Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

QuoteWe find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases, home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and deaths  by  half. However, the  resulting  mitigated  epidemic  would  still likely  result  in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over. For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option.

IOW, medical darwinism is the preferred policy option: whoever will survive will get stronger and good for them!, whoever will die bad luck for them!.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

To be continued,

Feel free to comment meanwhile.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

A bit of (mostly) humor (add a 'u' if you must) to try and lighten things up here for a brief moment anyway.  From the tennis world (various players, organizations, etc.) after the announcement that Roland Garros (the French Open) had been moved to the end of September and on dealing with the virus, quarantine, etc....

https://twitter.com/TennysSandgren/status/1238155503345135617?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1238155503345135617&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.atptour.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2Fwawrinka-cilic-best-social-media-post-march-2020
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

IRS gives Americans 3-month break to file taxes
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Finland started to take political actions this week and it feels like we are at war against Corona. I'm nervous for my dad, 81 who is alone home avoiding all social contacts. I don't care about US politics right now. I have enough problems in my life. I feel my "quota" is full. I concentrate on my own well-being now. Sure, Finland is a well-functioning society with good infrastructure to deal with problems like this, but it's serious nevertheless. Just week ago my life was quite normal. Now I am planning my grocery store visits to minimaze interactions with other people... ...so I have no energy and interest to follow "latest polls" in primary states etc. stuff.

Fuck China for creating this mess!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 17, 2020, 01:29:26 PM
IRS gives Americans 3-month break to file taxes
Pardon, but I'm not quite certain if your comment is totally accurate Karl.  One article that I looked at on a news website said that one still needed to file on time, but it sounded like one might (depending upon eligibility?) then not have to pay (if you do owe) the amount due for 90 days without incurring interest and/or penalties?

I'd advise anyone to check with either your (if you have one) tax preparer and/or the IRS website (might not be up to date yet as far as I can see?).  And also check with your state to see if they are offering any breaks too.

Hard to keep up with all of the news and ideas at the moment!  No criticism meant too Karl.  I'm struggling at this end to follow all of the news, possible breaks, economic stimuli, etc.!

Confused at this end,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2020, 03:15:04 PM
Pardon, but I'm not quite certain if your comment is totally accurate Karl.  One article that I looked at on a news website said that one still needed to file on time, but it sounded like one might (depending upon eligibility?) then not have to pay (if you do owe) the amount due for 90 days without incurring interest and/or penalties?

I'd advise anyone to check with either your (if you have one) tax preparer and/or the IRS website (might not be up to date yet as far as I can see?).  And also check with your state to see if they are offering any breaks too.

Hard to keep up with all of the news and ideas at the moment!  No criticism meant too Karl.  I'm struggling at this end to follow all of the news, possible breaks, economic stimuli, etc.!

Confused at this end,

PD

It's all confusing, and all that you'ved said, taken in good part, P.D.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Last of the 50 states to do so, W. Virginia confirms its first case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2020, 03:15:04 PM

Confused at this end,

PD
According to this, we still have to file by 4/15, but that might be changed.
https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax-compliance/news/21129660/2020-tax-season-payment-deadline-extended-to-july-15-as-nation-fights-coronavirus-irs-news

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on March 17, 2020, 02:06:35 PM
Finland started to take political actions this week and it feels like we are at war against Corona. I'm nervous for my dad, 81 who is alone home avoiding all social contacts. I don't care about US politics right now. I have enough problems in my life. I feel my "quota" is full. I concentrate on my own well-being now. Sure, Finland is a well-functioning society with good infrastructure to deal with problems like this, but it's serious nevertheless. Just week ago my life was quite normal. Now I am planning my grocery store visits to minimaze interactions with other people... ...so I have no energy and interest to follow "latest polls" in primary states etc. stuff.

Fuck China for creating this mess!

That's not very different from what is going on here, and many other places. May you and your father stay safe and healthy.

Among other things the panic buyers in my area have all bought up is laundry detergent.  I have told the German word for panic buying like that is Hamsterkauf. I hope it is, because it is so fitting.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on March 17, 2020, 03:45:33 PM
That's not very different from what is going on here, and many other places. May you and your father stay safe and healthy.

Among other things the panic buyers in my area have all bought up is laundry detergent.  I have told the German word for panic buying like that is Hamsterkauf. I hope it is, because it is so fitting.
I noticed that a week ago or so too!  I was perplexed at first.  I told one of the employees there that I was surprised and he mentioned that people were trying to avoid coming in to shop so often; I replied that I was just getting very low on detergent.   :(  I have since managed to acquire some more.

And I like that German term!  Very appropriate!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Finland started to take political actions this week and it feels like we are at war against Corona. I'm nervous for my dad, 81 who is alone home avoiding all social contacts....

I wish all of the best for you, your family, friends, and country.  We're all facing uncharted waters and it's scary; you're not alone.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

I saw that yesterday morning too, but then I've seen some on the shelves yesterday afternoon and today. So maybe just slow to put more back. What is really a problem is getting meat. They sell out of chicken within an hour of putting it out. Though, they did still have ground meat. 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

drogulus

I'm doing nothing as hard as I can. Ordinarily I do it effortlessly.

I don't care about US politics right now. I have enough problems in my life.

That's disappointing. I hope you come back with a sword in your hand.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

First case in the city:

Coronavirus in NZ: Tourist faces deportation after arriving in Christchurch without self-isolation plans

"A tourist who arrived in New Zealand yesterday is being deported after officials found she had no clear plans to self-isolate amid escalating coronavirus fears.

The woman checked in to Rucksacker backpackers hostel in Christchurch last night wearing a face mask.

She did not show any flu symptoms nor had she mixed with other hostel residents, it's understood.

The hostel manager, who asked not to be named, said the woman, who was apparently travelling on her own for a fortnight trip and had a pre-existing booking, was checked in to a private room.

But this morning, Ministry of Health officials arrived at the hostel to question the woman about her self-isolation plans, before police officers showed up to take her away.

"She was a little bit stressed out but she wasn't creating a scene or anything," the hostel manager told the Herald.

"I got told that she was being taken to be put on a plane."

The manager was told by officials that the woman's self-isolation plans were not thorough enough for her to stay in the country.

The manager did not know what country she had arrived from or where she was being sent to.

"I don't think she would have contaminated anybody but I guess it's just a precaution," she said.

"It was a very eventful morning. It's a quiet wee hostel, we don't really get things like this happening. [The other guests] were fine, they were just curious as to what was going on. No-one was panicky or anything."

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield confirmed the plan to deport the woman at his daily press conference - and said spot checks on other travellers would start from today.

"There was a traveller who came in yesterday ... who was unwilling to commit to self-isolating for the two-week period, and said her intention was to continue with her travels," he said.

"That person has been found and still appears to be unwilling. So the intention is therefore to deport that person."

Bloomfield said the case was unique so far.

"There has been the odd person who has come through and perhaps expressed the view they weren't going to self-isolate, and they've been spoken to and convinced that it is the right thing to do.

"We are also starting, from today, the spot checks on people who are self-isolating, just to help reassure us and other New Zealanders that people are doing the right thing."

Bloomfield said he had some sympathy for travellers whose plans to see Aotearoa were upended, but the restrictions were vital.

"I can understand why someone who might have planned a trip for a long time - two weeks to New Zealand - might be disappointed to arrive and find, right at the 11th hour, that they can't travel around the country.

71 dB

Thanks. I wish the same to you.

Quote from: JBS on March 17, 2020, 03:45:33 PMAmong other things the panic buyers in my area have all bought up is laundry detergent.  I have told the German word for panic buying like that is Hamsterkauf. I hope it is, because it is so fitting.

https://qz.com/

There are even empty supermarket shelves in Germany amid the coronavirus outbreak, and of course there's a good German word to describe the act of panic hoarding.

The word Hamsterkauf, a noun made up of "hoarding" (hamstern) and "buy" (kaufen) has been trending on social media as people share photos of store shelves cleared out of food and other household items. The word "hamstern" comes from the hamster, which stores food in its cheeks.

We have the word "hamstrata" / "hamstraus" in Finnish language meaning "to hoard" / "hoarding."
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on March 17, 2020, 05:31:48 PM
Thanks. I wish the same to you.

https://qz.com/

There are even empty supermarket shelves in Germany amid the coronavirus outbreak, and of course there's a good German word to describe the act of panic hoarding.

The word Hamsterkauf, a noun made up of "hoarding" (hamstern) and "buy" (kaufen) has been trending on social media as people share photos of store shelves cleared out of food and other household items. The word "hamstern" comes from the hamster, which stores food in its cheeks.

We have the word "hamstrata" / "hamstraus" in Finnish language meaning "to hoard" / "hoarding."

Best wishes, Poju!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA