Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Crudblud on March 17, 2020, 04:27:17 AM
The current advice given by the UK government is to only seek professional help if/when symptoms become severe.

Iow, don't you dare call for professional help before it might be too late. I am shocked by the irresponsibility and cynicism of the UK government.

QuoteDoubts as to Johnson's fitness for office will surely be redoubled many times over as the situation progresses.

I have no doubts the man's insane and at least as dangerous as the virus itself.

QuoteThe cough has steadily abated over the course of the morning, as it did yesterday, but it's too early to say one way or the other whether this is a pattern of escalation or simply "one of those things", in fact impossible since (afaik) the NHS is not at present offering or even able to offer routine testing.

Yes, it might be just "one of those things" --- which I wish it were. But how can you know if you're not tested? And then, of course, the problem of potentially infecting your elderly relatives.

QuoteI'm still young and healthy so I'm not worried for myself,

Agreed.

the real concern is that I will heighten the risk posed to my elderly grandmother, who relies on my mother and I for help with shopping and other errands. The plan at this point is simply to keep myself clean and out of other people's way as much as possible.

A most wise plan, but I'm still shocked that the government itself has no plan whatsoever.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on March 17, 2020, 04:41:20 AM

A most wise plan, but I'm still shocked that the government itself has no plan whatsoever.

But I posted  the Government's plan, that document from Imperial College is their plan.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 17, 2020, 04:38:23 AM
The story I heard was that unless you personally have a plan for fixing it then you shouldn't worry about it.

Remind me who said that.

I'm not worried about Americans or Brits accepting the current situation and you won't see me wringing my hands about it or copy-pasting articles about it and I'll sleep as usual tonight. t. I'm just saying that from my POV is inacceptable that they accept it. Whether they do something or not to address the problem is their business, not mine. I just expressed my view and move on.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mandryka on March 17, 2020, 04:01:38 AM
It may be negligent parenting rather than poverty.
It is typically either poverty - they don't have the money that day/week/whatever or broken families (drugs, abuse, etc.). Either way, a child who comes to school hungry simply will not be able to do much learning (certainly less than if they had a meal).

This is handled on a district by district level. In the district I live in, they are able to come to school a half hour early (for example) to get breakfast for free. During the corona thingy, the schools are doing a drive thru, where families can come to designated schools and pick up food at the curb.  But every school district has their own rules. I believe that most (if not all) big cities have a program.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 16, 2020, 02:51:11 PM
Any mask will remind you not to touch your mouth or nose, and touching your mouth or nose after touching a contaminated surface is the most common mode of transmission. You can consciously avoid people who might sneeze in your direction, but it's almost impossible to remember not to touch your face.
I heard other comments not long ago about you could actually end up touching your face more adjusting it from time to time, so??? :-\

PD

p.s.  I was using one outside not long ago (doing dusty yard work involving lawn mower) and I was constantly adjusting it and sometimes taking it off because it was so hot!
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Crudblud on March 17, 2020, 01:16:47 AM
Seems like I got me the ol' corona cough. Two mornings running I've had an irritation on my chest and throat, yesterday it cleared up as the day progressed but it is much more pronounced this morning. It's not a big deal in terms of self-isolation since I'm quite a solitary person and have worked from home for a number of years, but I am nonetheless concerned about disrupting family business with my viral shenanigans.
Hope you get better soon - and then you should be immune.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2020, 05:43:00 AM
Hope you get better soon - and then you should be immune.

+1. Take care!

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 17, 2020, 04:37:44 AM
Everyone here makes their own decisions about what to spend their money on, and how much attention to give their children.

I'm perfectly fine with everyone making their own decisions about what to spend their money on as long as their decision affects only themselves and nobody else; the moment a drunkard husband starts beating his wife it's the duty of the State to intervene and say: you can drunk yourself to death if you so wish, by all means go ahead, but if you cannot and will not stop beating your wife then we'll see to it that you'd better fucking stay away from her or else. Likewise, if parents decide to give their children only minimal food to keep them quiet because they want their money spent on other things, then it's the duty of the State to intervene and say: you can of course spend your money on anything you want but since you cannot and will not take proper care of your own children then we'll see to it that they are properly taken care of by somebody else.

Blimey, it took this bloody coronavirus crisis to realize I'm much more left-leaning than I ever thoght.  :laugh:

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2020, 02:12:00 AM
The Dutch government is (typically ;)) somewhere between Britain and the rest of Europe (like France, Spain, Italy): schools are closed, but there is no complete lockdown of/in the country. For the same reason as the Brits: protect the vulnerable groups, and let's give the stronger and healthy ones somehow the chance to build a natural 'group immunity' against the virus. (If I correct understandly, I'm not a medic.)
That sounds right to me. I noticed on the news yesterday that the Dutch government was following a not dissimilar policy to the UK.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 17, 2020, 02:25:49 AM
Wait a minute, Jeffrey and Jeffrey! Do you mean that in 2020 AD in two of the richest countries in the world there are still numerous families so poor that they can't even afford to feed their children and, absent the school meal(s), the poor kids would be starving?  :o :o :o

Children from poor families (and they do exist) may be eligible for free school meals and have a more nutritious diet than they get at home. The other dark issue is if the children are sent home into a situation of psychological/emotional neglect/abuse. There are many people around, and not only children, who feel safer and happier at school or work. This is a very difficult issue at the moment but there was an interesting discussion about it on the radio yesterday.

As a 60+ teacher I'm very aware of the risks of keeping the schools open but I do not think that the govt was necessarily wrong to do so.

By the way, I only represent the views of one Jeffrey here.   8)

André

Yesterday Canada closed its borders to all countries (meaning flights) except the USA. Much questions and criticism were raised as to why except the US from its emergency plan.

Word is that canadian authorities fear a trumpian anger fit (and its consequences) because that would be a confirmation that Trump denied, didn't anticipate, minimized and mismanaged the outbreak. For example, Canada has tested 25000 people so far. The USA has also tested 25000 people, but its population is 9 times larger. Clearly there is a prevalent state of unpreparedness and disorganization south of the border. Closing our border to the US would make Trump look bad. Very bad.

Why should that concern Trudeau and Canadians, then? 50% of our medical supplies come from the USA, and 80% of our commerce exchanges are with the US. A retaliatory move by Trump, such as keeping all med supplies for Americans only would be devastating to our health system's capacity to handle the crisis. Kind of Trump saying 'We're not going down alone'...

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2020, 05:56:37 AM
Children from poor families (and they do exist) may be eligible for free school meals and have a more nutritious diet than they get at home.

Note to SimonNZ: What I find inacceptable (from my own POV) is that such poor families still exist in one of the richest countries in the world, but if it is really a problem to be addressed it's for the UK people themselves to decide. I can only notice that apparently it's not, at least not for a critical mass of the UK people.

ritter

The current advice given by the UK government is to only seek professional help if/when symptoms become severe. They are totally ignoring the WHO's simple advice of "test, test, test", instead telling people to simply stay at home if they exhibit any symptoms. The NHS has been in dire straits for some time now, and the government seems to be taking the cheapo approach to public health during this crisis also. Doubts as to Johnson's fitness for office will surely be redoubled many times over as the situation progresses.

The cough has steadily abated over the course of the morning, as it did yesterday, but it's too early to say one way or the other whether this is a pattern of escalation or simply "one of those things", in fact impossible since (afaik) the NHS is not at present offering or even able to offer routine testing. I'm still young and healthy so I'm not worried for myself, the real concern is that I will heighten the risk posed to my elderly grandmother, who relies on my mother and I for help with shopping and other errands. The plan at this point is simply to keep myself clean and out of other people's way as much as possible.
Yes, the seems to be the most sensible approach. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Bon courage!

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on March 17, 2020, 03:08:30 AM
Shocking and unbelievable, yes. I'm beggining to wonder whether Poju is actually right.

There is no question that he is right. Just look at the personal nature of the responses to his observations, which focus on how radical a source he uses is and how unreasonably blinkered he is about a politician.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Iota

The cough has steadily abated over the course of the morning, as it did yesterday, but it's too early to say one way or the other whether this is a pattern of escalation or simply "one of those things", in fact impossible since (afaik) the NHS is not at present offering or even able to offer routine testing. I'm still young and healthy so I'm not worried for myself, the real concern is that I will heighten the risk posed to my elderly grandmother, who relies on my mother and I for help with shopping and other errands. The plan at this point is simply to keep myself clean and out of other people's way as much as possible.

Good luck!

My brother (in his sixties) had to be hospitalised with it, but now seems on the mend and imminently to be allowed home. His wife also picked it up at the same scientific conference in Boston, but went to France to visit her mother straight after before either of them knew, and is now stranded there. Her symptoms, though unpleasant, were not as bad and her fever now finally seems to have turned.

pjme

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2020, 05:56:37 AM
Children from poor families (and they do exist) may be eligible for free school meals and have a more nutritious diet than they get at home. The other dark issue is if the children are sent home into a situation of psychological/emotional neglect/abuse. There are many people around, and not only children, who feel safer and happier at school or work.

Exactly the situation in Belgium.
P.

André

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on March 17, 2020, 06:07:13 AM
     There is no question that he is right. Just look at the personal nature of the responses to his observations, which focus on how radical a source he uses is and how unreasonably blinkered he is about a politician.

C'est le ton qui fait la chanson . I think that not even you can seriously deny that saying "I'm right about cause X and all those who disagree with me are just idiots/brainswashed/ill-willed" can make a rational person sympathetic to cause X recoil in horror.

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on March 17, 2020, 06:20:46 AM
Exactly the situation in Belgium.
P.

OMG!!! The Western World is much more amiss than I've ever thought it was.

Marc

Quote from: Crudblud on March 17, 2020, 01:16:47 AM
Seems like I got me the ol' corona cough. Two mornings running I've had an irritation on my chest and throat, yesterday it cleared up as the day progressed but it is much more pronounced this morning. It's not a big deal in terms of self-isolation since I'm quite a solitary person and have worked from home for a number of years, but I am nonetheless concerned about disrupting family business with my viral shenanigans.

Be sure to call a doctor though if you really begin to suffer from breathing difficulties.
Stay safe!