today, to say among other things two students possibly have the virus. So it's literally down the street from the CDC.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

I went into a local supermarket yesterday which appeared to have just been visited by a plague of locusts.

More encouragingly, a neighbour came round yesterday to ask for help in setting up a local support group to try and assist anyone in the village who needs help during the crisis. Apparently everyone so far had agreed to join the group.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

prémont

Quote from: drogulus on March 15, 2020, 02:27:37 PM
     Mortality rate by age, based on an analysis from Hubei province figures:

Age Group — Mortality Rate

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

This list, which isn't corrected for other serious diseases (heart disease, chronic lung disease et.c.) and doesn't mention whether the patients have got relevant treatment or not, isn't that useful.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν